Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dual Multimedia Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:37 AM
NismoAttack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Multimedia Install?

Hey guys, I have a pioneer unit already installed in my Z, and I purchased the 06' navigation bezel and navigation buttons to fill in the empty pocket. My hopes are to be able to install a second unit, a smart parrot asteroid to be used for engine diagnostics or even just as a background screen saver. Just something instead of a hole in the middle of the console. The screen will have to be custom fitted with the oem navigation trim pieces I have. So my question is, Is it possible to be able to hook up another functioning multimedia unit if I already have one in place of the oem radio? I just want the new unit to display even a background. Thanks

Dual Multimedia Install?-ak3viusm.jpg
Old 09-28-2017, 11:49 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I mounted a Garmin navigation system in there back when I bought the car new and I still use it. I couldn't really find any other use for the space so I stuck a permanent GPS mount in there. Check the board; there are a bunch of build threads already posted where people put everything from iPads to turbo gauges to mini-shrines to Cthulhu in that empty slot.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM
NismoAttack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zakmartin
I mounted a Garmin navigation system in there back when I bought the car new and I still use it. I couldn't really find any other use for the space so I stuck a permanent GPS mount in there. Check the board; there are a bunch of build threads already posted where people put everything from iPads to turbo gauges to mini-shrines to Cthulhu in that empty slot.
Yeah ive seen people use ipads in that spot, but the reason why I was asking my question is because since I already have a unit hooked up, and I want to add another one (which will have the same wiring) is there a way to wire 2 units to the car? I'm assuming theres only 1 radio harness for a car, so installing 2 radios may or may not be possible. I was wondering if anyone knows if this could work?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:48 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Anything's possible with the right hardware. I wouldn't piggyback a 2nd HU to the 1st one using the same wiring because it will potentially overload the circuit. Better to start with a fresh set of power cables and a switch to swap signal inputs to the speakers. It'd be too much of a hassle for me to consider doing, but hey, to each their own.