Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Possibly original rear view camera display mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
ozerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly original rear view camera display mounting

I've searched the threads but haven't been able to find anything like what I've done so I had a few questions.

I picked up a real cheap rear view camera and monitor and had no trouble with install, however it's a small monitor and couldn't find a mounting solution that I liked.

I realized that I don't use my glasses compartment so I took some measurements and found that the monitor was a close fit, just a bit too thick to fit in it with the compartment closed.

After a little time with a dremel I was able to get the monitor to fit perfectly in the compartment so that it can close and flip down as needed. My question is what the best way to wire the monitor may be. My thought was to wire it to the dome lights but I wasn't sure how to make sure it has power not just when the lights are on. I would love some flame free suggestions.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
loveVII

Why not wire it to the back-up lights? Isn't that the only time you would use a rear view camera? When you're backing up?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM
SoldzMyZ

Ummm the center console where the oem gps unit mounts to? I have a farenheit 7 inch screen that mounted there flush. I've had it since 2006. You have to swap center console cubby with an 03 Z to make it look totally factory, like it was meant to do there. I just used a cigarette light to power the unit when the key is in the on position. I was supposed to run an on off switch, but I was lazy and I've been running with the TV and camera on all the time. I just close the cubby hole if its at night and I don't want to be blinded while driving on the hwy.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM
ozerman

I currently have an 03 and the I am wired to the back up lights for the camera. it sends a wireless signal to the monitor, that is what I was looking to hardwire.