Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My entertainment plan

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I plan on putting one sub centered in between the strut bar and compartments behind the seats and put plexiglass over it so it doesn't get broken on accident (the pc and anything else permanent will be mounted there). I'll put the amp(s) under the false floor behind the passenger seat. Although it will be a pain to get to the pc and ps2, I don't want to lose the room in the glovebox. I'm going to go to the Import Life in Jacksonville on July 10th to check out some audio systems with my brother, should be cool. BTW, anyone know if a 19" rim and tire will fit in the spare tire location?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:13 AM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd agree with everything MSGarrett1 says. I've always found his posts here to be well informed. If you really want to visit a forum where folks spend more on car audio than on their cars, visit:

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com

You'll often find lots of brand loyalty there, but you'll also find lots of people discussing lots of high quality audio equipment and their thoughts on it.

In my last 3 cars, I've used Dynaudio component sets. They have always been fantastic for my particular taste in music and sound. Given you install the midbass drivers properly, they have fantastic midbass response, which I've always found to be a real problem area in cars. I currently have a set of Dynaudio 240mkII components in the Z. They aren't exactly 6.5" (Dynaudio actually lists them as 7"), but a professional installer shouldn't have a problem making them work.

Additionally, if your installer covers your door in sound deadening material, you can actually get a pretty decently sealed door. With my Dyns in my Z, I get fantastic low frequency response out of them. It was so good, in fact, that we ended up doing the high-pass at 63 Hz for the Dyns. Without a sub, I could run them full range no problems. Fantastic.

Good speakers you might want to look into:

Dynaudio
CD Tech
Rainbow ($$)
Morel
Seas

As far as amplifiers, you might want to consider some of the high end brands rather than those you listed. If money is indeed not a problem, check out these amplifier brands:

TRU Technology ($$)
Zapco ($$)

Zapco amps are very nice and are often easily found at high end car audio shops. I've found they are often more obtainable than the others.

For head units, look into:

Alpine ($)
Eclipse ($$)
Denon ($$$)

I have the new Alpine 9835, and it's completely fantastic. I previously had the 9815, and it is functionally identical. However, the 9835 display is by far the best looking I've ever seen. These top end Alpines and the top end Eclipses have fairly extensive signal processing built into them. This allows you a lot of tuning capability without having to use external units of any sort.

As MSGarrett1 mentioned earlier, speaker placement is critical. However, if you just don't want to do kickpanels (I personally didn't want them down in the way of my foot), you can mount the tweets up in the a-pillar (like the stock tweets), and use the time alignment features of the signal processors to help fix the imaging. It helped my imaging *tremendously*.

My current system is described on my website (follow the links in my sig), but here's the gyst:

Alpine 9835
TRU Technology amps (100Wx2 each)
Dynaudio 240mkII components
Elemental Designs e10o sub (10")

Absolutely fantastic sound. Best sounding car audio system I've ever owned. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for all the help guys, I will find out what sounds the best to me at that audio show.