Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

2004 Roadster Factory XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
ZilverstoneZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Roadster Factory XM Install

I decided to keep my factory Bose system so wanted satellite radio. I purchased a used Clarion XM receiver:

#999U9 NV003 model # EN-1187E.

I also needed the antenna and splitter I purchased :

Terk XMicro2 Antenna

Terk XM-SP Splitter

Upon removing my factory Bose I discovered a 12 pin connector already plugged into the back of my radio. Spending literally hours both researching online and removing my trunk, subwoofer, and passenger side kickpanels, I was unable to find the other end of that cable. So I went to the repair manual and this is what I found:

This shows the location of the factory harness.

This photo is of what is actually installed in my 350z:

As you can see it terminates into a rather large multiplug that I did not possess. Here is the repair manual showing if that cable had been installed:

Unfortunately without that cable I was stuck. So I researched farther and discovered something, the factory 6 disc add-ons, be it either the front load type or the cartridge type, used a cable that was also compatible with my satellite receiver. I found a cable on ebay and here are a couple of pictures of it:

This picture shows the connectors: 10 pin male and female (for power from radio harness) 12 pin male (to back of radio) 16 pin male (to satellite)

I do not have a part number for this but if you look on Ebay you will see a few cd changers that also contain that cable. It apparently is universal.

With that in hand I was ready to install it. I removed the passenger side kick panel and the lower dash cover and found a metal plate that would work to install my XM receiver:

Here are a couple of pictures of how I attached it to that metal plate, basically I wire tied it with some sound deadening material between the plate and the receiver:

Here is a picture of it reinstalled:

If your wondering where I put that 28' of extra wire, I tucked it into a cavity just behind the passenger side kick panel. I was going to cut and shorten the cable but noticed that alot of the wires were the same color. This particular cable was from a 2000 Maxima and apparently the changer was in the trunk.

I decided to install the antenna between the two defrost vents on the dashboard (much better reception)

And here is the finished look:

All in all it was fairly easy, just discovering how to get power/data to the XM receiver was the tricky part. My total cost for all of this was just at $120.00.

Hopefully this helps answer that question of where does that factory 12 pin harness go on a Roadster?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
timsz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to do a follow up on this post and add in the part number for the head unit to satellite tuner cable. It is available from Nissan but will not show up in their parts database for the roadster since they were not designed to be wired for satellite. The part number is B8377-5W900. ($58) It plugs into the back of the head unit and to the sat tuner and you then have the stock set up similar to the coupe models. Why Nissan makes this so difficult to research is beyond me. It would seem that they would be interested in selling parts and keeping their customers happy, but everywhere I called I was told by Nissan parts people that this could not be done in a roadster. Why not?? ZilverstoneZ did it (as displayed above). I did it. If the car was prewired they will sell you the short cable from the harness to the sat tuner but if your vehicle was not prewired (as in the roadster) I was told I was SOL. If you want the stock set up, this is the way to go. I did buy an aftermarket antenna (Sirius micro) which I placed on the dash and it works great. The stock antennas are huge and designed to be mounted on the trunk. The tuner can be mounted as stated above with no need to run the cable to the trunk. From what I understand this cable will work in any Nissan with a satellite ready bose head unit. Mine is an 06 and it plugged right in. Hopefully this will help anyone trying to get this hooked up.
I love the satellite radio and have it all my vehicles now and the house.
Special thanks go out to ZilverstoneZ (Steve) for his great write up with pics and for his individual assistance to me during my install. I could not of done this without his help. Thanks again Steve !!

Tim