Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 10:39 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting

For all of you struggling with the mounting of the Pioneer 8400 and higher, or Pioneer premier 840 and higher units, I came up with what I think is a nice solution. I will attach some pics below.

Basically I used a metra kit, in combination with Wadd3456's Z DIN plate. The metra kit alone made my head unit stick out too much due to the upper curved area of the pocket preventing the face from opening up properly. To fix this, you had to not allow the head unit to be fully recess-mounted. The metra kit overall is well designed and works great for 90% of the DIN and other sized head units on the market. I happened to pick a head unit that did not work well with the metra kit right out of the box. So, I have been looking for an alternative to provide a more stock appearance to the overall head unit installation.

I found a thread by Wadd3456 where he was selling these nicely laid out brushed stainless steel laser cut Z DIN plates. I bought one hoping that it would fix all of my worries...instead it made my Pioneer head unit stick out even more, and although I loved the laser cut Z emblem in his kit, I did not like the way it made my head unit look liek a monster trying to escape the depths of my dash. So, I opted for a combination of both the Z plate and the metra kit to achieve a more stock-like appearance, and to completely flush mount my Pioneer Premier head unit.

The mod was relaitively simple. I took a sharp knife and trimmed off the curved area above the storage pocket, just under the DIN opening of the metra kit. Then, I cut about 1/4" off of that same (now straight) edge. This allowed me to flush mount the head unit, without interference from the upper ledge of the metra kit's storage pocket. After I cleaned up this upper ledge and the sides that meet it, I trimmed the Z DIN plate to slightly larger than the size I needed. I meticulously filed away the sides and top for a perfect fit into the pocket and just below the head unit trim piece. It was impossible to eliminate the trim piece due to the fact that it covers alot of hinges and motors inside the faceplate that folds down on powerup. The Z plate did not require any mount hardware due to the tight fit.

What I have now is a modified metra kit, that allows me to flush mount my Premier head unit (the main goal), and is finished with Wadd3456's attractive laser cut Z emblem. The whole install looks alot more stock, and I think I am finally happy with the appearance of my head unit in the car.

I will attach a few pics below to the final results.

Closed:
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-head_unit_closed.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 AM
onecoolee

One more... (open):
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-head_unit_open.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
onecoolee

Another Closed (side shot):
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-head_unit_closed_side.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
onecoolee

One more (open/side shot):
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-head_unit_open_side.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 AM
onecoolee

I guess i will post the pics of hte rest of my system while I am at it...

AMP rack:
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-amp_rack.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:46 AM
onecoolee

Subwoofer -- custom fiberglass enclosure, containing .75 cuft of space and mounted in left rear hatch well. Uses 1 JL Audio 10w6v2-D4 sub.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-sub_side.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:47 AM
onecoolee

Another (Audio Control EQX-II), EQ/x-over:
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-glovebox1.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 AM
onecoolee

Old mounting (Metra kit only):
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-headunit_closeup_closed1.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 AM
onecoolee

Old mounting (Z DIN plate only):
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-zplate_mount.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 10:58 AM
onecoolee

Finished (combination of Wadd3456 DIN Z plate and Metra kit):
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting-open_combination.jpg  
Old 12-03-2003, 11:02 AM
djkern
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why did you change it? the old way with the z din plate looks better. the way you have it now looks like there is a big gap all the way around. the old way it was, at least, flush. right?

i see why you did it. it sits further back.

either way...it looks good...but looks better the old way IMO (but, the old way sits too far forward).
Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 AM
onecoolee

right, with the Z plate only the head unit just sticks out too far...I wanted something that was almsot or close to flush mounted with the entire console, like the stock head unit.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:33 AM
patrickswg

Is Wadd3456's still selling those din plates? how do i get in contact with him. thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 12:10 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by onecoolee
right, with the Z plate only the head unit just sticks out too far...I wanted something that was almsot or close to flush mounted with the entire console, like the stock head unit.
if wadd is still making this plate, i wonder if he can make the top part further back so the head unit doesn't stick out as far. i agree with you...the head unit was sticking out too far before. how do you like that head unit?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:15 PM
onecoolee

He is still making them...plus a few other add-ons for your Z. Here is a link to his site, I ordered and received the plate the same week, so he provides good service. I also talked to him about some modifications on the plate and he told me he could do anything I wanted, so he is great to work with too...I never had him do the mods for me as I was happy with the cutout I did...

His site:
http://www.extremespeedonline.com/sk/
Old 12-03-2003, 12:37 PM
patrickswg

thanks onecoolee, i like your headunit it looks better than mine and i got the 940mp. i was actually considering getting that unit but i decided i wanted all the bells and whistles so i opted for the 940mp. ironic part is i dont even use a lot of the features on it but oh well. looks nice good job
Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 AM
lascala26

Just curious...what color are the lights on the Pioneer Premier DEH-P840MP Head Unit?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 PM
onecoolee

very bright blue...I never found a way to change them.

If anyone finds info on how to change the Premier illumination, I would consider changing mine out. The display itself is blue and the buttons are bright blue...I am not sure how they would look in amber, but I woul try it out just to see...

Overall this is a great head unit, and its worth having non-matching illumination for the great sound this baby puts out !
Old 12-04-2003, 12:31 PM
lascala26

Does this head unit allow you to change the timing in the car in order to produce the best possible imaging. I think it looks great, but the blue lights are disappointing.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
onecoolee

I don't recall any time delay features or DSP of that nature built-in, but I could be wrong. I haven't used 1/10 of the features on this head unit yet, even though I have had it almost a year. There are alot of equalization schemes and they are all cusomizable, but I do not think there are delay features.

I can look in the manual if you are really interested ??

My rears are turned so far down, my imaging is all in front anyways, and as long as you have decent speakers the imaging is not too bad in the Z. A center channel would be a nice addition though, and it would lift the front stage up a little and give it more depth. I guess if you placed your speakers carefully, you could achieve the same results with door panels...but I want to keep the car as stock as possible, and the Bose wasn't cutting it, so I made a good choice in using this head unit...I am very happy with it so far...

Quick Reply: Pioneer Premier DEH-840mp head unit mounting