Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

antenna not working with aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:08 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default antenna not working with aftermarket headunit

I bought my car with 9K miles on the motor used from a Nissan dealership

the radio is a panasonic DVD/MP3 player and for some reason when its set to FM it only picks up 2 stations and not very good at that....

I've checked the plug in the back and its tight onlything I can thing of is maybe the stock antenna needs to be powered by something more then juts a headunit?

is there a trick to getting the stock antenna to work with a aftermarket headunit?

I have a 100K mile warrenty but since the radio is aftermarket they will not touch it

=(

Thanks for any help
Old 03-22-2004, 09:33 PM
jesseenglish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supposedly there is an antenna preamp wire. Mine isn't hooked up either so my reception sucks. I know there is at least one thread about this exact subject. I haven't fixed mine yet, because I mainly listen to CD's, but it's probably your problem.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:52 PM
bastard

Ok: here it is:

The stock antenna has an antenna amplifier on it. Without it connected, the reception is lousy.

I do not remember the factory harness color, however, if your headunit was installed with the Metra wiring harness adaptor plug, then you must hook up the power antenna lead to your headunit's power antenna or amp remote lead. On the Metra plug, this wire is blue. On your headunit, it should be blue, with or without a white stripe. Connect the Metra blue wire with the headunit's blue wire and you it will power the stock antenna amplifier and your radio reception will stop sucking.

Here's a reference for the wiring:

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/647021.pdf

On page 8, the wiring harnesses for older and newer Maximas are shown. The "1995-1996 and newer" diagram is what you want. The plug on the Max is the same as on the 350Z. Pin "N" is the power antenna lead. Your headunit's power antenna or amp remote should hook up to it.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:58 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Blue wire

Originally posted by bastard
Ok: here it is:

The stock antenna has an antenna amplifier on it. Without it connected, the reception is lousy.

I do not remember the factory harness color, however, if your headunit was installed with the Metra wiring harness adaptor plug, then you must hook up the power antenna lead to your headunit's power antenna or amp remote lead. On the Metra plug, this wire is blue. On your headunit, it should be blue, with or without a white stripe. Connect the Metra blue wire with the headunit's blue wire and you it will power the stock antenna amplifier and your radio reception will stop sucking.
Yup! I hooked up my Clarion VRX935VD and forgot to hook up the power antennea wire and my reception has been crrrrrrrrappy! It really wasn't a big deal though because I normally listen to CD/MP3's. I decided that I did actually want to listen to radio every once in a while so I took it apart and found the power antennea wire (blue) from the Clarion HU and ran it to the Power Antennea wire (#5 on the harness, also Blue) and BINGO!! Reception is back to what it was with the stock BLOSE system. Also, I had originally used a line output converter since I only replaced the BLOSE Hu and hept the speakers/amp, but for the hell of it I removed it and wired the Clarion HU directly to the Metra harness and guess what... there is no difference at all. Not sure what all the hype is now about needing to use a Line Output converter. Mine is working A-OKAY without it.

-Chris