Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Woofer/sub/box in stock sub compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 02:51 PM
DZTZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woofer/sub/box in stock sub compartment

I'm thinking of redoing my entire sound system. I'm replacing all four speakers, the head unit, and a 10 inch woofer with a custom box. I'm getting a 5 channel amp to power the above.

I was wondering if the amp and the custom box with the 10 inch woofer will fit inside the stock sub compartment behind the driver's seat. If so, I was wondering if dynomatting's necessary.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:21 PM
wren57
Banned

custom box w/ 10 will BARELY fit... much less with an amp in there... consider mounting the amp under the drivers seat...
Old 01-21-2004, 03:43 PM
DZTZ33

Thanks for your reply wren57.

I don't care much about losing space; I care about sound quality Will placing the sub in the stock compartment result in better sound than placing it in the trunk. I was thinking of getting a custom box so that it fits snug in the left or right corner behind the stabilizing bar.

Also, I read about the JL Stealthbox. Do you think it's worth it? How many subs do you have, and where are they placed?

On a different note, I'm thinking of getting a custom upholstery job on my seats. I'm thinking two tone of black and white since my Z is black. Do you have any pictures of yours? How much did yours cost? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:05 PM
wren57
Banned

Originally posted by DZTZ33
Thanks for your reply wren57.

I don't care much about losing space; I care about sound quality Will placing the sub in the stock compartment result in better sound than placing it in the trunk. I was thinking of getting a custom box so that it fits snug in the left or right corner behind the stabilizing bar.

Also, I read about the JL Stealthbox. Do you think it's worth it? How many subs do you have, and where are they placed?

I am not sure of the JL box, because nobody has it yet so nobody can review it. I also don't have experience with the two subs included, so can't comment on them. I can, however, say that at 750 retail, it is a good deal if the two subs are as good as or better than my sub. 750 retail means you could prob find it for 600 or less...

my sub is in a sealed box behind the rear strut, aiming up at the hatch. The sound is beautiful- I just wish I had two subs instead of one.

On a different note, I'm thinking of getting a custom upholstery job on my seats. I'm thinking two tone of black and white since my Z is black. Do you have any pictures of yours? How much did yours cost? Thanks.
I got my seats from Dave at 350zforums.org . He was great to deal with and the seats are terrific. Check out this thread.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=36536
Tell him Wren sent you.

I'd recommend dark graphite/white instead of black/white... will go with the interior a bit better

Last edited by wren57; 01-21-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:18 AM
DZTZ33

Thanks a lot for your reply wren. I'll talk to my local audio shop and hear what he's got to say about the Stealthbox.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Z_Coaster

Default Re: Woofer/sub/box in stock sub compartment

I'm thinking of redoing my entire sound system. I'm replacing all four speakers, the head unit, and a 10 inch woofer with a custom box. I'm getting a 5 channel amp to power the above.

I was wondering if the amp and the custom box with the 10 inch woofer will fit inside the stock sub compartment behind the driver's seat. If so, I was wondering if dynomatting's necessary.

I would definetly not recommend putting the sub in the stock location. The stock location is very bad for a couple of reasons.
1. Aims the speaker forward and muffled by the driver's seat.
2. Not sealed air space. The cost of sealing the area is equal to or more than a custom box.

When I first got my stereo setup, I had a single 10" in a custom box pointing towards the rear and powered by an Alpine FV-450 (5 channel amp). It was placed between the rear speaker bridge and rear brace/support (whatever you call it, strut?). Kind of sounds like what you want to do. Just make sure the 5 channel you use has enough juice for your needs. Have the amp mounted in the stock sub location. In the stock sub location, there will be enough air flow if your amp does begin the get hot.

I eventually ended up with two 12" JLs. Better, but still not totally satified yet (don't like my current box). I'm working on my own custom fiberglass box to enclose the 12s and point them towards the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Woofer/sub/box in stock sub compartment-z.jpg  
Old 01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
DZTZ33

Thanks for your reply Z-Coaster. I was speaking to the guys who're going to be installing everything in my car, and they said they'll completely seal the stock sub compartment and dynomat it. I was told that the sound will bounce off the seat, then to the rear glass, and back so it'll produce good sound. I was thinking about putting a box in the trunk, but I don't want to lose a lot of trunk space.

I'm getting a 5 channel 770 amp to power a 12 inch sub and the four separates. The guy's going to put the amp in the dummy compartment in the glove box.

I'm going in next week to get it done. Hope it'll sound good.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:21 PM
dbx

Default Dummy Box?

The guy's going to put the amp in the dummy compartment in the glove box.
Where is the dummy box in the glove compartment? My guys are waiting for my US Amp that they are going to put in the glove box behind the passenger seat, but are having to cut two 9" slots on either side to fit this monster. Is there space in there that I am not aware of?
dbx
Old 01-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Z_Coaster

Default Re: Dummy Box?

Originally posted by dbx

Where is the dummy box in the glove compartment? My guys are waiting for my US Amp that they are going to put in the glove box behind the passenger seat, but are having to cut two 9" slots on either side to fit this monster. Is there space in there that I am not aware of?
dbx
If I understand what he is referring to, there isn't really a dummy box in the glove compartment per say. It's really small and won't fit anything, but maybe the owners manual.

Go into the compartment behind the passenger seat and life up the bottom panel. You'll see for yourself.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:49 PM
dbx

Well have lifted it, and what i see is a slight indentation about 1/2" deep. Really was no bargain space wise at all.
Gotta tell you, Nissan really has a thing for useless little mats in the Z. I just found the one in the NAV screen compartment and had a little giggle.
Still would like a little more input on the Kove 10" and Kove component 6.5's as well as the US Amp I am having installed. Good reviews on the US Amp and Kove 10", but really no opinions on the Kove Component speakers.
Thanks,
dbx
Old 03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
NY 350Z

i did my set up today, i was thinking about kove but i went with MTX... i put it in the stock location and it sounds good BUT can sound better...i plan on fillin the spaces maybe this weeked?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:00 AM
dbsinc

Default Post Some PICS

Originally posted by NY 350Z
i did my set up today, i was thinking about kove but i went with MTX... i put it in the stock location and it sounds good BUT can sound better...i plan on fillin the spaces maybe this weeked?
Post some Pics-

thanks