Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help installing an equalizer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Help installing an equalizer?

Hi guys,

New to this forum, this is my second thread, and new to owning a Z as well. LOVE the Z. (this forum is great too, have learned a lot from reading )

Quick question is this: What are some options in installing a half-DIN Clarion equalizer that I bought? I have an Alpine single din head unit installed in one of those stereo brackets that has a pocket beneath the head unit. I thought the EQ would slide right into the pocket, but the EQ is about a quarter of an inch wider than the width of the front opening of the pocket.

I've had my center console out to paint it myself (Duplicolor Vinyl paint to restore it to much better than how it was when I bought it ), and have looked at the stereo bracket for ways to mod it, and it seems like I'd have to cut away some of the bracket that screws to the center console for stability.

Anyone install a half-DIN EQ into a 350Z by any chance? How'd you do it and where did you put it? I've thought of putting it into the cubby, but that project seems much bigger and would involve cutting away the area that holds the bottom bolt for the cubby door mechanism. Not too keen on cutting that at all.

So so want to install this EQ to level off my highs, as my components are a little bright for certain songs, and I'm kinda picky when I have that luxury.

All help is appreciated, my car is an '04 Z coupe base model, black interior, six speed.

I think I'm just going to have to cut off the bottom half of that Meta kit, cut off the whole pocket and build something from scratch, put the EQ in and then figure a way to re-attach it with whatever works and looks good? Better ideas? Ideas on HOW to do this?

Must look extremely good when it's finished, so all suggestions that have practical solutions in mind that meet a high standard are really appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

SavedbyGrace
Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

dont do it,

the current year is 2011, not 1992.

I promise. Yer talking about some ooooooold school equipment there.

Welcome to the forum btw. now for some pics. ....
Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

lol...

No idea what you're saying? Why wouldn't I put in an analog equalizer? The unit I bought has a great reputation for some phenomenal sound quality. 2 volt, great quality hardware.

I'm a fairly techy guy with various gear in other interests I have, but the priority is always function first, technology is for serving my needs, so if a technology works, old or new, then I use the technology that gets the job done.

Any thoughts on how to install this bad boy though? Or a link to anyone that has done it?

I'm about to embark on it in the next few weeks on my own if I don't get help online, but would really love some help.

SavedbyGrace