Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear speaker/sub install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM
MyO3Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speaker/sub install

Just looking for some info and/or suggestions.

I was thinking about putting 6.5" subwoofers (JL and Kicker both make them) in place of the rear speakers.

Not sure if they would even sound good or just rattle everything.

FYI - Not looking for ear pounding bass, but just wanting to add to the bass of my front speakers. And I want to keep my hatch as free as possible, which is why I'm suggesting this. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about doing this too, but I didn't like the idea of mid-woofers RIGHT behind my head. put components in doors, disconnected rears (they pollute the sound IMO), and put an 8" sub in a small sealed box in the stock space behind my seat (even an 8" sub goes alot lower than any 6.5 mid-woofers). check out my thread on JBL MS-62C.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
GLRacing

I'm a Kicker guy. (prices are approximate). I'd put 2 kicker DV65 speakers in the front ($90), 2 DV65 speakers in the back ($90), put a single Kicker CVR12 Subwoofer ($130) inside of a box made for the support brace ($130), and power them with a Kicker ZX400.1 Amplifier with a bass controller mounted under the dash ($230). This was my plan, anyways.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
GLRacing

Since you want your hatch pretty freed up, if you want good sound on the cheap, forget about the subwoofer and just buy the 4 speakers. Even without a sub paired with them, they produce pretty deep bass and sound amazing.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Collin Lacy

The problem with putting actual subwoofers there is there is no real defined airspace. You would have to get ones made to run "infinite baffle" or else they would do pretty much nothing but rattle and sound like crap.

Personally I hate kicker so I don't like GL racings plan, but to each their own. Look into deadening your doors. If thats where you have your speakers mounted they will get much fuller and deeper with a decent deadening job. Or look at the SRQ customs box on ebay and put a sub in that. I've heard its rattle central, but thats pretty much just our car, seems everything in it is made to rattle and it wouldn't be any worse that 2 6.5 inch subs mounted behind your head, plus it would sound a lot better.

I think elemental designs makes 6.5 inch subs too.