Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Looking for stealth sub install advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 AM
BriA5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for stealth sub install advice.

I am attempting to keep my sound system completely invisible. So far, I have been successful in my quest. Now I am on to the hard part... adding a sub to the mix.

What's the best way to go to get clean, acurate bass that has good kick, but doesn't need to be heard blocks away in the stock Bose sub location?

My installer (who I trust highly) suggested that i go with:

A) a Freeair/Infinite baffle setup with a very BIG amp

B) a custom fiberglass box made into the compartment, and put a normal sub in there.

What will be the cheapest/most accurate solution? Will the cost of the higher power amplfier for the freeair, and the likely cost of cascading the entire strock sub area wind up being greater that the cost of just having a box made in there?

does anyone here know who makes a good freeair/infinite baffle sub?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:32 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Answer

The Infinity BassLinkX.

It is comes with its own acoustically designed enclosure. It is also powered by an integrated 200 watt (adjustable) power amp.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for stealth sub install advice.-basslinkx1.jpg  
Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 PM
JimRHIT

Place the sub in a custom fiberglass box on the drivers side in the rear hatch area. You can easily put an IDQ10 in a very small sealed box back there. It wont be 100% stealth, but you can cover it w/ carpet and it will hide well.

jim
Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 PM
BriA5

Both good suggestions... my installer just informed me that a new freeair sub model is just being released by Diamond Audio (which everything else in my system is) that works its best, according to the developers, at around 300 Watts. This seems like pretty reasonable power consumption to me. He hasn't used it yet, but claims that people he has spoken to that have RAVE about it. My curiosity is peaked by this option I must say.

For the money, the Basslink can't be beat.. and seems like a really good choice to be put in that spot. My concern is that I have heard it can get a little sluggish on fast moving bass like is present in some of the music i listen to. I am just concerned that it will seem like its dragging compared to the response of my HEX's up front.