Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Gurp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan

I just bought the sony 7700 double din head unit and needed a dash kit for the installation. Would I have to get this from Japan?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
G
Old 04-07-2004, 06:09 PM
seanrulz

I have that headunit and I also tried to get the genuine Nissan double din dash kit from Japan. I tried to get it from japanparts.com but it ended up taking too long.
So instead, I just ordered the kit from crutchfield.com. It was 1-2 din universal dash kit for 350Z or something but it fitted with no problem after I cut off the divider in the middle and sand off the side to make it smooth. It fitted perfect afterall.
It was about $20 from crutchfield.
Attached Thumbnails Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan-resize-of-p1010014.jpg  
Old 04-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Dissident

I did the same thing. It was supposed to come with one, but the stupid person I bought from on ebay neglected to tell me it was missing. Yeah, I think I got it for like $15 or something, and it's ok. Good enough not to notice anyway
Old 04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
JST4FN

A little off topic but, how much is that head unit and do you have link to the info on it?
Thanks Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 11:04 PM
yoonakron

Default Re: Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan

Originally posted by Gurp
I just bought the sony 7700 double din head unit and needed a dash kit for the installation. Would I have to get this from Japan?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
G
The Japanese OEM Nissan double din kit is great, but it's not a perfect fit either, as there will be a gap around the edges. Depends on how you want it to look. It's very similar to seanrulz's kit, but also about double the price w/shipping ($28). The good thing is that it's a PERFECT color match to the plastic on the dash, complete with the honeycomb texture.

I have the Nissan double din kit, but I had it modified to have NO gap whatsoever:

Like I said, it just depends how you want it to look and how much you're willing to spend to achieve that look. If you don't mind the gap, just get one of the Metra kits and cut the divider.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:56 PM
gt3

yoonakron, where did you purchase your kit? Japanparts.com as well? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 PM
yoonakron

gt3, yeah I got mine from JapanParts.Com. In hindsight, $28 was a bit high for a kit that we ended up slapping bondo all over and sanding. Thing is, I was hoping that it'd fit perfect w/o having to modify (damn gaps!). If you don't mind the gap, but want the most stock appearance possible, then DEFINITELY get the OEM Nissan double din. It's worth the $28! I wish I had taken pics of what it looked like installed, before we modified it. It'd probably fit other double din HU's quite well, it's just that the Sony 7700's got weird dimensions, even for a double din.

I actually had the Metra kit as well, but when we test-fitted both kits, the OEM Nissan one was STILL the cleaner fit (of course) and thus, was the better one to use as a template for my modification. The part number/code are as follows:

Part Code 28074
Part Number *68105-CD000 Audio Finisher

That should be all the product info you need to get the OEM Nissan double din kit.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 AM
gt3

Originally posted by yoonakron
gt3, yeah I got mine from JapanParts.Com. In hindsight, $28 was a bit high for a kit that we ended up slapping bondo all over and sanding. Thing is, I was hoping that it'd fit perfect w/o having to modify (damn gaps!). If you don't mind the gap, but want the most stock appearance possible, then DEFINITELY get the OEM Nissan double din. It's worth the $28! I wish I had taken pics of what it looked like installed, before we modified it. It'd probably fit other double din HU's quite well, it's just that the Sony 7700's got weird dimensions, even for a double din.

I actually had the Metra kit as well, but when we test-fitted both kits, the OEM Nissan one was STILL the cleaner fit (of course) and thus, was the better one to use as a template for my modification. The part number/code are as follows:

Part Code 28074

That should be all the product info you need to get the OEM Nissan double din kit.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that it still took a lot of work for your trim plate to look so perfect. Great job!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:36 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thank you for the ordering info

I ordered this din plate from japanparts.com. Price was high but I liked what you said about the texture matching the dash. Current price delivered to KY was 4,210JPY (38 dollars and 83 cents). That is the total price - of course, it is extra to use credit card, fee for shipping, insurance, etc. But if it is as you described it should meet my requirements for sure. Thanks again for sharing your information.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Gurp

I just got my deck yesterday. It came with screws, but no metal clips to screw into the sides for installation. Do I have to get that from somewhere else?

Also, I have emailed japanparts.com twice about purchasing the dash kit, but no reply. How do I order it?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:13 AM
gringott

Default I gave them the following information by emailing

to this email address:

contact@japanparts.com

I said this:

I have a Nissan 350Z with stock head unit CD player.
I am changing to a double din Sony WX-7700MDX
I need the OEM plastic Nissan finishing piece.
I believe this is the information.
Part Code 28074

and then I included my contact information, email, postal address, telephone, etc.

Then about 24 hrs. later they emailed me this:

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for sending us E-mail.
Here is the estimation for you.

*68105-CD000 Audio Finisher[1]: 2,000JPY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sub Total: 2,000JPY
Shipping to U.S.A Via EMS: 2,000JPY
++It'll take about 10 days for preparing & delivery time++
(working to get to U.S.A since we receive your payment)
Mail Order Card Sale (5%) for Credit Card Company: 210JPY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Total: 4,210JPY

Then you go to the japanparts.com site and fill out the order form using the estimation that they send you.

Then they will email you back when the order has been charged. Then you will get another email upon shipping.

How's that?
Old 04-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Gurp

Excellent....thanks a lot!

Does anybody have the wiring diagram in english or maybe post the wire colors and what they are for.

thanks...any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:15 AM
gringott

Default Just an update on my setup

and orders.

I got an email from japanparts.com on Monday (20 April), stating they had charged my account. On Thursday(23 April), I got an email with a USPS tracking number. Today, it showed up as shipped from Tokyo on 11:57 pm on April 22, 2004. So they are not to bad on speed. Will post when I get it how good it is, etc.

On another note, I got the Sony XA 300 to go with the WX.

Here is Sounddomain's description:

The XA-300 provides two auxiliary audio inputs for any UniLink CD changer-controlling Sony receiver. There is also a USB port (v1.1) for direct connection to a laptop or portable MP3 player. Features a headphone output with level control for input 1, and a UniLink pass-through port so you don't lose connectivity of your CD changer. Compatible with all UniLink Sony receivers and all UniLink 6- and 10-disc CD changers (CD changer is not required for auxiliary input). Not compatible with the Sony DVX-100 DVD changer.

Great for hooking up my Zputer and also kid's gamecube or whatever. The first aux is always on and has a volume control and headphone jack, so for example the kid can watch DVDs on the screen and listen with headphones while I rock out with the radio. Quite the add on, I think, and I have not seen anyone mention it here. I also ordered the CDX-757MX, mp3 changer.

Can't wait to pump this sony system into the car. I really like the features that sony has.

For a wiring diagram I looked at a simular sony head unit in english and compared the chart to the one in Japanese. By using the pictures and way it looked, the hookups are the same. Even the wire colors.

I bought the XA-300 from a guy in Canada off ebay, got it for around $80 shipped brand new.
Here is a picture of the XA-300:
Attached Thumbnails Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan-sonxa300_1.jpg  
Old 04-26-2004, 11:26 PM
gringott

Default Got the Double Din from Japan Saturday

It is an exact match in color, however, the one I got does not have the honeycomb texture. It snaps right in the opening.
I have a spare console so I have test fitted the WX-7700MDX into the dash here in my basement. The Nissan double din spacer fits in the dash very nice, the WX bolts to the factory radio mounts. The WX comes with a rubber gasket for the front. Without the gasket, you would have big gaps into the dash. How it works, instead of being flush, the gasket gives a backdrop to the Nissan dd adapter, so you don't see back in the dash. I understand why yoonakron modified his, because you will have the adapter, then a depression around the whole thing, backed by the gasket, then the radio faceplate. I will fit mine like this at first and see if I can live with it.

One question I do have. I have been unable to get an english manual, tried New Zealand ( we can only service customers from New Zealand) and Australia (if you don't have the manual, see your local Sony Dealer and they will get it from us) so I do have questions.

The sub output has two RCA jacks. I know that they are mono, so are they for hooking up two subs? I have one Basslink, which one should I hook it to?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:18 AM
zorrocar1

Default Re: Re: Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan

Originally posted by yoonakron
The Japanese OEM Nissan double din kit is great, but it's not a perfect fit either, as there will be a gap around the edges. Depends on how you want it to look. It's very similar to seanrulz's kit, but also about double the price w/shipping ($28). The good thing is that it's a PERFECT color match to the plastic on the dash, complete with the honeycomb texture.

I have the Nissan double din kit, but I had it modified to have NO gap whatsoever:

Like I said, it just depends how you want it to look and how much you're willing to spend to achieve that look. If you don't mind the gap, just get one of the Metra kits and cut the divider.
Man if i had all that in my car I could live in it!!! Thats an awesome setup. If your looking for NAV and DVD go look at that Pioneer AVIC-N1
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 AM
gringott

I also have a car pc together here in the basement that will go into the passenger side glovebox. That will control the nav/gps setup and I think the XM setup as well since the PC XM tuner is >$50 and the Sony tuners are going for over $200. The PC XM and Nav will be controlled by my Lilliput touchscreen, rather than the HU.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:20 PM
gringott

Default Got my wife's camera so here are some pics

of the Japanese Double din frame installed. Face clossed.
Attached Thumbnails Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan-face-resize-1.jpg  
Old 06-27-2004, 04:22 PM
gringott

Default And here it is

with the face open.
Attached Thumbnails Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan-face-resize-2.jpg  
Old 06-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Gurp

Nice....what do we need to add to this deck to make the XM radio work?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:44 AM
gringott

Default You need the

SONY XT-XM1 and a dual output XM antenna or a single output anntenna and an adapter. A superwalmart by me has the antennas (TERK dual output) (discontinued) for about $45, and I got my XT-XM1 from Circuit City for $169 (discontinued by Sony). If you want the XT-XM1, check ebay or go to a ciruit city and have them look it up on the computer, it will tell them which store still has them, if any.
Attached Thumbnails Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan-xtxm1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dash kit for Sony 7700 head unit from Japan