Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

problem with factory navi

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
born2die7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with factory navi

hi just got a 2nd hand 350z..can anyone please tell me how to turn on the navigation? the previous owner said it turns on when u start the engine but it isnt...he might have reset something cause im sure it was working when he took me for a test ride. does anyone have the same problem or knows the solution for this problem? apperciated for ur help

Last edited by born2die7; 07-05-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM
SilverFox006

This might is a stupid question but is the disc in the player behind the seat? If it is, then just hit the Direction toggle/Enter on the Nav interface.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is an even wilder question... Did the previous owner supply you with the Operating Manual for the Navigation System?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by born2die7
hi just got a 2nd hand 350z..can anyone please tell me how to turn on the navigation? the previous owner said it turns on when u start the engine but it isnt...he might have reset something cause im sure it was working when he took me for a test ride. does anyone have the same problem or knows the solution for this problem? apperciated for ur help
The nav door should open and the screen comes on at start up. Is the door opening, pausing for a few seconds and then closing? If there is a problem with the nav door alignment, it is possible the door will open to a blank screen and then close.

I assume there is a physical switch attached to the door track that detects the door is open. If the cubby / nav door is bumped away from the internal switch, then the Nav system thinks the door is still closed.

Try gently nudging the nav door to the left or right when it is open. See if your screen comes on to the disclaimer page. (Legal crap that you have to agree to for the nav to start up.)

Next question, is the Nav getting power? Turn on the headlights and see if the Nav buttons light up. If not, the previous owner may have removed the dash cover to install or swap out a headunit or something and forgot to plug in the harness into the button console. See service manual to lift up the button console of the NAV. Tape up a flat head and pry it up.

If the Nav on the console gets power, is the DVD unit behind the driver getting power? Press the disc eject button. Is there a disc in there? Not sure if the lack of disc will prevent the Nav screen from appearing.

I'd lay money it's the door causing the problem.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:54 PM
born2die7

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
The nav door should open and the screen comes on at start up. Is the door opening, pausing for a few seconds and then closing? If there is a problem with the nav door alignment, it is possible the door will open to a blank screen and then close.

I assume there is a physical switch attached to the door track that detects the door is open. If the cubby / nav door is bumped away from the internal switch, then the Nav system thinks the door is still closed.

Try gently nudging the nav door to the left or right when it is open. See if your screen comes on to the disclaimer page. (Legal crap that you have to agree to for the nav to start up.)

Next question, is the Nav getting power? Turn on the headlights and see if the Nav buttons light up. If not, the previous owner may have removed the dash cover to install or swap out a headunit or something and forgot to plug in the harness into the button console. See service manual to lift up the button console of the NAV. Tape up a flat head and pry it up.

If the Nav on the console gets power, is the DVD unit behind the driver getting power? Press the disc eject button. Is there a disc in there? Not sure if the lack of disc will prevent the Nav screen from appearing.

I'd lay money it's the door causing the problem.
Yes the disc is in the player and also when i turn on my headlights the light on nav turns on as well. I tried to contact the owner and he said that nvr happened to him...maybe ill take it back to nissan to check up. =(

And no, it doesn't even get to the disclaimer, the screen stays off.

Last edited by born2die7; 07-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 PM
born2die7

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Here is an even wilder question... Did the previous owner supply you with the Operating Manual for the Navigation System?
No he did not but i googled for the operating manual. read through the whole thing still no help.

Last edited by born2die7; 07-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by born2die7
Yes the disc is in the player and also when i turn on my headlights the light on nav turns on as well. I tried to contact the owner and he said that nvr happened to him...maybe ill take it back to nissan to check up. =(

And no, it doesn't even get to the disclaimer, the screen stays off.
Does the Nav door want to close 5 seconds after opening up? (I assume the motorized NAV door is working on its own.)

I had this issue after installing a HU. I guess I dislodged the door in removing the console. I got it back aligned and it works fine now.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
born2die7

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Does the Nav door want to close 5 seconds after opening up? (I assume the motorized NAV door is working on its own.)

I had this issue after installing a HU. I guess I dislodged the door in removing the console. I got it back aligned and it works fine now.

Good luck!
Haha thanks man just did wat you said. didnt know you have to push the navi door all the way down till u hear a click sound...now its working!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Golfpro525

mine does that, it opens and then closes cause no screen came on, so how do you re align the door???
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Fly350

I tried this. I just wiggled the door when it opened. The door stayed up and the screen came on. I ended up realigning the console and now it opens and stays (no wiggling needed).
Thanks for the fix.