Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Having a problem with Component Mounting Depth

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 11:57 AM
neur0sis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a problem with Component Mounting Depth

Hi all...

So, I am in the market for a new component set up front, and am running into a wall.

Originally, I tried to install a set of Alpine SPR-176A 6.5" comps, and they seemed to be too DEEP, and hit the window. I am using the stock Clarion baskets as spacers.

I settled for a quick fix with these Infinity Reference 6.5" components, that had a mount depth of 2.25". They seemed to fit fine.

Now, shopping for new speakers with a little more depth, and not as harsh as the Infinity ... I can't seem to see how all of you are installing these speakers you reccomend.

I have looked at Diamond Audio, Focal, CDT, etc... and they all seem to be almost 3" in depth, and they would definatly hit my window.

Any suggestions? Custom spacer? Anyone have pics of their install?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:33 PM
EddieJr

I've got Alpine SPX-177a comps in my doors with no problem. I purchased spacers from a local car audio shop, for $10.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:37 PM
neur0sis

How did you get them to fit without hitting the window? I had some 1" spacers that I tried (as well as the Clarion baskets as spacers) and if they fit in the original spot, the magnet assembly on the midrange woofer hit the bottom corner of the window.

As it is, when I put the door panel back on, it almost TOUCHES the surround on the speaker itself thats in there now (Infinity Reference).

See why I am confused? What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Barzten1

I was wondering the same thing. I got Diamond Audio Hex's to fit but I think they are harsh for a high end comp. I want Focals & I've seen other Z owners have them on their equip list. How did you get them to fit?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Zrated

CDT's and focals are pretty deep too. The basket is very large on the CDT's and will not fit in the ID of a 6.5" spacer.

The only thing you can do if the speaker is to deep and hitting the window is space it out more with MDF, or try to offset it a bit in the hole.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:48 AM
fillup

I originally mounted a pair of cdt's in the factory locations, using the stock clarions as spacers. They fit very well and the only modification I had to do was use rope glazing between the speaker and the door. The glazing gave me about 1/4" of extra depth and allowed the speakers to be positioned better.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:47 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I know my Boston Pros fit in the stock clarion baskets and cleared the window fine but with some inspection I found that at full excursion on the woofer they hit the door panel speaker grill.

I made some mdf trim rings (2 peices of 1/2 mounted together) and moved the woofers upward and forward so they wouldn't hit the grill. I also have drilled all my holes out on the backside of the grill.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:13 PM
EddieJr

I shifted the speaker around in the opening a bit till it cleared. I like fillup 's idea on the rope glazing to tilt the woofer up a bit for better midbass. Gonna try that over the weekend.........
Old 07-22-2004, 12:37 PM
neur0sis

I guess I might have to go the custom MDF spacer route... Since the stock clarion basket as a spacer has set mounting holes. There aren't many other ways to mount it.

After I move, I'll have a small woodshop to work in, so I should be able to make something work. If I widen the stock hole a little bit, and move the spacer up and closer to the door hinge, I shouldn't have to worry about depth at all.