Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

question about getting an mp3 player

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:17 PM
CatchingZs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about getting an mp3 player

Hey I was wondering what to get to replace the 350z's cd player w/ one of those mp3 in dash players? Can you just remove the face off the z's stereo and buy an mp3 face and use the z's stock cd player?...or do you need to get the mp3 face AND a new cd player stereo? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:34 AM
SmO69

i wish it were that easy.... need a whole new head unit.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:29 AM
isugoo

Default Re: question about getting an mp3 player

Originally posted by CatchingZs
Hey I was wondering what to get to replace the 350z's cd player w/ one of those mp3 in dash players? Can you just remove the face off the z's stereo and buy an mp3 face and use the z's stock cd player?...or do you need to get the mp3 face AND a new cd player stereo? Thanks!
i think you can.
I checked your profile and you have Performance model. It shouldn't be a problem.
Sm069 had Touring and he has Bose system which requires whole new wiring, speakers (optionial amps and sub) to replace a headunit to listen MP3 files.

here is my setup for MP3s and it sounds same with listening CD on Bose, nothing really bothers me on sound quality except that I wasted money for Bose in first place. (btw, my MP3s are in 256kbps)
Attached Thumbnails question about getting an mp3 player-dsc00624.jpg  
Old 03-16-2004, 05:31 AM
Conceyted

Default Re: Re: question about getting an mp3 player

Originally posted by isugoo
i think you can.
I checked your profile and you have Performance model. It shouldn't be a problem.
Sm069 had Touring and he has Bose system which requires whole new wiring, speakers (optionial amps and sub) to replace a headunit to listen MP3 files.

here is my setup for MP3s and it sounds same with listening CD on Bose, nothing really bothers me on sound quality except that I wasted money for Bose in first place. (btw, my MP3s are in 256kbps)
Non bose head units do not have tape players, therefor he would have a lessened sound quality, having to use an fm modulator to hear his mp3 player in his car stereo.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:19 AM
isugoo

NO bose means EASY upgrade. So I think he can put any types of aftermarket MP3 players without rewiring or any types of big hassle.
i planned to replace headunit but i found out i have to replace wholething so i decided to connect my ipod instead of spending 2000 dollars.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 PM
merlund

if you dont mind me asking isugoo, how did you get your iPod hooked up like that? i see you have one of those tape adapters, like what came with my old Discman... do i need anything else or is that it? from what ive been hearing on here, not too many people like the bose system. so far it doesnt bother me, except no other apparent way to hook up a device like the iPod other than running it through the tape deck.

thx,
Matt
Old 03-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Dershum

Originally posted by merlund
if you dont mind me asking isugoo, how did you get your iPod hooked up like that? i see you have one of those tape adapters, like what came with my old Discman... do i need anything else or is that it? from what ive been hearing on here, not too many people like the bose system. so far it doesnt bother me, except no other apparent way to hook up a device like the iPod other than running it through the tape deck.

thx,
Matt
Get the Belkin car adapter for the iPod. It has a line-out on the cigarette adapter end of the cable that is a true line-out (unlike the headphone out on the top).
Old 03-20-2004, 12:37 PM
merlund

looks like belkin has quite a few accessories for the iPod. thx for the help Dershum.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:05 AM
isugoo

Originally posted by merlund

thx,
Matt
oh, sorry for this late answer merlund.
here is my set up:
Belkin Auto Charger w/Audio for iPod
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...aCm/1.3.0.5.10

Sony CPA-9C Car Cassette Adapter

Belkin TuneDok Car Holder for iPod

2things.
1. Many brands offer white cassette tape adapter for ipod but I didn't like to see white cable going into my cassette so i used BLACK regular Sony cassette adapter.

2. belkin auto charger is the best. here is why:
belkin auto charger has audio out (=headphone out which your cassette adapter will connect to) built in their charger.
so when you get in your car, you will only need to connect ipod's bottom connector to belkin charger.
NO need to connect extra cassette adapter to your ipod's headphone out. which will make you easy to connect your ipod and make it look better (1 less cable) and it will disable ipod's volume control and you will be able to control volume through your audio head unit.
i don't think i explained well but ask me any questions, i will do my best to answer any questions.
Attached Thumbnails question about getting an mp3 player-ipod-connector.jpg