Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Problems with the Clarion VRX935VD Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 10:43 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with the Clarion VRX935VD Head Unit

I recently installed my Clarion VRX935VD Head unit while keeping the factory BOSE speakers and amp. I ended up using a PAC ROEM-NIS2 to enable me to keep the BOSE stuff. It all installed fine and works great... however, I do have a few problems and was wondering if anyone else with the Clarion VRX935VD HU has similar problems with it?[list=1][*]There is an annoying hiss in the background that I don't remember hearing with the BOSE hu. The hiss seems to stay at a constant volume, even if I increase the volume of the hu.[*]The radio reception is for $h*t! If I had to put it in a percentage, I'd say that the reception is only about 25% of what it used to be. It's almost useless to try to listen to the radio.[*]Because the volume uses buttons and not a ****, even with the volume at it's lowest audible setting (vol=1) it is still too loud.[/list=1]
Anyone else have the same issues and know a way to fix at least #1 and 2? I assume that #3 is just part of the radio's functionality and I'll have to live with it, but the other problems may be fixable?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Losing Grip

ever notice when u put ur CD player on pause and raise the volume to max you here hissing sound? does it sound like that? im sure its some kind of distortion between the HU and the Amp and maybe the PAC thingy is causing it. see if u can switch to a smaller one, bigger one or even a similar one. as for the shity reception that could only be cause by a faulty connect between the antenna and your HU i dont believe the PAc has anything to do with it, although it might.
try changing it like i mentioned before and see what happenes.

john
Old 02-06-2004, 08:26 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Problems

Well, the hiss is always there, but seems to get a bit quieter just before sound begins to play. It's really not that big of a problem because when you have music playing the hiss gets drowned out by the music. It is however VERY annoying when watching movies because there is not always a constant volume level so the hiss is very prevelant.

As for the radio reception, I'll have to take a look at the antenna connection. I'm sure it's in there good, but it can't hurt to doublecheck it.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by this...

see if u can switch to a smaller one, bigger one or even a similar one.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:22 AM
zzzya

Its not surprising at all that:

1. There is noise in the line - more than likely due to the gain running through the speaker outputs from the Clarion HU and also the fact that the Bose unit uses a differential output which floats the ground and reduces noise. Since you have introduced a HU that does not work this way, you have introduced some noise into the system. The only way to get rid of that is eliminate the Bose amplifier and run equipment that all isolate the ground at the unit itself.

2. The volume is way to loud - Again more gain coming from the Clarion into the amp thus creating a higher volume. This is not a good thing for the amplifier. It probably does not like the gain that is coming into it from the HU and may shorten the life of the amplifier significantly. A solution is to either replace the Bose Amplifier or use the line level outputs from the Clarion to the Bose going through a converter. I would first check to see if you can adjust the output gain on the HU though, which would be by far the easiest solution and may decrease the noise you are hearing as well.

3. Poor reception - I have seen many posts stating this very thing with aftermarket HUs. Do a search and you should get more info on this one. I think you need an adapter for the antenna connection to fit properly into the HU, but not sure about that one.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:06 AM
2003z

reception- You need to hook the factory antenna booster to the new head unit. I don't remember which lead, but I think it goes to the power antenna lead on the HU. I've got a clarion 835MP, and needed to hook it up for reception.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:20 PM
bshockley

Originally posted by 2003z
reception- You need to hook the factory antenna booster to the new head unit. I don't remember which lead, but I think it goes to the power antenna lead on the HU. I've got a clarion 835MP, and needed to hook it up for reception.
The Bose system has an antenna amp. So, like 2003z said, it needs power.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:54 AM
wendyk1212

RE: the hissing....I have the stock Bose and the hissing is about to drive me nuts. Only time I don't hear it is when the top is down. I have been back to the dealer but they claim they either 1) don't hear anything 2) turn up the volume 3) it's probably the amplifier but my car not eligible for the upgraded amp. Even with the audio system off it's hissing! My question...any ideas on how to make it stop or any ideas EXACTLY what to ask the dealer to fix. If I can just switch out the amp to get rid of this constant noise (don't really want totear apart the car) and also to get some decent sound, could any of you suggest a brand? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:16 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default fixed... kinda

Originally posted by bshockley
The Bose system has an antenna amp. So, like 2003z said, it needs power.
Oops... forgot to post when I fixed the radio receptio problem a couple months ago. I had to rip out the radio and trace the wires back, but did find the blue antennea wire that I forgot to connect (since I didn't have a power antennea, I figured I didn't need it). After hooking it up... BAM!!! Radio reception was once again back to normal. Unfortunately the hiss is still there, but it's liveable so I'm not going to mess with it any further.

-Chris
Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Clarion VRX815 (pretty much the same HU minus the DVD player) in my old eclipse. I always had slight reception problems. I noticed that my Pioneer HU before that had better reception. About the hissing double check all the grounds and make sure they have good contact. That could be the source of it beside the points everyone else said in this thread.