Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

2003 350Z Non Bose, 90% stock, Rear speakers don't work

Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 PM
mattology

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2003 350Z Non Bose, 90% stock, Rear speakers don't work

Hello

My 2003 350Z non Bose model does not have working rear speakers. I have adjusted the balance/fade on the stock unit and nothing works for them.

I thought the car was 100% stock with the stereo, until I replaced the window motors. That was when I realized there were some aftermarket speakers in the doors.

Since the rear speakers didn't work, I thought maybe the previous owner removed them.

This evening I decided to remove the rear panels and what not to see if there were in fact, removed or disconnected rear speakers.

To my surprise, I found the stock clarion rear speakers, held in place by four 8mm hex head screws, and in fact plugged in to the factory wiring harness.

I'm now a little bit confused as to why it's not getting any sound to the rear speakers. I would like to install some aftermarket speakers and head unit in the car, but I am afraid that there's already issues and it will just cascade through the rest of my audio endeavours if I don't resolve this now.

Does anyone have any wiring information regarding this? Is this a common issue when aftermarket speakers are put in the doors and the stock speakers are left to the rear? I haven't even heard of that being an issue before, but I"m just you know, coming up with wild scenarios I guess.

In a perfect world the rear speakers would only be working if I had a nice time alignment head unit to go with my subwoofer, but that is for a long long time i n the future, in a galaxy far far away
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You made your thread unnecessarily long and excessive.

Get new speakers, theyre $50 for entry level 2 way that sound much better than that OE junk. While youre there, get a new radio.

You make it sound like your engine blew up or something.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
johnx818

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the audio system hasn't been tampered with beyond the front speakers, then you don't have to really worry about any further problems within your audio system.

They're most likely blown. Replace them if you want sound back there. It sounds better with them, IMO. Might not be the same for you since you're talking about time alignment pieces.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I see your join date is 2004 with 18 posts so most likely you do not log on much otherwise this will not surprise you at all. Most (including myself) do not find the rears necessary and eliminate them. From your post I can tell you will have no problem putting together a good sound system youself. Get youself the new head unit, amp and speakers and run new bigger speaker wires. That way you bypass any hidden possible problems with your current system. And you get better sound.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

OP are you the kind of guy that gets a common cold, then you google the symptoms and think to yourself you have cancer AIDS and HIV?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are someone had a stereo in there at some point or your speakers are blown.

You can try new speakers if they don't work either, someone probably had them disconnected at the head unit when they had an aftermarket set up in there.

You will immensely enjoy the results if you end up doing an aftermarket head unit, much better sound, more power to your speakers.

Hit me up if you need help with sizing and options.
The following users liked this post:
johnsal (05-13-2016)