Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

multiple amps and antenna amp question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Bobgill1420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple amps and antenna amp question

I have read about the bad radio receptions posts which I have and reading the how to fix by connecting the blue wire to the g/w wire but thats where my other problem starts I already have my remote wire connected to my 2 amps. I'm not sure if I splice another wire in line that there would be enough power for the 2 amps and to the antenna amp. Has anyone else had this issue? if so how'd you fix it? did you splice the wires together or have to use a relay?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you answered your own questions. Now step back and think for a second. Most units have 2 blue wires. One is solid blue and one is BLUE/WHITE. One is for ANTENNA and one is REMOTE TURN ON. Antenna is only on in FM mode and remote turn on is always on when radio is on. You might need a relay but you will not know until you try. Yes you can be safe and use a relay along with diode if you would like. You can also be safe and use a condom but wtf is the point of sex than......

Last edited by faiz23; 12-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM
KPierson_

A standard Bosch style automotive relay draws 160mA. A typical modern day remote in put will draw 1~mA. Most remote outputs are somewhere between 200-500mA.

I do not know how much current the antenna draws, I would assume its very little like a standard amplifier turn on.

So, to answer your question, consult your radios manual and find out how much current you have available on the output. Next, use a digital multimeter to determine the loads for each device. If the total loads added up are greater then the current you have available then use a relay.

If you want to be on the safe side, just put the relay in. This will guarantee you have enough current and will protect the remote output of the radio from damage from a short circuit.

I wouldn't recommend just hooking everything up to the output of the radio if you don't know how much current it will draw as I have seen radios damaged from putting too much load on the remote output. You really need to know the load before making connections.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
SilverStone2003

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 JL amps wired in to my double din, I spliced in my antenna wore to my amp wire and haven't had any issues. Been like this for a solid 7-8 months.

But I do have all stinger wire, big gauge, and big relay by my battery, etc. I still think you would be fine just splicing it in like you said in your post. Unless you have a smhorrible off brand double din like a Pyle or something from eBay.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 2 JL amps as well. I was debating on whether to use a relay so I talked to a JL tech and basically came down to if you want. So i went ahead and used a standard bosch type relay just to satisfy myself. No problem so far.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Bruno350z

I have 2 amps as well and my power antenna is connected to the same wire. No problems so far, been about 4 months now