Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Wireless phone charging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013 | 10:06 AM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by Syner
5V is next to nil, it should charge regardless. Are you talking about splicing off the under-dash plug, or actual hardwiring?
It's not the voltage that matters, it's the amperage.

This is why certain usb chargers do not work for iPhones or some other high amperage devices. If your phone requires 1.0A (@ 5v) but your charger or usb port only puts out 0.5A, it will either not charge or charge very slowly.

Therefore when you charge your phone you need to be aware that not all USB ports/chargers are equivalent.

It looks like the pioneer HU's support 1A output. A lot of wireless chargers want a 2A output so I might be hardwiring instead.
Old 11-22-2013 | 10:09 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by mcubed45
It's not the voltage that matters, it's the amperage.

This is why certain usb chargers do not work for iPhones or some other high amperage devices. If your phone requires 1.0A (@ 5v) but your charger or usb port only puts out 0.5A, it will either not charge or charge very slowly.

Therefore when you charge your phone you need to be aware that not all USB ports/chargers are equivalent.

It looks like the pioneer HU's support 1A output. A lot of wireless chargers want a 2A output so I might be hardwiring instead.
Boom! Learn something new everyday!

What were you asking questions for? It sounds like you have a solid plan and quite a bit of knowledge in the area. You should post a walk-through/pictorial if you decide to go through with it.
Old 11-22-2013 | 01:57 PM
Spike100

I’ll bet that he was almost certain his idea would work, but he wisely wanted to know if anyone here had already done this, and if there was a “best” way to do it in the Z.

mcubed45
is an innovative guy who is also is smart enough to know it’s best to learn from others’ experience.

--Spike

Originally Posted by Syner
Boom! Learn something new everyday!

What were you asking questions for? It sounds like you have a solid plan and quite a bit of knowledge in the area. You should post a walk-through/pictorial if you decide to go through with it.
Old 11-22-2013 | 06:35 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by Spike100
I’ll bet that he was almost certain his idea would work, but he wisely wanted to know if anyone here had already done this, and if there was a “best” way to do it in the Z.

mcubed45
is an innovative guy who is also is smart enough to know it’s best to learn from others’ experience.

--Spike
Fair enough.
Old 11-22-2013 | 06:46 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

cool stuff op
Old 11-23-2013 | 07:15 PM
mcubed45

mcubed45

--Spike
lol pretty much.

I was also curious if anyone had added a charger anywhere else like the cubby or the arm rest storage.

I'll be sure to post install pics. Mostly just waiting for the 2014 HU's to get released.
Old 12-10-2013 | 11:08 PM
mcubed45

*UPDATE*

Works great. The hardest part was getting the placement of the charger right. I wanted to make it simple so all I had to do was make my phone flush with the rear and left side to activate the charger.

I was originally gonna remove the components from the charger housing completely but the main coil and ferrite back plate are attached with a very strong adhesive foam. The plate started to crack when I tried to remove it so I opted to just keep the components sealed to the back half of the housing. I had to cut up the housing to get the coil right where I wanted it.

To keep things simple, I'm just using the USB out on the back of the HU for now. I'll have to monitor to see what kind've charging currents I actually get since my HU only has 1amp output to the USB ports (ideally the charger wants 2A but it'll run off of less).

Old 12-11-2013 | 01:33 PM
Spike100

Wow!!

That setup doesn’t even impinge upon the lower storage compartment.

It’s been awhile since we have seen a really great and novel solution in the Audio & Video Sub-Forum. You get the latest prize for a great posting.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 12-11-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2013 | 03:44 PM
Spike100

This thread is a good candidate for a “Sticky Thread.”

Threads in the Audio & Video sub-forum are typically not good candidates for a “Sticky Thread.” That is because this type of thread is directly related to the newest digital technology which typically has a short life and can change overnight.

This thread from mcubed45 presents a new concept that will live for a long time. It provides a solution that is transparent and unique. The solution is inexpensive, very useful, and appropriate for all 350/370z owners. There is no alternative solution for this idea to charge devices.

--Spike
Old 12-11-2013 | 05:30 PM
Italianjoe1

That's a fantastic idea, I always stuff my phone into the center cupholder area when it's plugged in, that makes me wanna switch out to a single-din just to add a charging pad.
Old 12-12-2013 | 03:21 AM
SQuaLZ

Very cool!

Only thing that would drive me crazy would be my phone sliding around in the cubby. You could always get the grip sheets and put it in the cubby space.
Old 12-12-2013 | 03:52 PM
Spike100

^^ Good point… I cut out a thin rubber piece I placed over the shelf to keep the devices (phone, remote, etc.) from sliding around. --Spike
Old 12-12-2013 | 04:31 PM
mcubed45

Wow!!

That setup doesn’t even impinge upon the lower storage compartment.

It’s been awhile since we have seen a really great and novel solution in the Audio & Video Sub-Forum. You get the latest prize for a great posting.

--Spike
Thanks!

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Very cool!

Only thing that would drive me crazy would be my phone sliding around in the cubby. You could always get the grip sheets and put it in the cubby space.

Thanks!

As long as the grip sheets are pretty thin it should be no problem. The pocket is already adding a couple millimeters of distance from the coil. If you've got a case, that adds another couple mm.
Old 12-12-2013 | 04:34 PM
mcubed45

Just in case anyone was wondering what the final install looked like... not that you can actually see anything since it's completely hidden anyways

Old 12-13-2013 | 06:53 AM
mcubed45

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Very cool!

Oh ya I forgot to mention, some wireless charging phones like the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 also have 4 chunks of metal placed around the receiver coil on the phone. This allows the phone to "stick" to chargers equipped with magnets. It's not part of the Qi wireless standard so not a lot of phones have this feature, but it does give you more options in building wireless charging stations. They basically allow you to charge the phone against a vertical surface and automatically align it with the charging coil. In the case of a car mount in a sports car, you could add the magnets and it would stay put in the pocket during "spirited driving".
Old 12-24-2013 | 08:55 PM
Jamin

Wow... really? Why would i want to purchase a cellular telephone?
On the real.. awesome work op, i've thought about trying this.

Last edited by Jamin; 12-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2014 | 12:09 PM
GreyZ33Track

This is a great idea! I have a HTC DNA which has wireless charge built in. I have a charge pad by my bed and would love to incorporate this into my car. Ingenious idea
Old 01-02-2014 | 05:20 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z
Premier Member

This is definitely the neatest solution. I'm OCD so avoiding cables is a plus. LOL

I'll definitely be using this example in the future. Great job OP!
Old 01-03-2014 | 09:59 PM
DarkCreep

Turned out pretty neat OP, kudos to you!

I looked up wireless chargers but they charge a lot slower than regular ones :/
Old 01-07-2014 | 02:04 PM
zakmartin

Really, a fantastic idea, OP. I don't know what was with all the hate from some of the other responders. On the topic of possible RF interference with the HVAC controller, you could probably shield the charger by covering it with a grounded sheet of adhesive-backed copper. You can get those at most guitar stores and on Amazon. They're used to eliminate the RF interference that can give you a bad hum on your electric guitar. They're also good with circuitry, as long as the copper plating doesn't touch anything electrical (you can separate the charger from the copper with a sheet of thin plastic.)

Anyway, just a thought. Once again OP, a clever solution.

Quick Reply: Wireless phone charging?