Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Natal
Please post some pictures of your AVElectronic Navigation Tuner System installation.

I'm also interested in the video sync problem; didn't know they had two different screens on the 2003. I'm guessing you spliced your AVElectronic system wires directly to the output of the Nav system, since they don't have an adapter, or were you able to use part of the connector?
You can cut the wires either at the nav unit or screen. I did it at the nav unit about three to four inches from the plug to the nav unit.

You have to make 8 connections in the instructions to 4 cut wires. You have to splice into the red, green, and blue colors plus the sync wire going into the nav unit with the colors from the tv tuner. Then you have to splice into the red, green, and blue colors plus the sync wire going into the nav screen with four different wires from the tv tuner.

I have to cut one additional wire on pin 14 of the nav unit for my screen to sync right. This step is not listed in the instructions since it is a very low percentage of people with this screen. It is not connected to anything on the nav unit side, however the other half going to the screen is added to the sync wire on the screen side. I have not made the last connection yet since I have not had the time to take the car apart again, however we are having an install meet in Atlanta this weekend and I will complete the install then. I will post any notes from that next week.

As to the install of the unit I mounted it under the glove box. It has its own relay using the cig lighter to turn the unit on and off with the car. I took the wire to be connnected to the parking brake and grounded it thus insuring the system will work while driving. I have not added the optional backup camera either. That wire should be connected to the reverse lights. The unit comes with an FM modulater for sound input to the HU that I did not use. We bought a Ai-Net cable to RCA that we are using to run the sound into the XM box that gets passed up the Ai-net cable to the HU. I have some pictures that I will try to post tonight when I get home.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Natal

Originally posted by LeMans350z
You can cut the wires either at the nav unit or screen. I did it at the nav unit about three to four inches from the plug to the nav unit...
Thanks for the detailed info. I believe there's more room to work with, in the back by the Nav unit, than in there is in the front, by the screen area. I was about to install the same AVElectronic system, but I was concerned about warranty issues with the Nav system if I spliced into the wires coming out of the Nav unit. Good thing I hesitated, because I've had problems with my Nav not wanting to read from the DVD. Once I get Nissan to repair/replace my Nav system, I'll take the chance of voiding the warranty by splicing into those cables and installing the AVElectronic tuner system.

BTW, good choice on the HU replacement. I'm having to live with the FM modulator for now (not a good compromise). Good luck getting the screen sync to work correctly!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

More pics! Dash with HU off:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-stereo_closed.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Xbox:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-xbox.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Inverter (power for laptop and xbox):
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-inverter.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

TV Tuner:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-tv.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

DVD "The Run":
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-dvd.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Amp with bose panel off:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-amp_01.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Amp at night:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-amp_02.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Xbox:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-xboxpic.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

cutting:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-cutting.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

sub amp control:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-bass.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

tv tuner location:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-tvtuner.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

TV Tuner switch:
Attached Thumbnails HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install-tvtunerswitch.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:46 PM
MCopare

Very clean install.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:16 PM
ZZtopp

Great installation. How good is the quality of the NAV screen when playing DVD's? Is it comparable to an LCD screen designed specifically for that purpose?
Old 03-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Charly

Yes,a great install and a bunch of work

I have added a X-Box too and have the problem of the X-Box rebooting everytime i start the car with the X-box already running
What have you done to prevent this?
And i recommend checking the cpu-temp after a few hours of running the x-box!Mine got really hot--mostly because of sharing the same cubby with the inverter (hot!),acting on the X-box...
Maybe it`s better with your set-up.
It annoys me very much when i have to run throug the whole x-box menue searching for the song/film i was listening, before i had the great idea to start the motor to go for a spin around the block

thx, Charly
Old 03-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Originally posted by ZZtopp
Great installation. How good is the quality of the NAV screen when playing DVD's? Is it comparable to an LCD screen designed specifically for that purpose?
Let you know after I fix the sync problem tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Originally posted by Charly
Yes,a great install and a bunch of work

I have added a X-Box too and have the problem of the X-Box rebooting everytime i start the car with the X-box already running
What have you done to prevent this?
And i recommend checking the cpu-temp after a few hours of running the x-box!Mine got really hot--mostly because of sharing the same cubby with the inverter (hot!),acting on the X-box...
Maybe it`s better with your set-up.
It annoys me very much when i have to run throug the whole x-box menue searching for the song/film i was listening, before i had the great idea to start the motor to go for a spin around the block

thx, Charly
I only use the xbox for gaming so I guess it does not bother me as much since I turn on the inverter each time I want to use the Xbox. I don't leave it on all the time.

I did notice that it asks to set the date each time I turn it on and I just click the buttons on the controler till it starts loading the game. My inverter is behind the glove box so I haven't noticed a lot of heat yet. I am going to spend some time this weekend palying with it so maybe I will notice more heat then.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Charly

Thanks for your quick response,i´m concidering a second(small)battery.Maybe this helps...

Quick Reply: HU, XM, Amp, DVD, TV Tuner, Xbox, Sub, Speaker install