Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Review: PA15-NIS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Suwaidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: USA Spec PA15-NIS iPod/AUX Adapter

I’ve been looking for an iPod adapter for a while now and I’ve come down to four possibilities:

USA Spec
Neo Audio
iSimple
FM Transmitter

Neo Audio had little to no background information on it’s products. The website looks promising, but then again so did iSimple’s advertisements. iSimples had numerous reports of bad sound quality, lack of bass, and an overall bad installation (some had it done at BestBuy since they throw in installation with the price). An FM Transmitter lacks sound quality, and a tape-to-mp3 was not an option in my car. I decided to go with USA-Spec, as it had the best reviews out of all.

Installation:

Installed on: 350Z 2008 w/ Bose & Sat Radio
Installation Time: 2.5 Hours (Would’ve taken an hour or less, read below)

I would’ve written a guide, but I’ve found two guides that really helped a lot:

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/
http://antirider.com/2011/03/install...6-nissan-350z/

All in all, it took me a few hours. If I were to start over again on another car, it would probably take me an hour or less. The reasons I took so long was: (a) I was confused at some points and (b) I didn’t have a long enough screw driver at some steps.

In general, you take out the unit, wire two existing wires through your adapter, and use two wires from your adapter into your head unit. Pretty simple, except the wires in the second row didn’t fit any of my cables. However, I took the first wire in the first row and the second wire in the second row and it worked fine.

Product Review:

After I installed it, I played some songs on my iPhone that I already had on my CD in order to compare the quality of both. During this test, I used an iPhone 3GS. The quality is amazing, I couldn’t tell a difference between the CD and the iPhone. The steering wheel controls worked to change songs/volume. I didn’t input the folder scrolling option, although that is a possibility.

Price and Notes:

I purchased it for $150 + tax, although people have stated they’ve bought it for $120. I’ve found it on eBay for $130 + free shipping though. I’m still deciding on whether I’m going to drill a corner hole so the wire can freely escape or not (probably going to do that later today). However, it is a great great product. I would definitely put this on any other car that I might get in the future. I just did some further testing, and everything works fine (FM, CD, CD Changing, Volume, Track Changing, etc.) - Just the SAT radio was removed.

Last edited by Suwaidi; 10-21-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 PM
dru_SA

just FYI for anybody who's wandering if this will work for their 08 NON-bose radio...

I just installed the usa spec PA15-NIS for my '08 NON-bose head unit, and it works just fine. My stereo only has "CD" & "RADIO" butons. And the adapter works just fine. Ipod functions just fine. Steering wheel controls work too. Although there is no song text that can be displayed. aux connection is decent as well.

The only small con was i don't think the radio buttons can skip folders at all. so far i can only switch between playlists, and "all songs" (with all dip switches ON). The manual could've been better.

PM me if ya have questions about my setup
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 AM
The Burgh

If you have the blows unit just get PA15-infinity. You plug it into the sat receiver in the trunk and run the wire up. No need to take the waterfall apart.

Drive Safe
Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Suwaidi

A compatibility list is available at:

http://www.ipodcarpros.com/p203/PA15...duct_info.html

The cheapest price available at the moment is 109.49 at:

http://www.icarkits.com/feed/PA15NIS

Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Gtsingh91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if there's a visual DIY for this? Everyone that I read says to just unplug the factory harness and plug the new harness in, but it doesn't seem that straight forward. There seems to be more wires involved.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtsingh91
Does anyone know if there's a visual DIY for this? Everyone that I read says to just unplug the factory harness and plug the new harness in, but it doesn't seem that straight forward. There seems to be more wires involved.
It's been awhile since I've seen anyone who still uses these things, but what exactly is the problem? These things usually just piggyback off of existing harnesses. It's plug and play.