Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Factory Wiring to Doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:13 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Wiring to Doors

I am in the process of installing Infinity 6.5's and INfinity Tweeters in my doors. I am going to bypass the factory bose stuff by running new wires to all of the speaker locations. I read the post by tonkadog on how to run these wires. However, I am not interrested in cutting into my factory plugs. So my idea now is to tap into the factory harness on the inside of the car and utilize the factory wiring that goes thru the door. I noticed that the wires going to the factory speakers are red and blue. I am assuming the red is the hot wire and the blue is ground. Does anyone know for sure what wires that are coming out of the factory plug on the interior of the car are for the speakers and is that all that those 2 wires go to. ANy help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:38 AM
bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about this before, but here it is again: If you are installing a new headunit, you can just use the Metra plug's front speaker inputs (white and gray), which then plug into the factory headunit plug. If you are not changing the headunit, look at this (it's for a Maxima but the '95 and newer plug is the same as for a 350Z) http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/647021.pdf

Toward the end of this PDF, on page 8, look at the plug diagram for the 95-96 and up Max, and you will be able to locate the four wires for the front speakers.

On that diagram, they are:

Right Front +: I
Right Front -: O

Left Front +: J
Left Front -: P

Inside the door, you are correct about the red and blue, but the two from the headunit go into a splitter thing that looks like a white plastic plug that only has connections on one side. The red and blue wires are in two groups of 3 each, like:

red red red blue blue blue

and I believe the center of each (pins 2 and 5) are the ones that connect directly to the headunit. You would have to patch in there, before the plug thing, if you are using components (for the crossover). If you are not, then you can simply use the wires that come out and go to the proper locations.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:36 PM
zachcrosen

Hey bastard. I am using components in my doors. I am putting the crossover in the secret compartment in the glove box. I am going to run wire from the aftermarket HU to the crossover and then back to each individual door. The white plastic plug you are talking about, id that the one that is located on the inside of the door jamb that connects to the plug coming from the door itself? Also, how do I identify the pin numbers? Thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 12:52 PM
zachcrosen

also, are there 2 sets of wires that are at this location, one for each speaker or is it just 1 wire and the speakers are tied together inside the door.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is only one pair of wires going into each door. They are split inside of the door at a little plastic plug thing, located at where the wiring harness comes from inside the door to what would be below the door panel. There's a big *** bubble grommet about a foot below the sail panel. You will see a white plug-like object with 3 red wires and 3 blue wires taped to the harness near the grommet. So, basically, here's the deal:

If you want to use components and NOT have the crossovers in the doors, you will have to run at least one pair of wires, which involves drilling factory plugs and all that crap which none of us really want to do. Or you have to put the crossovers inside of the doors, patched in at the above mentioned weird little plug thing, which sorta sucks as well.

I have my crossovers in the doors. There is an indentation in the metal door panel at about where the elbow rest would be if the plastic door panel was on, which is a really nice place for crossover mounting. I don't worry too much about moisture and **** since the Z's doors are very well sealed, with rubber stickers over the holes in the metal and so forth. Plus, I'd rather have my crossovers get a little screwed up than something in the car get screwed up.