Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Audio set-up and exact speaker size question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
imp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audio set-up and exact speaker size question

Hi,

I'm about to exchange my BS OEM equipment into something that actually plays music. Looking at Pioneer AVH3200BT and a pair of Infinity Kappas to start with. I'll see how it plays on factory wiring and amp and potentially replace those next year.

The question is - Infinity makes 2 sizes of 6.5'' Kappas: 60.9 (160mm) and 65.9 (165mm). Which one should I get?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you may want to plan on using an amp on them
Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by imp
Hi,

I'm about to exchange my BS OEM equipment into something that actually plays music. Looking at Pioneer AVH3200BT and a pair of Infinity Kappas to start with. I'll see how it plays on factory wiring and amp and potentially replace those next year.

The question is - Infinity makes 2 sizes of 6.5'' Kappas: 60.9 (160mm) and 65.9 (165mm). Which one should I get?
If your intention is using the stock door mount... It's not the width you need to be so concerned with, but rather the depth-from-wall measurement.

What is the depth value for the speakers you are considering?

--Spike
Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 AM
imp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this be the value we're looking for?
top-mount depth: 2-7/16"

Full spec/dimension sheet can be found here: http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...i_language.pdf

@ 350zspl - why would you recommend an amp? Both the current amp and Kappas are 2 Ohm and I'm not looking for a lot of in-cabin pressure Any other reason?

Last edited by imp; 08-11-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adding an amp is hardly about sound pressure, and you cant generate much sound pressure from a pair of 6.5s anyway hehe

why you would want to add an amp is becuase a good aftermarket amp will produce a MUCh cleaner signal to the sepakers than the puny and crappy stock amp. also, with an aftermarket amp, you will be able to high pass filter the speakers, and keep them cleaner. one of hte reaons why the stock system sounds so bad is becuase they are trying to make a 6.5" class speaker play all the way down.

but i would say you will have a hard time fitting the kappa inside the stock location, it can be done, but just need to be very careful. in order to clear the window on the back when its in the down position, you need to space it out quite a bit, but when you do, you run the risk of coming too close to the front door skin.

b
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by imp
Can this be the value we're looking for?
top-mount depth: 2-7/16"

Full spec/dimension sheet can be found here: http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...i_language.pdf

@ 350zspl - why would you recommend an amp? Both the current amp and Kappas are 2 Ohm and I'm not looking for a lot of in-cabin pressure Any other reason?
Yes, that is the measurement you need to determine if the speaker fits into the stock door mount.

2-7/16” is going to be really close. It might not fit properly. For example, I tried very hard to fit a Focal 165 V2 speaker (Depth from wall: 68mm (2.7") into the stock door mount, and finally gave up. I could stuff it in there, but had problems with window operation. When I spaced it outward far enough to allow window operation, it was bumping against the door panel. This is the problem that Bing mentions.

I went with Focal 165 V Slim - Depth from wall: 56mm (2.2"). That fit well into the stock door mount.

A couple of other points:
  • Your H/U’s internal amp lacks enough power to do justice with these component speakers. When you buy the speakers, look for offers that bundle a 4 channel Infinity external amp (I see this deal occasionally – a 4 channel Infinity amp bundled with Kappa’s). The Infinity external amps are decent and will provide much better sound with your new speakers.

• If you find a speaker you like and discover it won’t fit the stock door mount, consider using a different mount (kicks or door pods). That adds expense, but greatly improves your sound. Be aware that the stock speaker grille in the door only allows about 40% sound transmission.

It's never easy when doing a better installation,

--Spike