Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Soon to be installed...Tips, Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Coach_Rose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be installed...Tips, Opinions

I'm planning to install the following myself. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Alpine CDA 7998
Alpine MRP-T220 (matched the RMS wattage for the speakers)
Alpine SPR-176A (fronts only)
Alpine MRD-M300 (300 watts at 2ohms RMS)
Alpine Type R 10" in custom enclosure under strut brace
-sub has dual 4ohm voice coils wired to make a 2ohm load on amp

I plan to put the amps side by side in the glove box and hide the wires underneath.

Where is the best place to ground the amps? I have read they should be grounded together and the power wire should be run away from the RCA cables and speaker wires.

I plan to run new speaker wire to the front, what size should I use?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-25-2004, 04:16 PM
AParshall04

personally i think the best place to ground if youre using the glove box is on the huge bolt that is attached to the frame underneath the plastic in the middle of the glove box and stock sub enclosure - just screw it off, slip the ground wire in there and screw it back in.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:20 AM
motown

That's a great tip AParshall04, I'll have to use that. Coach_Rose, I'm planning on putting my amps in the stock sub location. That way, I still have my glove box available for storage. Just a thought. Kudos on the head-unit selection, by the way! Post some pix of the installed unit when it's done, I'd love to see them. Personally, it'll be a while before I get mine in. I HATE the metra kit's fitment. I'm gonna kai-bosh that into something that's hopefully much more appealing in look. I'll definitely post pix when I've finished. Regards to speaker wire, I'm running 12 awg to my x-overs and 14 awg from there to the speakers. I'm not mounting my x-overs in the doors, nor would I recommend that anyone else do for that matter, so I'll have 2 14 awg wires running into each door. What kind of speakers are you using in front? Seriously, the 14awg is probably overkill. I'm sure 16 awg is just fine, frankly. Have you checked out the 'How-to' section? There are loads of posts I would definitely check out. Not knowing your level of experience in doing your own installs, I might recommend the 'how to run power wire through the fire wall' thread, the 'how to run speaker wires into the doors' thread and the 'how to take apart the dash' thread. Good luck on the install! Looks like a rockin' system.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Coach_Rose

I had thought about not putting the crossovers in the doors. Where would be a good place? I have the spr-176a's for the front; no rear speakers.

I have also changed my mind about the amp location. It has changed to the stock sub area. What do I have to do to remove the metal mount for the blose sub? Will I have to remove the entire plastic cover for the rear?

I have already printed all the "how to" sheets for reference during the install.

The 7998 couldn't be passed up at its current price. I'll add the xm tuner (whoever makes it now that alpine doesn't) when they come out with the next generation, for now I'm just stuck using the aux in and my current XM.

I may start this weekend with the install, so any additional hints or tips are greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 AM
motown

Hey Bob,

I would put the x-overs close to your amp. I'm putting my x-overs as close to my amps as I can get 'em. This is just to minimise the amount of 12awg I have to use, since it's three times the price of 14awg. Go figure. Really, it's down to economics. If you're not going to mount them close to the amp, probably the next best place is close to either kick panel. They don't have to be mounted together, so one on each side's your best bet. Either under the kick if they fit or wire-tied under the dash. Either should work fine. The stock sub plate should just unscrew. Think there's like 4 bolts holding it on. Just pops right out. 'Fraid I'm not following what plastic cover you're talking about, by the way. If you're talking about the cover that goes over the stock sub, that pops out pretty easily as well. Even with the blose bracket out, pops right back in too. Yeah, 7998's a great deal right now. Same reason I bought it. I'm actually an avid Kenwood fan, but for the price, you can't beet the 7998. Again, good luck on the install!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:37 AM
Coach_Rose

I was talking about the entire panel that covers the sub/glove box area. Not the doors or covers, but the outer frame. I'll look at it tonight when I start pulling panels.

I think I'm going to place the cross-overs on the same rack that I build for the amps. If I can pull the blose sub panel frame out, then I'll have plenty of room to work in the space behind it.

I pulled the sub out two weeks ago after I built my sub box, what a piece of crap. I still don't see how it works as well as it does being so light and all. I tapped in to see if it would push the Type R just a little, but it was barely able to make it vibrate.

Where are the blose amps located? That way I can pull them out after I install the new system. I wouldn't want them to somehow rub off on quality components.

It begins tonight. I plan to take pictures along the way, just for kicks.
Bob