Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Infinity Speakers - Kappa or Reference? More...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:36 PM
msims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Infinity Speakers - Kappa or Reference? More...

Originally posted by VinaZ
With the stock unit, the Infinity speakers sound much clearer and more sound stage. But you have to crank up the volume. It seems the like the head unit does not have enough power to drive the Infinity. Don't forget to disconnect the tweeter connection. I plan to replace the head unit with an Alpine one soon and also install a JL amp.

Tony
Excellent! Keep us posted please.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:50 PM
desiZ

is the alpine 9833 HU (with its internal mosfet amp) enough for the kappa perfects in the front ? or do i need an amp ? if i do, then should i just go with kappa fronts and reference rears ?
i'm fixed with my HU (alpine 9833) and my sub (infinitiy basslink) but i have the following combos:-
1. kappa component system & refs in the back
2. no tweeters, just kappa fronts & reference rears
3. no tweeters, kappa perfects fronts & stock rears
audio-guru 's please advise!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:54 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by desiZ
is the alpine 9833 HU (with its internal mosfet amp) enough for the kappa perfects in the front ? or do i need an amp ? if i do, then should i just go with kappa fronts and reference rears ?
i'm fixed with my HU (alpine 9833) and my sub (infinitiy basslink) but i have the following combos:-
1. kappa component system & refs in the back
2. no tweeters, just kappa fronts & reference rears
3. no tweeters, kappa perfects fronts & stock rears
audio-guru 's please advise!

While the Alpine unit would be more powerful than the stock radio, it will still be underpowering the kappa perfects (or just kappas).

If i were choosing which way to go (well i already did) i would go with option 3, the kappa perfects up front (which have a seperate tweeter btw, so yes tweeters) and using the stock rears. Ive kept my stock rears hooked up but have my music faded to the front so the rears are used minimally for rear fill but not enough to sound crappy. Others have just completely disconnected the rears. I think it's a better option leaving them connected because if you like the way it sounds then it's there and if you dnt like it you can just fade your music all the way to the front and they wont be playing anyway. Just gives you an option after your system is set up.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Loic

Default Re: Infinity Speakers - Kappa or Reference? More...

AndyB, how to you like your setup? What did you finally go for ?
I'm planning a similar setup in my roadster and like to know how your sound.

Originally posted by AndyB
I am finally ordering my stereo parts. I need some info on speakers.

Based on reading this forum (and personal experience with Infiity speakers) I want to go with Infinity 6.5 speakers. My questions are:

What is the difference between the Reference 6002i and the Kappa 62.5i?
Which should I use?
Should all 4 speakers be the same? (Why or why not?)

Lastly, what spacers will I need.
(2 will go in the doors and 2 in the rear)

AndyB

-----

Background info: In case this stuff matters, the install is a 2004 350Z Roadster. I am going with the AudioLink PD4 Adapter and cables from the stock Bose head unit. that will run to an Alpine 4x50, 4 speakers, and a Basslink in the stock spot.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
bastard

Just to add my own opinion on this (and confuse the issue a little more, heh), I personally like having rear speakers but only if set properly. Cars with rear deck speakers (Civics, Accords, etc) have a horribly rear-biased soundstage in them. This is bad. The Z actually has a fairly well balanced one, with the rears being muffled a bit by the seats so it's a tiny bit front-biased. A little fiddling with the fader solves this.

I decided on rear speakers before buying anything by testing the stock system with rears on (faded center/a little forward) and faded all the way forward (rears off/barely audible), and found that I liked having the rears to "open" it up a bit.

Another issue of importance in this: A headunit with time alignment will pull the soundstage more forward as well, but keep the "open" feeling of having the rear speakers. The drawback is that (in my Z anyway) both drivers side and the passenger rear speaker are practically inaudible to the passenger. This doesn't matter to me: I paid for the car and stereo, I should get to hear it at its best. In the driver's seat, however, it sounds like the music is coming from directly in front of me.

I guess my recommendation is, try it with rears on and rears off, and see which you prefer. The rears do not have to be very good, some 2 way 6.5s are more than adequate for it. Spend the big bucks on the fronts.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:11 AM
boma

I just bought some Infinity Reference 6000cs 6.5" components for the front for $102.56 shipped. Are they that much worse than Kappa Perfects?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 AM
stu46

damn, did you search to find these? j/k

The kappas run around $400 a set. I wouldn't say worse. Just kinda like comparing the Lexus ES to the Toyota Camry. If you like the way they sound, that's all that matters. Everyone has different listening tastes. I can't stand the Kappas. I wouldn't install them if they were given to me. Way to harsh for my tastes. My brother loves them. It all depends.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:31 AM
hndumafia

i dont know anyone who would pay 400 bucks for a set of kappa components. i got my kappa Perfect set for $215 shipped from sound domain (so i have warranty).
Old 10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
stu46

http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFPERFECT61?ref=carr

I wasn't in the market for them so I didn't do any comparison shopping. Just something I stumbled across when looking for reviews and reading up on them.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:23 AM
boma

When you mean harsh, u mean the high's are too harsh and kill your ears?

My friend has MB Quart Q series all around and god doe sit scratch my ears, its clear though.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Chief F1 Fan

$199 BuyItNow: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...723366291&rd=1
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Daewoo

yup got mines on ebay for $180+15 to ship.

I love ebay!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM
hndumafia

the highs are harsh when set at 0db on the xover. just change the highs to -4db and all sounds good and doesn't kill your ears.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM
hndumafia

the highs are harsh when set at 0db on the xover. just change the highs to -4db and all sounds good and doesn't kill your ears.