Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

my JL amp overheating??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:23 PM
sicilianoNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my JL amp overheating??

So i have a JL 300/2 amp wedged underneath my glove compartment, under the false floor and facing up. Anyways i noticed that after an hour of playing stuff really loud today (and it was almost 90 today in atlanta) that the highs didnt seem that high anymore, like faintly i could tell that they became a bit lower. When i turned it down for 10 secs then turn it back up they would be high again but eventually go back down a lil. When i parked the car i realized the amp is really hot, like you can't put your hand on the amp for more than 4-5 seconds without it almost hurting. Obviously the ventilation isnt very good here btu ive had this amp since late october and it has never done this before. It isn't like the amp is cutting off or anything it just seems the highs arent as high when it gets real hot. ANything I can do about the overheating? There is very little room in that under the glove compartment area and I would like to keep the amp there, but I dunno......advice? Any of you guuyys have any JL amp probs like this?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:54 AM
TreyBone

??????? Once you close up the fake bottom on in glove box, there is zero ventilation in that compartment. It is not the fact that there is some room around the amp in that compartment. When that compartment is closed the air doesn't move. (no ventilation) I would never consider placing and amp in there unless the glove box door was removed so that it can ventilate.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

The problem is your amp doesn't have any cooling fans to at least push the hot air out. Most likely your amp has some type of thermal shutdown if it gets hot so it starts playing lower and lower. Try getting two fans to push/pull air across the amp to cool it better. There's enough room in that area to at least keep air fresher.

I've got my xtant x603 (Way bigger amp with way more power) stuff in a smaller area (in sparetire floorboard) and have zero problems with it heating up (it has an induction cooling fan on it). You should be able to use a couple computer fans and hook them up to your remote line and ground line at the amp .
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 AM
sicilianoNYC

hey LS350z u got pics of the amp setup with the fans, i wanna see how you did it?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:57 PM
MonkeyBoy

The JL Audio amps have a yellow LED indicator specifying when they are overheating. And yes, when they overheat, they attenuate the signals.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:40 PM
sicilianoNYC

so would putting a fan or 2 in that under glove compartment area where the jl amp is located help???
Old 04-25-2004, 09:43 AM
sicilianoNYC

I changed up my configuration. First off I bought a 4.5" x 4.5" computer fan at circuit city. Then I took out the amp from under the floorboard of the glove compartment and cut a hole in the middle of that board of the size of the fan. I then put a 1/4 inch spacer in between the amp and the floorboard, and mounted the amp to the floorboard with the fan mounted on the underside of the floorboard with the fan pointing up at the bottom of the amp. I wired the fan into the remote and ground of the amp and now the amp seems a bit cooler and there is more room now for the amp to breathe since it has the whole glove compartment area to breathe. pics will come later, anyone else done something like this?