Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stock Sub Location Solution-Works (for me atleast)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
pigpimpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Sub Location Solution-Works (for me atleast)

*Credits to GT Mat for the free GT Mat sound deadener.

Ok so what I did was roughly measure the area of the stock sub location. I ended up with approx 1.5-1.75 cubic feet.

If one were to throw a sub in there and consider it a sealed enclosure, that area is way to big.

My first attempt was to reduce the enclosure area by throwing in about 5 gallons of water bottle in there. It helped. Sounded decent.

But it was not loud enough. My original goal was to have a ported system. 1.5-1.75 cubic feet suits a ported system better.

I went to the store and bought 1/2 inch nipple pipe. I jammed it into the hole next to the woofer. Now based on calculator I used, you only need 1/2 inch to 1 inch for a ported box tuned around 35hz. (I do not know the exact measurements of the stock area or the port I created).

The result was at least a 2x better sounding quality and also volume loudness. Pics coming very soon. I would like to see if someone can repeat my experiment and get the same results. If so, then we have found a solution for less than $5 that I believe we can all be happy with.

I would say on a scale of 1-10, stock sub unmodified would be a 5.

With my mod, I would rate it as 8. Happy with the product as is (will sound even a little better once I screw everything in!!! I did not even screw the sub or the metal panel!!!)

I haven't even sealed all the holes yet or matted the inside of the enclosure.

*Credits to GT Mat for the free GT Mat sound deadener.

Last edited by pigpimpc; 09-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM
pigpimpc

Picture 1: audiobahn sub that I digged up in shed
Picture 2- front side nipple on side of sub
Pic 3 Back side view of nipple-pipe - Hes only a one or 2 incher. I ended up adding another one to the 2nd hole.
Pic 4 - Pipe from dixiline less than 5 bucks go to home depot or lowes or whatever
Attached Thumbnails Stock Sub Location Solution-Works (for me atleast)-z-box-003.jpg   Stock Sub Location Solution-Works (for me atleast)-z-box-005.jpg   Stock Sub Location Solution-Works (for me atleast)-z-box-006.jpg   Stock Sub Location Solution-Works (for me atleast)-z-box-007.jpg  

Last edited by pigpimpc; 09-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Tavik

looks pretty good, had a buddy i used to work with that did that to a 350z a year or two ago and it turned out really nice, used the factory cover, cut a hole and put a wire mesh over it for the factory look. this install location seems to be getting popular
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM
pigpimpc

Originally Posted by Tavik
looks pretty good, had a buddy i used to work with that did that to a 350z a year or two ago and it turned out really nice, used the factory cover, cut a hole and put a wire mesh over it for the factory look. this install location seems to be getting popular
Did he cut a hole to fit the speaker or cut the hole to make the stock sub location "Ported"?

I have not seen anyone "Port" the stock sub location and if I would have done this earlier if I had seen a similar post.

I wish I could see and hear how your friends turned out...
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Tavik

Originally Posted by pigpimpc
Did he cut a hole to fit the speaker or cut the hole to make the stock sub location "Ported"?

I have not seen anyone "Port" the stock sub location and if I would have done this earlier if I had seen a similar post.

I wish I could see and hear how your friends turned out...
he actually didn't port it, he cut a whole in the cover infront of the factory sub location so that he could get a flush look with the aftermarket sub. He wanted to port it and he had a good design but it gave him too much reverb and sound issues when he put the tube in. He ran a tube from one end of it to the other and ran it out the back side of the plastic enclosure in the car just infront of the rear support in the hatch and like i said, it just didn't sound right, im actually trying to work on a new design for a box that fits inside the actual opening
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 AM
pigpimpc

Originally Posted by Tavik
he actually didn't port it, he cut a whole in the cover infront of the factory sub location so that he could get a flush look with the aftermarket sub. He wanted to port it and he had a good design but it gave him too much reverb and sound issues when he put the tube in. He ran a tube from one end of it to the other and ran it out the back side of the plastic enclosure in the car just infront of the rear support in the hatch and like i said, it just didn't sound right, im actually trying to work on a new design for a box that fits inside the actual opening
That sounds like a pretty long port!!! What I should have done was make a port out of the seat belt opening...

If you're going that route I would suggest the glove box mod. it was more work and supplies than i wanted to put into this project...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Tavik

Originally Posted by pigpimpc
That sounds like a pretty long port!!! What I should have done was make a port out of the seat belt opening...

If you're going that route I would suggest the glove box mod. it was more work and supplies than i wanted to put into this project...
i was thinking about doing that with the factory opening but i decided to o with the box thats fitted for the rear support bar. though i will kieep that in mind. i'd like to hear it that way Thanks!!!