Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

All of you pro audio tuners... your advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 06:51 AM
broohaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All of you pro audio tuners... your advice please

Ok, so I finally finished my install, and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I'm pretty sure that I don't have it sounding as good as it could.

I'm pretty much a noob to all of this, and I was hoping one of the gurus out there could provide some advice on how to tweak all of my settings.

Alpine 9831 HU:
LPF 80HZ and lower (I'm assuming this defines what goes out the subwoofer RCA outputs)
HPF 80HZ and higher (and that this goes out to the regular speakers)

Basslink: (Freq. resp = 20-100Hz)
Crossover is set around 90Hz or so

Kappa Perfects 6.1: (Frew. resp = 75Hz - 23kHz)
Crossover jumper for the tweeter is set at -3db (they're still pretty bright)

US Acoustics 2100 amp: (Freq. resp = 10Hz - 30kHz)
This is where I'm confused - It has a switch for Flat/LP-HP/HP-LP. I'm assuming Flat is a 'default' setting. But I'm not sure how the other modes work, or how I should have it set. This amp is to power the Kappas. Right now, I have it set to HP-LP, with the LP dial set to about 80. Where should the HP be set?

A brief tutorial on LP/HP would be nice and how the 3 modes interact with these adjustments. (In case you're interested, here's the location of the manual to see the control set: http://www.usacoustics.com/current/index.html) I've attached an image of the controls that I have.

Bottom line is that I feel like the mid range is lacking, and I've heard of that from other folks on this board. They've said that it can take a couple months for the speakers to break in for full mid-bass response.

Any suggestions on how to set up all the various HP/LP settings? Should the Amp/Basslink overlap on the frequencies? And should I just turn off the HPF/LPF at the HU? I realize that this is somewhat of an impossible question, but general guidelines on tuning would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails All of you pro audio tuners... your advice please-amp.jpg  
Old 06-07-2004, 04:13 PM
dczoner

Well, you've put a lot of detail in your post, so hopefully I can answer some of these things for you.

Basically the LP/HP is Low Pass & High Pass. These will divide your sound for you. You kappa's may claim to run 75hz but that is with significant rolloff. I would suggest running your main x-over @ around 100hz (ie send anything under 100hz to your sub, anything over to your mains). Also, you haven't described what sort of sub setup you're running, which is a huge component of the issue.

Also, what type of music do you want to sound best? If you listen to rock, you want to push more mids through your speakers. If you listen to hip hop, you actually want to trim down your mids a little because otherwise you'll get an overlap effect between your mains and your sub(s).

Honestly, every ear is different and every preference is different. I prefer as neutral as possible, with a tendancy towards bass.

On your amp shown in the picture, if thats for your main speakers, set it to highpass. then I would set the highpass level pointing at about 280-290 degrees (probably about 100-150hz). Give that a shot. Also I don't recommend using "bass boosters" they just muddy up your signal.

Good luck, hope it helps. . .
Old 06-07-2004, 05:54 PM
broohaha

Thankfully someone answered my post. I was beginning to wonder if it was such a stupid question, that no one wanted to bother.

As far as my subwoofer, I briefly mention that it's an Infinity Basslink, self amplified.

My biggest confusion with the amp was how to use both the high and low pass *****. So if I understand it right, with the switch in the middle (High pass for the amp) only the high pass **** has any effect. (Vice versa for setting it to the far left - low pass on the amp - if I was powering a sub.) That finally makes sense. Kinda obvious, now that I'm in the know...

Thanks for the valuable info!!!!

Just in case someone else is reading this: Does it make sense just to leave the sub and amp wide open (or flat) and just set the cross overs on the HU? I can basically set high and low passovers at 80, 100, 120, 160 HZ. So in this case: set both the high and low passes to 100. That way I have absolutely no overlap between the sub and HU.... Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
bastard

I have the crossover on the HU set at 100 Hz high and low pass and my amp has it disabled. This is fine. I would think stacking crossover filters would be a little weird, might result in undesirable cut-off points and mess up the transitions between speakers.

100Hz is a little higher than I'd like (I prefer 80) but with my setup, the 100Hz sounds a lot better in the 350z to my ear.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 PM
jeffa

I would set your amp to full range, turn off the amps crossovers. Use the crossovers in the HU

80Hz and up is just fine for the Kappa's. 80Hz and down is good for the sub. You don't want more than 100Hz to the sub, otherwise the low frequencies become localized, and the overall sound quality will become muddy and indistinct.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:29 AM
broohaha

Cool. Thanks a lot everyone. Now all I have to do is wait for these damn Kapas to break in...