Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear speakers really quiet

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
ejs0806

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speakers really quiet

I Just got my Z and stock stereo kinda sucks.. My sisters stock tirburon sounds waay better and its crap.. The rear speakers are barely on. And they look Big enough that should be loud as hell... If i turn the fronts off and rears on all the way i have to turn the volume to 20ish for it to be normal cruising volume. Is this normal?? If i simply replace those speakers with aftermaarket ones will they be louder or is there not enough power getting to them or something?? I also have stock deck and everything and just basic set up not bose. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 AM
b00b00

The stock speakers just suck. Even the bose on the touring. My mazdaspeed 3 is almost 3 times as loud. The speaker set up looks cool right? :P

Just buy a couple decent 6 1/2's. It be a nice cheap upgrade if your into loud music.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tiburon has a whole kenwood system if I remember correctly. And yes the stocks in the Z suck ***. I have never even cared much about interior speakers as long as I had a decent deck and subwoofer but in this car I might just change out the interiors too.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 AM
nscheuermann09

Yeah man change em out. Pick up some Alpine Type R's. Not too high priced and I think you'll be very pleased
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
ejs0806

I know the tiburon had kenwood deck im not to sure of speakers though but. Thanks i have some best buy employee discounts through some friends so im gunna pick up some alpines when i get back.. I had them in my old truck and they where amazing for the price. The rear speaker set up looks cool as hell though.. How would i even go about getting the rear speakers out?? does that plastic net/screen just pop out??
Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
nscheuermann09

No you have to take the whole plastic piece off the top of that bar. To start, take off the two side panels (the ones under where your seatbelt comes down from) off. Once those are off, sit in your trunk (I know its difficult haha) and use a butter knife to start to pry the clips off the back. Once the whole back section is loose (it will just be the clips along the bottom line of the piece) go to the front of your car, reach over top the whole bar and start to pull up and forward. It takes a little effort, but once the clips pop out its very easy to get the rest of the way. I'll see if I can find a picture how to and post a link to this thread.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:08 AM
nscheuermann09

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/rear_speakers/

Hear you go man, this should help out a lot. Its really simple, only took me about 15 to get everything off, put the speakers in, and reassemble.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
ejs0806

thanks thats pretty simple... Pictures help A LOT.. Do all the Z's have the cut out for a factory sub behind the driver seat??
Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
nscheuermann09

I believe so, but theyre about useless because it isnt a sealed space. You would need to buy an open air sub in order to utilize the space, or seal that area. Probably a bit more time consuming then just buying a trunk box, but it does save space.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
ejs0806

Yeah thats pretty cool but would probably be alot of work to do.. there isnt much trunk space to begin with so i guess it would be worth it if you use it.. While im in there im gunna see if i could simply cut that whole area out if it doesnt support anything etc... Just the front place where a subs supposed to be maybe get a box back in there some how.. It would have to be custom built but depending on how much air space i would have i think i could work something out.. Thanks for the great help and some random inspiration lol
Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
nscheuermann09

Yeah that would probably work pretty well. Im sure you could cut that sub bracket out, I've seen people who have done it. Good luck with everything, post pics after completion! I'm still trying to figure out to fit a 12 in mine without taking up all my space :/ haha
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
ehsan

have you checked to see if they are even properly connected? any amps in the car by any chance?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
ejs0806

Yeah ill post up some pics and step by step if i end up doing it.. I will also give all demensions and stuff for the box. Im probably going to go with a type R12 i have had great luck with them in the past. Also i havnt checked yet.. Wouldnt they not work at all if they wherent hooked up properly?? aslo i dont believe it has any amps its the basic stereo. If i had any factory amps where would they be located??
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
nscheuermann09

Sweet! I have a Type R 12 that I'm wanting to put in, so if you can fit it in behind the drivers eat you gotta let me know how haha. It hits so hard tho! Everything should be hooked up fine, thats not why theyre quite. The stock speakers just suck, even some aftermarket ones wont be too loud since they are firing right into the seats. An amp for them really is the best way to go, but that gets a little more pricey/complicated then just screwing in new speakers.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
ejs0806

I have an amp at home so I might as well go legit with the speakers.. Also yeah I'll keep you posted only downfall about the type Rs is they are deep but I'll try figuring something out.. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully it won't be to much bass and move the whole storage bin areas probably gunna need to dynomat it all
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM
ejs0806

What size are those speakers anyway?? 6 inch??? 6 1/2???
Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
nscheuermann09

Yeah the sub is so deep, but hits so hard! I have 6.5" Type R's all the way around. The front door panels were a pain in the ***. The speakers were too deep and hit the window when it was rolled down, needed spacers. The 6.5s in the rear bar fit flawlessy. You couldn't ask for a better fit.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM
ejs0806

I decided to get pioneer 6.5s 3 ways for the rears... For $33 I couldn't beat it. I know a few buddies that have pioneer components and they seem to last and sound good. But still $33 I have not much to lose for trying them Out for a little while..
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
nscheuermann09

Did you check the RMS on them? Sometimes spending a little extra for speakers pays off. If your RMS is below 80 I'd seriously consider sending them back.. Pioneer makes some good products, but their cheap products are cheap for a reason...For the rear speakers in the Z I really suggest getting ones that are 100 RMS. Your main complaint was that the speakers are quiet, and that is due to the fact that they fire into the seats. You have to turn up the volume on the rear ones to get a good even sound. An after market head unit at best will put out 20 RMS a speaker without an amp, but on a 40 or 50 RMS speaker, at 20 watts you will start to get a lot of distortion in your speakers. With 100 RMS its no wear near its peak range so you can play just as loud, only way cleaner.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
ejs0806

Originally Posted by nscheuermann09
Did you check the RMS on them? Sometimes spending a little extra for speakers pays off. If your RMS is below 80 I'd seriously consider sending them back.. Pioneer makes some good products, but their cheap products are cheap for a reason...For the rear speakers in the Z I really suggest getting ones that are 100 RMS. Your main complaint was that the speakers are quiet, and that is due to the fact that they fire into the seats. You have to turn up the volume on the rear ones to get a good even sound. An after market head unit at best will put out 20 RMS a speaker without an amp, but on a 40 or 50 RMS speaker, at 20 watts you will start to get a lot of distortion in your speakers. With 100 RMS its no wear near its peak range so you can play just as loud, only way cleaner.
**** I never even thought bout that.. I guess I'll stick them in and see how they sound. Great thing about amazon you can return them even if you used them you can still return them.. Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear speakers really quiet