Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Can I get by without a sub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 AM
devildoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get by without a sub?

Is it possible to upgrade without installing a sub? Will tthe quality be good with some highend 6 1/2's all around and my Alpine CDA 7894 60x4 pushing them all? I really need what little trunk space I already have.

I don't want to run a amp or subs.

Thanks

Ian
Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 AM
2003z

you could put an infinity basslink in the stock setup like I did. The basslink is a self enclosed 200w amp and 10" sub.

Do a search on here for basslink, and posts by frankmusic. He has a good writeup showing how to mount it, and you would never know its there., plus you can get one on ebay for around 175.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:46 AM
toykilla

If you get some good high end components, a good head unit, and a good amplifier you will not need a sub.

I have infinity kappa perfect components, and sometimes i turn my subs off and quite honestly it still sounds amazing. There is ample bass response, but dont expect to feel the bass in your lungs like you do with subwoofers.

if u want a good clean sound and dont want to sacrifice space, spend the extra money on some quality component speakers, amplifier, and head unit.

dynomatting the doors really well will help the bass response as well .
Old 03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 2003z has an awesome Z

Do a search on here for basslink, and posts by frankmusic. He has a good writeup showing how to mount it,
Thanks for the compliment, Mike. I hope all goes well with you these days.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:01 AM
mofoz

ya, i was wondering the same thing. I dont mind running an amp, probably put it in the glove box, and i was thinking alpine HU and some MB Quart RCE 216s and maybe MB Quart Discuss for the rears. Are the infinitys better?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:30 AM
jreiter

I would agree with 'toykilla' here. A good 4 channel amp running some good speakers will sound very good. I would also *highly* recommend installing as much sound deadening material as possible. The Z has very little of it from the factory, and almost none in the back hatch area. Reducing road noise will improve the sound of everything, especially bass which tends to get drowned out on the highway due to road noise.

Just a note on head unit amplifiers: (This is my standard preaching routine.) You should always look at the RMS (continuous) power ratings of an amp, not the max/peak outputs. And even then, many manufacturers tend to be overly optimistic with their power ratings, so I general drop another 25% off of the RMS ratings they list. Having said that, I've been impressed lately by Alpine's headunits with the V-drive built-in amps. Still not as good as a separate amp, but much better than most head units. They put out enough power that you actually are supposed to run a dedicated power wire from the battery to the head unit, just as you would a separate amp.