Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sirius Satellite Installation

Old 12-28-2003, 05:51 PM
zbigniew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Satellite Installation

Santa brought me a a Sirius SIRPNP2 Satellite Audio Receiver for Xmas. Does anyone have any suggestions on installation in my Z? Like, where and how?

I'll probably have it professionally done, just not sure where to put it. It won't easily fit into the empty navigation system well.

-Patrick
Old 12-29-2003, 08:01 AM
andyisphat2004

Default Re: Sirius Satellite Installation

i think i saw a picture that someone had it installed on top of their strut bar, but i could be wrong
Old 12-29-2003, 09:43 AM
fisc0153

Hey zbigniew,

I also got the sirius satellite radio setup for xmas. I desperately want to hook it up but my setup is powered through the cig lighter outlet. I want a way to hardwire to the car, but I can't find the proper accessories. Salesman said that all satellite radio setups are cig. lighter outlet powered. I found that hard to believe.

How does your setup draw power? How do you plan to wire it?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:02 AM
bimmersandZs

I mounted mine in the dash pocket (nav pocket) and ran power to the fuse box using a mini-fuse tap which is available at any auto parts store. The antenna is mounted on the driver's side end of the rear strut bar cover (black plastic part).

The nav pocket install of the FM Modulator/Cradle required some "modifications" to the cradle. First, disassemble the nav pocket and remove it from the console (you have to take apart the console to do this). Put 2 holes in the back of the nav pocket for the wires to come through. Then on the cradle, remove the bottom mount plate and use a dremel to cut off some of the excess plastic on the bottom of the cradle.

Then I used flush mounting screws to attach the cradle to the plastic nav pocket. Then put the nav pocket/cradle assembly back into the console, run the wires for the power and antenna and that's it. You will have to take most of the plastic parts out of the back of the car in order to run the antenna wire and mount it to the strut bar cover.

Do a search on the forum for information on removing the center console and plastic covers in the rear of the car. There is plenty of good information available on here.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:54 PM
fisc0153

run the wires for the power
This is my main problem. The power cord for my setup is a cigarette lighter plug on one end and a cylindrical plug on the other end (plugs into the cradle). How the heck to I hardwire the unit with that kind of power cord?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 PM
jeffrey

My Sirius antennae sits on my dash right above the gauge pod. Being as I had metallic tint it wouldn't work through the rear window. Honestly, I like it right where it is, it's not obtrusive or anything.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:41 PM
wmchew

Here is my Sirius with the Audiovox in the nav compartment. I had it installed at a car audio shop.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Satellite Installation-mvc-001f.jpg  
Old 12-29-2003, 02:44 PM
wmchew

Here is a pic of the antenna on top of the dash. It might not be the best place for reception but on the roadster that's the only place I can find to install it. The reception cuts out in some locations. Maybe just being in certain parts of L.A. Same problems with my cell receptions too. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Satellite Installation-mvc-003f.jpg  
Old 12-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, i like how the antenna is kind of hidden.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 AM
bimmersandZs

fisc0153

Go to Radio Shack and buy a "hardwire kit", which is an adapter that has interchangable ends which plug into the power recepticle on the cradle (take your cig adapter with you so that you can match the plug end with the correct size at the store). The other end of the kit will have a positive and negative wire. Ground the negative wire to the chassis of the car (I used a grouding point behind the guage pod on the console). Then run the positive to a fuse in the fuse panel near the clutch pedal.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:26 AM
fisc0153

Thanks, dude!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
stuart735

Default Sirius Audiovox in Nav Compartment

I'm thinking of getting the Audiovox PNP unit for my Z and to use at home .... I found your posting with the photo -- any problems with using this unit in your car???

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:17 PM
BSimp

I just got a new Kenwood head unit with Sirius and had it professionally installed. The installer told me he was going to mount the antenna on the dash behind the gauges just like the above picture. When I went to pick it up, the installer actually put the antenna where he promised but below the dash. He said there was a little area where it fit perfectly. Apparently the antenna can pick up a signal through plastic, just not metal. Anyway, I am very pleased with the antenna hidden and the reception is perfect.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:47 AM
chaparro78

Mine sits on the dash as well
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Satellite Installation-6693steering_wheel-med2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 04:59 AM
stuart735

Default Kenwood Head Unit

which head unit did you get?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:09 AM
kno350z

Default Static

Guys I have the Audiovox unit above and have had some problems with static do you guys think it might be the wireless fm modulator causing the problems because my friends xm receiver (delphi unit) doesn't have this problem.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 AM
sparky3Z

Originally posted by bimmersandZs
fisc0153

Go to Radio Shack and buy a "hardwire kit", which is an adapter that has interchangable ends which plug into the power recepticle on the cradle (take your cig adapter with you so that you can match the plug end with the correct size at the store). The other end of the kit will have a positive and negative wire. Ground the negative wire to the chassis of the car (I used a grouding point behind the guage pod on the console). Then run the positive to a fuse in the fuse panel near the clutch pedal.
Also, be careful and check the voltage of your unit first. My XM radio is 6 volt and I would blow something if I hooked it up directly bypassing the cigar lighter adaptor.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:21 AM
ZBoater

Originally posted by wmchew
Here is my Sirius with the Audiovox in the nav compartment. I had it installed at a car audio shop.
wmchew,

How were they able to put the unit in there without a cradle?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:37 AM
wmchew

Originally posted by ZBoater
wmchew,

How were they able to put the unit in there without a cradle?

The cradle is behind the unit. It just fits.

Warren
Old 07-15-2004, 05:42 AM
sal1

Bsimp, how about posting a picture of your antenna location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Installation