Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Owners Disconnecting Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Luminair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owners Disconnecting Rear Speakers

There seem to be a lot of owners on the forum simply disconnecting their rear speakers - is this out of preference, or some sort of necessity? I am far from being an audiophile, but simply wondered why that seems to be a fairly common thing.

I myself get a headache without the rears; otherwise I feel like I'm sitting in front of a boom box.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM
diegolag

i bought my z about 2 months ago , and i just found that my rears are also disconnected,sounds like one of them its blown, but im replacing those anyway... could it be that they're to loud in first place?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
AngelsVQ

dont take my post as the definitive answer. but i remember reading that perfect audio is superpose to be just left ad right (stereo) rather than left right and a boom behind the drivers side. mine are all still conected....
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Luminair

Originally Posted by diegolag
i bought my z about 2 months ago , and i just found that my rears are also disconnected,sounds like one of them its blown, but im replacing those anyway... could it be that they're to loud in first place?
I remember reading somewhere that the stock speakers are deliberately quieter as they're so close to your ears, which would be an understandable conclusion in this vehicle. Couldn't speak that to be complete truth, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was a reason for them to be faded out or disconnected.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminair
I am far from being an audiophile, but simply wondered why that seems to be a fairly common thing.
Difficult to debate a false premise. Do you have data to back this up? 10 percent of 350Z owners? 90 precent?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that the stock speakers are deliberately quieter as they're so close to your ears, which would be an understandable conclusion in this vehicle. Couldn't speak that to be complete truth, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was a reason for them to be faded out or disconnected.
There is no standard setup just personal preference. Old school audio (both home and auto) says that sound signals should never be distinctive from the rear. Simple explanation is that no live music features musicians behind you. Yes there are reflected signals throughout the hall, but few concert goers turn to see what is behind them.

Any vehicle is a horrid environment for music reproduction. Instead of trying to reproduce a sound field accurately - do what best suits your ears.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Personal preference. I have faded my rears almost out. Sounds better IMO. If you have a fade option on your system, there is no reason to physically disconnect them, I think.
Could be wrong
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Luminair

Originally Posted by davidv
Difficult to debate a false premise. Do you have data to back this up? 10 percent of 350Z owners? 90 precent?
As I mentioned previously, I have no empirical data beyond simple observation from several threads on this forum; a niche group of owners. Some have chosen to disconnect their rear speakers, ergo my question.

It does appear that doing such a thing is largely just preference. I can understand the idea that when seeing a musician live, one wouldn't experience sound emanating behind them - certainly makes sense.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
DankZ07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace them with quality speakers and crappy sound problem fixed! I believe everyone is lazy, does not want to tear apart the rears, find a matching speaker, do adapters or make them fit. I put in some Fosgate speakers, and it made me realize how bad the stocks were....
Old 07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
TURBOROADSTER

As I mentioned previously, I have no empirical data beyond simple observation from several threads on this forum; a niche group of owners. Some have chosen to disconnect their rear speakers, ergo my question.

It does appear that doing such a thing is largely just preference. I can understand the idea that when seeing a musician live, one wouldn't experience sound emanating behind them - certainly makes sense.
You want your sound stage at ear level and in front of you . You don't watch a live concert with your back turned to the band . I've always used and competed with rear speakers (for fill only) and done very well . If you like your rears , then by all means use them .
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
shiftie6z

I kinda understand where you're coming from with the whole live band thing, but maybe at a concert all the speakers are in front because its simple...and still sounds good? There is a reason for "surround sound", it simply sounds better. I think it's because you get "good enough" sound without them. I still think an upgrade would be a better option. More difficult and a lil' more expensive, but still better. When you go to the movies you don't just hear the music from the front. I think to each his own, but I prefer upgrade. There's my two cents.

Last edited by shiftie6z; 07-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM
*ICE*

I replaced my sh!tty Bose with some Infinity speakers and they have been great for years
Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
shiftie6z

All of mine have been replaced with Polk Audio speakers. Sounds excellent and wasn't too expensive.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM rear speakers have a very high resistance, so they werent loud to begin with and have poor sound quality anyway... sound stage is better coming from the front (personal preference anyway) so its nicer just to ditch them.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by shiftie6z
I kinda understand where you're coming from with the whole live band thing, but maybe at a concert all the speakers are in front because its simple...and still sounds good? There is a reason for "surround sound", it simply sounds better. I think it's because you get "good enough" sound without them. I still think an upgrade would be a better option. More difficult and a lil' more expensive, but still better. When you go to the movies you don't just hear the music from the front. I think to each his own, but I prefer upgrade. There's my two cents.
It has nothing to do with an (Upgrade) as you put it . Have you ever listened to music in suround sound ? I'm not talking about 5 channel stereo , but true surrond sound . It sounds like chit . Surround sound for movies is just that , you hear background sounds like bullets richocheting , thunder and so forth , most of the time you hear nothing out of the surround speakers in a movie soundtrack . 90% of the sound comes from your front R & L and center channel.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
shiftie6z

Wink

Originally Posted by TURBOROADSTER
It has nothing to do with an (Upgrade) as you put it . Have you ever listened to music in suround sound ? I'm not talking about 5 channel stereo , but true surrond sound . It sounds like chit . Surround sound for movies is just that , you hear background sounds like bullets richocheting , thunder and so forth , most of the time you hear nothing out of the surround speakers in a movie soundtrack . 90% of the sound comes from your front R & L and center channel.
mmmmkuay...as I put it, that was "my" two cents, not 1 penny of mine and 1 of yours. I don't have to tell you what opinions are like...this I'm sure.
Upgrade by my definition is: Taking junk out, putting something slightly better in it's place.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM
TURBOROADSTER

Originally Posted by shiftie6z
mmmmkuay...as I put it, that was "my" two cents, not 1 penny of mine and 1 of yours. I don't have to tell you what opinions are like...this I'm sure.
Upgrade by my definition is: Taking junk out, putting something slightly better in it's place.
This thread has nothing to do with upgrading speakers . Everyone already knows you should always upgrade the stock junk speakers in any vehicle . This thread is about using or not using rear speakers . I've always said for everyday use , I would recomend using them . For car audio sound quality competitions , you can either use them or not use them , your judge will want the sound stage to be in front of him . You can use rears for fill only , but if the judge can audibly hear the rears , or they overpower the fronts , you will get a low score .

Staging - is the ability of a system to "fool you" into thinking that everything (including bass) is in front of you. The sound should be similar to a stage in a concert, where the singer would be in the front center, and the rest of the instruments and background vocalists would be located to the left and right (but always on the front).

Good staging and imaging are not so easy to implement. It takes a lot experimenting with speaker location and direction.

Last edited by TURBOROADSTER; 07-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 AM
shiftie6z

This thread has nothing to do with upgrading speakers . Everyone already knows you should always upgrade the stock junk speakers in any vehicle . This thread is about using or not using rear speakers . I've always said for everyday use , I would recomend using them . For car audio sound quality competitions , you can either use them or not use them , your judge will want the sound stage to be in front of him . You can use rears for fill only , but if the judge can audibly hear the rears , or they overpower the fronts , you will get a low score .

Staging - is the ability of a system to "fool you" into thinking that everything (including bass) is in front of you. The sound should be similar to a stage in a concert, where the singer would be in the front center, and the rest of the instruments and background vocalists would be located to the left and right (but always on the front).

Good staging and imaging are not so easy to implement. It takes a lot experimenting with speaker location and direction.
Noted... I wasn't trying to change the thread.. just making a comment on someone elses comment. Thats about it.. this threads kinda lame anyway.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
clarkah

Soon as i replaced my headunit the rear speakers no longer working.. I've been lazy to take my car back to have it fixed lol
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If you ever listened to a SACD album, I'm pretty sure your opinion would change in the time it takes to hear one song.

Quick Reply: Owners Disconnecting Rear Speakers