Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:59 AM
FRIT-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Question?

Hello everyone...can you help me make a decision.

I have a 2003 touring 350z with the Bose system. I went to two car stereo shops yesterday and got conflicting ideas.

First I should say I don't think I have the normal Bose problem as my car was made in June of 2003 but I would like more ummmph if you know what I mean.

I was told by both that each speaker has it's own amplifier and that the only way to change speakers is to rewire and replace speakers throughout...I believe this is true.

One of the shops recommended replaceing the head unit with an Alpine for 350.00(CDA 9811) and some kind of adapter to interface with the Bose for 80.00, also 43.00 misc. parts and 50.00 for the install. He said it will greatly improve the quaility and volume of the Bose speakers (might also risk blowing them at max volume)...they seemed very reputable, all they do is car stereos and radar etc. They spent considerable time with me explaining my options and they even had a superblack z in the shop having some security work done on it.

Now then, the other shop (Rock Dreams) said there is really nothing that will improve the system without total replacement.

Your respones will be greatly appreciated...I would like to keep my cost to 1,000.00 or less and noticibly improve da tunes.

Thanks,
Frit-z
Old 01-14-2004, 07:31 AM
350ZOWNZ

well each speaker doesnt have its own amp. Theres 2 amps. 1 for the sub and 1 for all the speakers. secondly they were both right and wrong in ways. Replacing the HU will offer some improved SQ but really. Not that much. I recommend replacing the whole system if u can.

You should be able to replace the whole system for about $1000 with install.. My setup cost me about $1100 without install (guessing around $1350 if u had it professionally installed).

This is what i have..

JVC KD-SH9750
CDT CL-61A front speakers
Pioneer REV TS-D160R rear speakers
Alpine MRV-F450 5 Channel Amp
Elemental Designs 10" K series subwoofer
Wires and Subwoofer box ETC

My prices were all online prices.

some people say JVC is crap. But this is there digifine series and it rocks. Might not have the SQ as alpine tho.. But its close and it looks alot better!

I love the sound of my setup now and it can get VERY loud. I can stand 20 feet away from my car and it still sounds good

Last edited by 350ZOWNZ; 01-14-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:51 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I disagree

I dissagree with some of the shop's advice and statements.

The 350z Bose has 2 amps. One for the 4 6.5 inch speaker (amp in trunk) and one for the so-called subwoofer.

It is my belief that the worst parts of this system (and probably any other factory system) is the speakers. Replacing the HU but keeping the speakers seems backwards to me.

Sadly, with the bose system, if you want to replace the speakers you also need to replace the amps since the speakers are low impedance models. Also, the whacky bose EQ is rumored to reside in the cheapo Bose amps.

One last thing, if you replace the amps you will probably need a Line Output Converter to interface the HU to the new amp(s).

AndyB
Old 01-14-2004, 11:03 AM
350ZOWNZ

Basically replace the whole thing if u want good sound =P

U MIGHT be able to keep the HU. I did and tried it out. Didnt like it so i bought a new HU. MADE A HUGE Difference
Old 01-14-2004, 02:51 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Easy

FRIT-Z,

As a matter of fact I was going through the same dilema last week. I had bought a Clarion VRX935VD HU, but didn't want to have to buy all new speakers and amps on top of the already high price of the HU. I ended up just buying a PAC ROEM-NIS2, which is actually the OEM-1 part, with the Nissan connectors for each side, It pluged directly into the factory harness with no problems and the sound is WAY better than the BOSE HU. The only thing I can complain about is that the radio reception has decreased with the new HU, but I have heard that is due to the small antennea and the additional length of antennea cable to connect to the new HU. It's not a big deal to me though since I mainly listen to CD's and now MP3's.

Keep in mind though that as many others have stated, the absolute "best" thing to do would be to replace everything (HU, speakers, amps)... but as was the case for me, it may not be in your budget to do that. ;-)

-Chrismcagle