Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

? Infinity vs. JL Audio component speakers ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:24 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ? Infinity vs. JL Audio component speakers ?

I've had the Infinity Perfect 6.1's in my car since last December, getting juice from a JL Audio 300/2. They sounded sweet, but recently one of the tweeters got messed up and sounds like crap when i turn up the volume. Since i bought them from sounddomain i was thinking i would just send them back and have it replaced. My only problem with this is I know it'll take forever to send it in and recieve it back and for this amount of time i'll be musicless.

Now here comes the question...I now have a job at a car audio shop for the summer and can basically get sweet deals on JL products. So i was thinking of just replacing the Infinity Perfects with the JL Audio ZR component speakers. The only thing is i haven't heard the JL's yet.

So has anyone heard them and how do the Perfects compare to the ZR's?

Another thing is the only reason i can think of why the tweeter would be messed up so fast is i was supplying the componenets with too much power. RMS is 100wats and the 300/2 was giving 150RMS. I had the gain all the way down on the amp. Do you think this would be fine and maybe the tweeter just sucks so it broke, or should i add some rear speakers to split the power from the front?

thanks all-
Rajiv
Old 07-08-2004, 04:49 PM
GQ 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whassup Rajiv:

I'm working at a car audio shop this summer too. I assume you're getting the zr's for accomodation? Most of the places I know are getting them later this month. I believe the Infiinty's have a smoother soudnd because of the silk dome tweeter. The Zr's are suppossed to be pretty amazing, but just to let you know, most of the JL component line is overpriced--for instance the MB Quart Reference series (RCE216) sound better than the xr650's to me; and they are like $80 cheaper..

I was also going to hold out on the Zr650's, but not till I hear them. Other choices I think are the Focal Utopias, QSD216's by MB Quart or the ZR's.

The XR series is a definite step down imo from the perfects, but the ZRs just may be amazing. Wait a week or two and your shop should have them.

As far as the amp goes, all JL products have conservative advertised power handling limits. Should be fine with the 300/2. Did you have any subs in there before? What are your opinions? I kinda want to go with the 10w7 myself also. Let me know.

Regards:

Ravi Mohan
Old 07-08-2004, 05:14 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 2 10W3v2's that i just took out and sold. I'm now going with at least 1 10W7 (already sitting in the shop) but i'm thinking 2 might be even better

I need to decide what to do with my components now though

thanks for the advice.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:57 AM
andyisphat2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading about JL components somewhere here and what i got from the post was use JL for what they are best, bass. As far as components, there are better brands out there. As far as going with a 10w7, put 2 of them in. I originally went with one and felt that it wasnt enough. If you are dropping money on the install anyways, what is 1 more w7 going to cost, especially since you get them discounted. Think of it like girls, would you like to have a plethora of them, in case some night you are feeling frisky, or would you rather just have one that is satisfying but sometimes leaves you wanting more.