Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

I broke down and got a new stereo for my ZR enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:02 PM
jrofman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I broke down and got a new stereo for my ZR enthusiast

Got it from the Good Guys and I think they gave me a discount.

Infinity 6.5s up front with dynamat in doors
Infinity 10in woofer
Eclipse 4 channel amp powering the woofer and the fronts
Eclipse AVN-2454

All I can say is that for the price, it better sound better.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Bertg

Please post pix of your install. Which Good Guys did you go to, and how much did you spend, if you don't mind me asking? How's the quality of their installation services?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
jrofman

I had to special order the Eclipse head unit. They gave me everything including install at 3550. I think they are overcharging me for installation tho, since they said the head unit is multiple pieces. I will have to discuss it with them before they do it when all the pieces are in.

Anyone out there who has the eclipse avn2454 know how many pieces come in the box? Is there another unit in it that is separate?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:47 PM
nissan_fanatic

Originally posted by jrofman
I had to special order the Eclipse head unit. They gave me everything including install at 3550. I think they are overcharging me for installation tho, since they said the head unit is multiple pieces. I will have to discuss it with them before they do it when all the pieces are in.

Anyone out there who has the eclipse avn2454 know how many pieces come in the box? Is there another unit in it that is separate?
How much are they charging you for the install of everything, that grand total seems a little high.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:58 AM
jrofman

Install is like 550 for the labor. Most of it is in the head unit which i am going to talk to them about since they said the head unit requires multiple hidden pieces but I didn't think so thats why I am trying to figure out what comes in teh box.

Originally posted by nissan_fanatic
How much are they charging you for the install of everything, that grand total seems a little high.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:36 AM
ranger5oh

$550 for the install? That is ludicrous. It should be much less than that if you ask me. Are you not a DIYer? Stereo's are really easy to install, and for the $550 you save you could put in all new speakers.

Since you are only getting new fronts, your stereo is probably going to **** you off since it will be uneven. Basically what I have found is that you need to upgrade EVERYTHING, or nothing at all.

Anyone else feel this same way?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:59 AM
jrofman

I have a roadster and thats why i decided not to do the rear install. I don't hear them as it is since I have them turned down.

I decided not to do the install myself because of the AMP wiring. Plus I am not sure I know how to install a NAV system.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:21 AM
FB-350

I recently got quote from a respectable local shop for $2300...
inlcuded in that number were new separates for the front and coaxial for the rears (all mBquart), 1 JL audio 10" in the stock location with custom enclosure etc... and 2 JL audio amps... I chose to keep the stock head unit as well... I don't remember model #'s for any of the equipment, but it was pretty close to top of the line.... my guess is if you add another $700 or so for a new head unit, you'd still be below you're estimate of $3500 jrofman... so go back there and beat them up a bit....
Old 04-15-2004, 06:31 AM
jrofman

Originally posted by FB-350
I recently got quote from a respectable local shop for $2300...
inlcuded in that number were new separates for the front and coaxial for the rears (all mBquart), 1 JL audio 10" in the stock location with custom enclosure etc... and 2 JL audio amps... I chose to keep the stock head unit as well... I don't remember model #'s for any of the equipment, but it was pretty close to top of the line.... my guess is if you add another $700 or so for a new head unit, you'd still be below you're estimate of $3500 jrofman... so go back there and beat them up a bit....
I don't know if anyone realizes this, but the head unit, at cheapest on ebay or anywhere else is still over 2 grand.

Without my head unit and install price, the cost was like 950.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:35 AM
FB-350

I don't know if anyone realizes this, but the head unit, at cheapest on ebay or anywhere else is still over 2 grand.

Without my head unit and install price, the cost was like 950.
yea, then that is probably where the bulk of your cost is... especially if they are special ordering it...
Old 04-15-2004, 05:24 PM
nissan_fanatic

Install is like 550 for the labor. Most of it is in the head unit which i am going to talk to them about since they said the head unit requires multiple hidden pieces but I didn't think so thats why I am trying to figure out what comes in teh box.
Are they building you are custom box for $550 or what is the speaker going in, the stock location?

As for the front and rear, the sound stage is a little off on the Z, a great pair componets in the front and I am not even installing anything in the rear, you won't need that blasting right in your ear. Boston Pro Series 6.5 is biampable, so I can run my JL 300/4 to the components and not even install anything in the rear. This was a suggestion from a really reputable installer that does great work.

Yes you are putting in a really expensive HU which is over 1/2 your total cost, I think what everyone is getting at here is (at least me anyway), you could do a heck of a lot more with $3500 than what your getting, sure the HU won't be a sweet but your speakers sure would sound a hella of a lot better and you will still be able to play DVD's. Here is a great quote I read one time, "Bass is like a drug, no matter how much you have you always want more". You are going to be left wanting more bass, especially if they install that sub in the stock location, trust me.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:52 PM
jrofman

I have no interest in car-rattling base. I am sure I will be totally happy with what I am getting. The head unit however should be great. There aren't any other double-din HU's in the US with built in navigation, and the only other decent one is at least 5 hundred more that my comparable unit with nav.

Originally posted by nissan_fanatic
Are they building you are custom box for $550 or what is the speaker going in, the stock location?

As for the front and rear, the sound stage is a little off on the Z, a great pair componets in the front and I am not even installing anything in the rear, you won't need that blasting right in your ear. Boston Pro Series 6.5 is biampable, so I can run my JL 300/4 to the components and not even install anything in the rear. This was a suggestion from a really reputable installer that does great work.

Yes you are putting in a really expensive HU which is over 1/2 your total cost, I think what everyone is getting at here is (at least me anyway), you could do a heck of a lot more with $3500 than what your getting, sure the HU won't be a sweet but your speakers sure would sound a hella of a lot better and you will still be able to play DVD's. Here is a great quote I read one time, "Bass is like a drug, no matter how much you have you always want more". You are going to be left wanting more bass, especially if they install that sub in the stock location, trust me.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Dream2Reality

I would definetly go without rear speakers. Basically, if you replace the rears w/ regular 4 ohm speakers, they're all you'll hear, since they're RIGHT behind your head. You might as well not even have front speakers. There's a reason the stockers behind the headrest are like 32 ohm or something crazy; higher impedence means less power. You won't even miss not having the rears.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:52 PM
ecnal123

Go check out the new kenwood ddx-7015. Its a double din, plays dvds,cds,mp3s. This is what im planning on getting. Sure it doesnt have nav integrated into it but later on down the road if you feel like you NEED a nav then you can buy the kenwood one or any other aftermarket nav to hook up with.(not to mention the quality of the navigation would prolly be better than the integrated one in the eclipse...but then again i havent looked too much into the eclispe because of its hefty price tag)
Old 04-16-2004, 05:16 PM
jrofman

Getting the kenwood double din and then the additional nav system is more expensive than the eclipse system together. In addition the eclipse is just plain and simple a better unit. But I will let you know when it is installed tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Dream2Reality

Eclipse will sound way better than the kenwood.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:03 PM
350zRat

post pics when its installed. i just found out about the eclipse and i have been looking for a double din.