Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

DNX7100 Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:39 PM
nova350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DNX7100 Review

Alright, I've been promising a review of my Kenwood DNX7100 that I got from Nazar (thanks!)

I'll save everyone an exhaustive description of what it is, but to keep it short it's a double-din, 6.95" touchscreen DVD/Video/iPod/Integrated Nav/XM head unit.

The Good:
* Great sound quality - Though I'm no audiophile, I think it sounds great combined with my Alpine Type-R coax speakers and Alpine Type-R sub.
* DVD Player is cool - DVD player works great, I didn't take any pictures as I didn't see any need. Trust me though, it works.
* Everything Navigation - Love the navigation. My 2005 Pathfinder has the Nissan OEM Nav, and this blows it away in every possible way. It's extremely fast, and incredibly more accurate. I love the interface, and having a touchscreen to program destinations is a huge improvement over the joystick.
* DivX playback support - This is a great feature, and I've already made use of it.
* iPod Control - The high-speed iPod controls are fantastic. iPod video is extremely cool, and searching through my audio playlists (even with 7000+ songs) is extremely fast and easy. Can't say enough good things about it. I wish I could've taken some pictures of the iPod connected, but my wife stole it for her roadtrip today.
* FM Tuner with RDS - I'm sort of a nerd about this, and very few aftermarket headunits (particularly in the DVD/Nav market) support this. Great job to Kenwood for adding this feature for geeks like me.

The not so good (not bad really, just not so good):
* XM Radio with the GXM30 Antenna (for NavTraffic/XM Data support) - So this is my biggest gripe, and honestly I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about it. Physically the antenna is fine, I like how the mount turned out, and reception is good. What I absolutely hate is that the XM Radio control is in the Navigation portion of the head unit. It's very counter-intuitive for me. It's awkward bouncing back-and-forth inside the nav menus all the time. That said, the NavTraffic is great. If I had it to do over again, as much as I like NavTraffic and the data services from XM, I'm not sure if I would go this route again. I think having XM integrated with the rest of the unit (meaning where the iPod Controls, AM/FM Tuner, DVD controls, etc. are) for me is a bigger deal. I've spent the money and the time to set it all up the way I have it though, so it's likely going to stay.
* Lack of customizability with the front LEDs - I knew it didn't support this when I bought it, so I'm not going to complain too loudly, but I wish I could color match the LEDs to the rest of the dash. The AVIC-D3 supports such things.
* Lack of UI Themes - Similar to above. Would've been a nice feature to change the look and feel. Custom backgrounds are good enough I guess.

---

All in all, I love the unit. Kenwood did a great job with it, and I have no regrets in going with this unit. For me, it came down to the DNX7100 and the Pioneer AVIC-Z2. I feel I made the right choice.

---

Here are pics...

GXM30 Antenna:

Picture of the unit from the hatch:

A little closer:

Booting:

XM Playing through the Nav interface:

Navigation (in Night mode - without a route programmed):

Navigation Tools Menu:

Navigation Trip Computer thing:

XM NavTraffic overview of all traffic near me:

XM NavTraffic detail of the first traffic point listed:

Stock data from XM (Go Google!):

GPS Info (I guess that sort of pinpoints where I am, oh well):

Source Selection:

FM Tuner Display with RDS (it just happened to say WJFK at the moment):

iPod Connection in the OEM Nav Cubby:

Better pic of it installed:

Screen open:
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up. Just an idea, you can mount the GXM30 under the plastic piece you have it sitting on and it will work fine. It will see through plastic just fine. What did you wire up to the external switches?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 PM
nova350z

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Great write up. Just an idea, you can mount the GXM30 under the plastic piece you have it sitting on and it will work fine. It will see through plastic just fine. What did you wire up to the external switches?
Really? I'll have to give that a shot, great idea.

Nothing right now on the external switch, it just likes to show it as active. I suspect I could probably disable it
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 AM
gt3

Thanks for the review...the xm traffic is nifty!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:33 AM
RunyonAve

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
I was also just going to say this. Mine is under and works flawlessly. Don't put an eye sore out in the open like that. You won't regret putting it under the plastic.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:47 AM
denic79

I also just bought the 7100. Awsome setup. The only problem I had was the trim peice around the screen doesnt fit well. I had to shave it down. Theres still a gap on the side of it. I will take some pics and post it. How did you get yours to fit perfect.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 AM
THE TECH

I'm gonna have to move my XM antenna I think. I just put it under passenger side dash and there's not so good reception
Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by denic79
I also just bought the 7100. Awsome setup. The only problem I had was the trim peice around the screen doesnt fit well. I had to shave it down. Theres still a gap on the side of it. I will take some pics and post it. How did you get yours to fit perfect.
Get the Metra kit.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 AM
THE TECH

Anyone using the video ipod connection, let me know how it works for you. I got the cable, but I still can't see anything on my Farenheit when I put the ipod on the av-out.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
nova350z

Originally Posted by denic79
Didn't do anything fancy. It's not the metra kit though.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 AM
nova350z

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Anyone using the video ipod connection, let me know how it works for you. I got the cable, but I still can't see anything on my Farenheit when I put the ipod on the av-out.
iPod Video works great for me, but I'm not outputting it anywhere, as I don't have a second screen.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 AM
RunyonAve

Is there a way to output the video ipod to the farenheit while still keeping the farenheit attachted to the head unit?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM
nova350z

Originally Posted by RunyonAve
Is there a way to output the video ipod to the farenheit while still keeping the farenheit attachted to the head unit?
I believe you're supposed to be able to route any of the video (other than the navigation) to the external display.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by nova350z
I believe you're supposed to be able to route any of the video (other than the navigation) to the external display.
That's what I thought, but not exactly. I'm still trying to get it figured out. DVD definitely works as well as the backup camera. Other than those two, I can't get anything else.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 AM
nova350z

Originally Posted by THE TECH
That's what I thought, but not exactly. I'm still trying to get it figured out. DVD definitely works as well as the backup camera. Other than those two, I can't get anything else.
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have an external display to test
Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you HAVE to have an external display for these other sources or will it display on the unit's screen just fine?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Do you HAVE to have an external display for these other sources or will it display on the unit's screen just fine?
NO, 7100 will play all the stuff fine on its own.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Very good review.

Question: Where is the SD slot on the DNX 7100?

--Spike
Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Nismo Z

what kit is used to install this particular unit? im planning on purchasing this unit in the near future...thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
nova350z

Originally Posted by Spike100
Very good review.

Question: Where is the SD slot on the DNX 7100?

--Spike
It's actually under the DVD slot. The screen will slide down a little more to reveal it if you hold the eject button for a few seconds.

edit:

Here's a picture...

Quick Reply: DNX7100 Review