Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HELP needed with Avic D3 Eq Menu

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Linuxglobal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP needed with Avic D3 Eq Menu

Hi Guys

i have an avid d3 in my 06 350z with the stock bose speakers (originally had a bose HU, no nav).

I used the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 module to connect the pioneer avic d3. My ROEM pac module is wired according to the DIY guide for bose headunits, all speakers are connected to the high line (low is left untouched,taped off).

However my music sounds like crap now, its certainly louder and has more base but its not nice and crisp. The base sort of takes over. I also noticed that if i turn off the subwoofer setting the sub still works so perhaps its not independently set like i thought.

Perhaps there is some sort of guide to what settings work the best on the Avic d3? Maybe like a list of settings to get some decent sound of it. Right now i have it completely factory settings, adjusted to Powerful on eq menu. The other settings sound awful or have way too much base.

Im on the verge of just swapping my stock bose HU back in, it sounded pretty good to me, at least the base wasnt crazy loud to take over the music.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 09-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
idkorcare

Try using a normal Nissan harness. Pioneer radios have enough volume range that you do not need that output level adjuster harness and personally I always feel like they lower sound quality. Other than that you just have to play thru the eq settings. You sound have one called "vocal" i think that keeps the bass flat and only boosts the highs.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Linuxglobal

Thanks for the quick reply

I tinkered a bit with the eq menu and i kept the powerful setting but modified a bit.

1. Custom 1, powerful with a 0db on the low section bars.
2. Loudness ON, set to low
3. SLA off
4. HPA off
5. Subwoofer ON, Normal, mid frequency
6. Staging set to off, i tried certain options and they sound good but too much bass. OFF has the best sound with the above settings from what i have found.

It sounds better now, closer to the bose but with a little bit more bass which is nice The sound also doesnt crackle like it used to.

I hope this helps others who ran in the same issue, i am going to post some screen shots as well in case i missed some settings.

Cheers
C
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would assume that the optimal setting would be really subjective and depend on what type of music you listen to.

I listen to mostly electronica/dub/hip hop so I like my settings with loudness off, and staging set to theater if I recall correctly.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by Waizzz
I would assume that the optimal setting would be really subjective and depend on what type of music you listen to.

I listen to mostly electronica/dub/hip hop so I like my settings with loudness off, and staging set to theater if I recall correctly.
Its extremely subjective, especially seeing how easy it is to customize the eq on the avic d3.

Thats why I actually wanted to test some settings, i will try yours as well.

Mine was tested with dance/house, hip hop/rap, and punk rock. From memory of my bose they sound nearly the same now with the avic. I just remember my bose being very crisp even if i turned the volume to the max, with my initial d3 settings i could hear the speakers begin to get fuzzy at loud volume and greatly lose clarity. The bose was also very vocal, even with the bass turned up.

I just miss the simplicity of bose i guess. Im kind of distracted now when i drive since i can do so much more with the D3, plus i cant hear the engine anymore
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If bass is causing distortion, you can also look at adjusting your HPF (High Pass Filter), so that no bass is coming from the OEM speakers, just the sub.

I had the same problem when I put my system in. Used to have an Avic-D2, now I have an Alpine system. Lots of distortion coming from the speakers. As soon as I adjusted the high pass filter, things cleared up perfectly.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by dmroberson
If bass is causing distortion, you can also look at adjusting your HPF (High Pass Filter), so that no bass is coming from the OEM speakers, just the sub.

I had the same problem when I put my system in. Used to have an Avic-D2, now I have an Alpine system. Lots of distortion coming from the speakers. As soon as I adjusted the high pass filter, things cleared up perfectly.
I have HPF OFF right now.

Should i set the HPF high or low? Would a high HPF setting reduce distortion?

Thanks for the heads up. Im glad im not the only one with this little issue.

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 09-08-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
Its extremely subjective, especially seeing how easy it is to customize the eq on the avic d3.

Thats why I actually wanted to test some settings, i will try yours as well.

Mine was tested with dance/house, hip hop/rap, and punk rock. From memory of my bose they sound nearly the same now with the avic. I just remember my bose being very crisp even if i turned the volume to the max, with my initial d3 settings i could hear the speakers begin to get fuzzy at loud volume and greatly lose clarity. The bose was also very vocal, even with the bass turned up.

I just miss the simplicity of bose i guess. Im kind of distracted now when i drive since i can do so much more with the D3, plus i cant hear the engine anymore
Here are my settings that I've used for awhile, let me know if you like them.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Linuxglobal

did you have bose original speakers?

Any modules along the way ?

I will try your setup and see how it works out
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Yep, original Bose speakers and the PAC module. Still going strong after 4 years.

99% of the time this setting is great except for a few tracks from Kanyes 808's and Heartbreaks.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
I have HPA OFF right now.

Should i set the HPA high or low? Would a high HPA setting reduce distortion?

Thanks for the heads up. Im glad im not the only one with this little issue.
Start out low, and keep adjusting until the distortion is gone. My Z is in the shop getting repaired right now, so I don't remember where mine is set, exactly, but I believe it's not very high.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
idkorcare

Going to point out a couple things in case your or anyone else doenst know how they work.

If you have you radio wired up to the Bose system using the speaker wire outputs from the radio(no Bose adapter) or using just the Front and Rear Rcas(normally like this with Bose adapters) The sub controls in the radio will do nothing, nada, zip. They only work if you are using the sub RCA output.

Second, the HPF(high pass filter) cuts out all bass below whatever freq you set it at for all the output except the sub RCA output.

The Bose sub does not does not get its own separate signal, it feeds off the rears I think.

Normally you would not use the sub out and leave the HPF alone along with none of the sub controls working. That will send signals out the same as the Bose radio originally did.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Linuxglobal

played around a bit more, i found few settings that worked for my taste if others want to try them out with their beats sometime

I wish the avic d3 would have something like a profile setup (ie driver 1, driver 2) that way you could store your settings and try out new ones

Here are some screen shots

I also added 3 amber superflux leds in the center storage and 2 to replace the original cup holder bulb which would have probably died soon anyways.

I can take better pics if anyone is interested to add those little mods. The center storage also has a switch to turn on the leds when its open Switch is on the rear hinge under all of the plastics so its not even seen.

enjoy