Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

subwoofer behind drivers seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 PM
smaqaho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer behind drivers seat

so i read the previous threads on how some people said this wouldnt work and sound like ****, but im hard headed and had a day off work today and came up with a little something, with the help of a local audio shop of course

here is the end result (sorry for the cell pic, its all i had at the moment)

surprisingly it sounds really good to me, and to begin with i didnt have very high expectations and wasnt looking to blow the rear view mirror off the windshield anyway. i just wanted a little more kick to my music and i achieved that. all we did really was take off the precut factory metal sheet where the factory sub went and took it out and put carpet on it. we then attached 3/4 in mdf board to the backside of the metal and placed it back in the car. this is to kill any rattle caused by the sub against the metal. we placed the sub on top of the center of the factory blank door and cut out the center. i did this b/c i wanted the final result to flow and look as close to factory as possible, with the exception of a speaker grill (which i chose not to place over the plastic) i think it came out pretty well.

now i am sure this exact same setup in a sealed box would hit harder, but i wasnt concerned about that, i just wanted a little more thump to the music, and this setup did more than that. the only downside to this setup is when the rear hatch is open, too much air escapes and causes a lack of pressure inside the area. the way i see to fix that is to just place dynamat in that area to create an airtight area. but i dont ride down the road with the hatch open anyway so i didnt let that bother me

Last edited by smaqaho; 10-11-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
sex-Z

looks great!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM
killa.beez33

I've heard putting a sub in the stock location doesn't sound good, and the spot(behind the driver seat) doesn't sound too good....
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM
smaqaho

Originally Posted by killa.beez33
I've heard putting a sub in the stock location doesn't sound good, and the spot(behind the driver seat) doesn't sound too good....
i guess thats what they say. maybe mounting one straight into the metal cutout does, i guess adding that piece of wood to the back of the cutout helped the sound by sealing off the open holes, b/c it sounds clear and deep. i'm sure in a sealed box built to the dimensions of this sub would produce louder db at the same volume, but for my specific purpose, it sounds better than i expected.