Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Mute Wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:23 AM
dcwilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mute Wire

I have a Track Model and no Nav. I have the stock head unit with the single CD player. Is there a mute wire back there? I am installing a Phone kit and would like to use a mute wire.

I'm sure this has been answered before, but the seach function is returning a DB error.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:40 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I personally couldn't find the info

so I bought a stock HU on ebay and took it apart. There is a brown connector on the back which is labeled inside as a telephone mute and speaker input, and also on that connector is the navigation mute and speaker input, I believe they both use a different speaker - nav left side, telephone right.

I have not yet done the radio hook up yet on my installed CARK-91 because I am still trying to find the female connector to plug into the brown male on the back of the radio. If I can't find it, I will solder a plug interface. If you find a source for the connector, let me know please. If you need the pin out for the connector, PM me.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:55 AM
dcwilson

Default Re: I personally couldn't find the info

Originally posted by gringott
so I bought a stock HU on ebay and took it apart. There is a brown connector on the back which is labeled inside as a telephone mute and speaker input, and also on that connector is the navigation mute and speaker input, I believe they both use a different speaker - nav left side, telephone right.

I have not yet done the radio hook up yet on my installed CARK-91 because I am still trying to find the female connector to plug into the brown male on the back of the radio. If I can't find it, I will solder a plug interface. If you find a source for the connector, let me know please. If you need the pin out for the connector, PM me.
As you are looking at the back of the HU, which pin in the "brown Connector" is the "Telephone Mute?"
Old 03-30-2004, 08:27 AM
gringott

Default This is what they are:

As seen from the rear of the radio, pin labels are from circuit board inside radio.
Attached Thumbnails Mute Wire-telephone-nav-linkupsm.gif  
Old 03-30-2004, 08:33 AM
dcwilson

Default Re: This is what they are:

As seen from the rear of the radio, pin labels are from circuit board inside radio.
Excellent, thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
dcwilson

Default Re: This is what they are:

I could not get the Tel Mute line to work at all. The Nav in line mutes the front speakers when 12V is applied to it. So you will need a relay to make a Nokia CARK work on the Nav in line.

I used a female contact from a MIL connector that fit good and snug to mate with the Nav in line, covered it in heatshrink, then tied it into the bundle.

Last edited by dcwilson; 03-31-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:05 AM
gringott

Default Hmmm

so pulling it to ground did nothing?
I know for a fact that some aftermarket Clarions that are sold in Europe require 12V to the telephone mute line to pull it, they posted a circuit online in the Netherlands on how to do it.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:37 AM
dcwilson

Default Re: Hmmm

so pulling it to ground did nothing?
I know for a fact that some aftermarket Clarions that are sold in Europe require 12V to the telephone mute line to pull it, they posted a circuit online in the Netherlands on how to do it.
That is correct. I first measured the voltage on the Tel IN line and the Nav IN line...No voltage, so I figured they required a hi (12v) to activate. I tried to ground them anyway and got no response. I then put 12v on the Tel IN line and got nothing...WTF? Then I tried 12v on the NAV IN line and whala, that muted the front speakers, witch is 90% of the sound anyway.

If I ever get off the phone with verizon I am headed to Autozone to get a relay, and I will be done!

Verizon SUCKS!!!