Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help! My air bag light is on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 08:43 PM
The Sopranos 16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! My air bag light is on!

I had to remove my passenger seat yesterday to install a capacitor to my sub amp. Everything with that went fine but now my air bag light is blinking. Im pretty sure I reconnected all the wires attatched to the seat properly. There were 3 of them I believe. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe the light just needs to be reset somehow?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:07 PM
jeffa

If you turn on the ignition after disconnectiong the seat airbags, the airbag light will blink. You will need to have this reset by the dealer. I suggest that you disconnect the battery before disconnection the airbag harness plug.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Rushguy

Yea I did the same thing, dealer can reset it in 5 seconds. I went in for an oil change yesterday and they did it for me then.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:54 AM
The Sopranos 16

So there is no way to reset it myself?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 PM
peterhong

Actually, there is a way to reset yourself. I remember reading a post in here about a month ago. Procedure went something like turning your key in the ignition without starting the car, waiting a few seconds for light to blink, then doing something. Cant remember exactly. Do a search for the post and you'll find it.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:40 PM
The Sopranos 16

Originally posted by peterhong
Actually, there is a way to reset yourself. I remember reading a post in here about a month ago. Procedure went something like turning your key in the ignition without starting the car, waiting a few seconds for light to blink, then doing something. Cant remember exactly. Do a search for the post and you'll find it.
I'd love to but the search feature has been broken for a long time. Anybody know how to do this procedure? I suppose disconnecting the battery terminal wouldn't do it either huh?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Rushguy

All I know is the tech at my dealership said once you set it off only they can reset it. Just bring it to the dealer, if their like mine you'll be in and out in 5 minutes.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:25 AM
peterhong

I say keep waiting for replies cause I know for a fact there was some weird procedure to get the light off and nobody believed it would work but it did. The reason I say this is because if you goto a dealer to have the light reset, it is inputted into their computers and it might void future warranty work.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Moroccan_Mole

you can reset it yourself, i deleted the pm that gave me the instructions.

but iirc, you turn the ignition to on. as soon as the airbag light blinks, turn the car to off. count 10 seconds (use a watch). repeat 4 times.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:57 PM
The Sopranos 16

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
you can reset it yourself, i deleted the pm that gave me the instructions.

but iirc, you turn the ignition to on. as soon as the airbag light blinks, turn the car to off. count 10 seconds (use a watch). repeat 4 times.
When I read your instructions I thought you were crazy. Thats the stupidest thing I ever heard, but I went out in my car and I tried it and IT WORKED!!! But I guess there are no reset buttons for things like that so they have to use these sort of "backdoor hacks." But the bottom line is that my light no longer blinks....thanks a lot for your help...and to everyone else who provided input. Thats why I love this forum...Theres is always someone out there with the answer!
Old 04-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Rushguy

Originally posted by peterhong
I say keep waiting for replies cause I know for a fact there was some weird procedure to get the light off and nobody believed it would work but it did. The reason I say this is because if you goto a dealer to have the light reset, it is inputted into their computers and it might void future warranty work.
Glad you waited and it worked, but I'd like to know why you would say having your light reset could possibly void warranty work? Well I'm writing down htis procedure in case I ever set it off again anyway hehe.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 PM
oaktown350

I just had mine reset by the dealer on Friday. The guy said that the computer will remember that it was reset once. I don't think it'll void any warranty. It's just a way for them to keep track of whats being done to the car. Since it is done by the dealer, I will hold them responsible for any future problems with my air bag!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:37 PM
peterhong

I say that it might void warranty because if you take it to the dealer, they make a note of the light coming on and the reasons why the light came on. If a future problem occurs, they can blame it on the mod you did or that the problem had something to do with what you did to your car. Sure they can always find out, but let them figure it out instead of just telling them. But if the dealer themselves caused the light, then you should be fine. I'm just addressing those people that do the DIY projects and some weird light pops on.

Also, I told you it sounded like a crazy fix for the airbag, but I'm glad it worked for you.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:45 PM
silverstoneTT

Just writing here, realize this is an extremely old thread but I had this problem and this solution does work. You may have to try it a few times before you get it right.

Also, I was confused but you do NOT need to actually turn the car on and off four times.

So yea, if you have this problem, do this.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverstoneTT
Just writing here, realize this is an extremely old thread but I had this problem and this solution does work. You may have to try it a few times before you get it right.

Also, I was confused but you do NOT need to actually turn the car on and off four times.

So yea, if you have this problem, do this.
i used this technique today to reset my airbag light, and it worked. also, if you leave the driver's door open, the bell chimes every second, so you can just count the rings instead of watching the clock.
ps: since i'm out of my warranty period, the dealer wanted $90 to "diagnose" the source of the flashing airbag light. saved myself $90 with this fix.

Last edited by Z BOY; 06-02-2006 at 09:11 PM.