Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

2008 Stock Radio and Bluetooth Audio How?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 AM
mjsmikey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Stock Radio and Bluetooth Audio How?

I have a 2008 Z Touring with a Stock Radio which has built in Bluetooth functionality for talking. I also have the IPhone 4. I would like to be able to play my music through the radio via Bluetooth.

I have looked all over the internet for a solution to this, so I pose the question.

How do you get the Iphone to play music over the 350Z head unit via bluetooth?

** Note... this should be possible, because when my phone rings, the ringtone comes over the stereo in the car for a second before the cars standard rings kick in. Perhaps it is simple software? Maybe you know someone who has written some for the Iphone?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 10-30-2011, 01:45 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Can't send music via bluetooth with that setup.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Suwaidi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your phone and your bluetooth device require 'A2DP' in order for the music to work. Your iPhone should have it, but I believe the built-in bluetooth wont. You could buy an aftermarket device that supports iPhone-to-Bluetooth. Personally, I setup my iPhone using a PA15-NIS (iPod to Headunit Adapter) and it works great.

You can take a look at the Neo Audio units: http://www.neocaraudio.com/cars/2008_NISSAN_350Z

The 'PODNISGV6' supports a Bluetooth upgrade but I'm not sure how much the whole setup will be, I'm assuming around $300 with the initial device and all.

In my opinion, pickup the PA15-NIS. It works great, takes an hour or two to install, but it's not wireless as you'll have a cable coming out of the device (which you can stash in the headunit).

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:32 PM
mjsmikey

So what is stopping it from working? I mean if when my phone rings my personalized ringtone comes over the stereo on the car for a second, why couldn't it be something simple.

Can't someone write software that integrates with the audio source to allow you to select that, but make it transmit like the phone was actually in talk mode.

I would assume this has been done somewhere already? Anybody know?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsmikey
I would assume this has been done somewhere already? Anybody know?
Why would you assume this? Why would someone go through all the trouble of creating an interface to hack into the source code of a proprietary Bluetooth system that probably doesn't even have the hardware to support A2DP?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
mjsmikey

They wouldn't be, no source code hacking at all... audio already works. I talk to the bluetooth from my car, so if the phone sent a signal to the stereo that it was in phone talking mode, then the phone could send music instead of people talking on the phone line.

It would be a really simple program to write... if I knew how, because all you have to do is turn the bluetooth on and transmit music instead of what someone says on the otherline. you wouldn't need to hack source code or anything.

Plus, if you read below, the ringtone actually comes over the stereo already before the car starts its own ringtone.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Very over-simplified, and very incorrect.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Very over-simplified, and very incorrect.
Yup.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Earmuffs

Okay, I did not read this whole thread cause it looks as though it's collapsing on itself....

For transmitting stereo over Bluetooth you can use A2DP and AVCRP, maybe others (these are profiles) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

The chip-set in your stereo is setup for hands free calling (MONO), so two completely different animals. So if there is no hardware support on side of the Z....

With my Android device I have seen a software that lets you take stereo audio and output a mono stream for going over a Bluetooth headset. I don't think this would offer
a high bitrate stream (as in it would be low quality) even if you could stand your music in mono.

Short version:

Head unit setup for mono hands free calling
iPhone setup for stereo output of music
Chips in head unit likely can't process stereo over Bluetooth
Might be able to make it work with a software app for the iPhone

look for "mono music output Bluetooth iPhone 4" or various Google searches

I don't know if you will find an app being that apple controls the market of their super propriety device so tightly.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 PM
nelieb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using the viseeousa WMA1000 when I do wireless streaming of music in my car. Get this one and job done.