Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HELP! OEM Sat Radio antenna location

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:54 AM
lawnmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! OEM Sat Radio antenna location

Has any one relocated, modified or replaced with after market, their OEM satellite radio antenna location? I understand all 04 Touring, Boze equipped,Z's are prewired for the OEM setellite tunner. I would like to take advantage of this EZ install but the antenna location is unacceptable to me. The tunner is a simple plug and play through the stock radio harness located in the right rear of the car,but I need a better option for an antenna/reception location, either stock or aftermarker. And does anyone know if any aftermarket antenna will work with the stock tunner unit?
Old 07-24-2004, 11:58 AM
BLACKZTRACK

I put mine here
Attached Thumbnails HELP! OEM Sat Radio antenna location-picture-106.jpg  
Old 07-24-2004, 12:04 PM
lawnmore

Default Dont see a Boze HU

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BLACKZTRACK
I put mine here [/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply,but I dont see a Boze HU and thats what I have to interface with.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:00 PM
BLACKZTRACK

Default Re: Dont see a Boze HU

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lawnmore
Originally posted by BLACKZTRACK
I put mine here [/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply,but I dont see a Boze HU and thats what I have to interface with.
If you are talking sat.radio (XM,SIRIUS) it does not matter what h/u it is as long as the unit will support sat. radio.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 PM
2003z

I haven't finished wiring mine yet, but I just mounted the antenna in the hole I had plugged when I shaved the rear wiper and spray nozzle. looks pretty good, imho. The wires go through the hole in the glass.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! OEM Sat Radio antenna location-antenna-small-.jpg  
Old 07-25-2004, 10:22 AM
hurahn

Ihave my sirius running off a small xm antenna in the third brake light assembly.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:00 PM
lawnmore

Default Wireing

Originally posted by 2003z
I haven't finished wiring mine yet, but I just mounted the antenna in the hole I had plugged when I shaved the rear wiper and spray nozzle. looks pretty good, imho. The wires go through the hole in the glass.
Please post pictures of your complete hookup Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 04:20 AM
Zracer03

Put it on the strut bar in the back UNDER the plastic trim on top. The black plastic trim on each side of the silver Z will pop off and the small antennas will fit right under so you can snap it back on. The reception is great.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 AM
BLACKZTRACK

Originally posted by Zracer03
Put it on the strut bar in the back UNDER the plastic trim on top. The black plastic trim on each side of the silver Z will pop off and the small antennas will fit right under so you can snap it back on. The reception is great.
With Sirius you cant put the antennae there.I wanted mine there and was told theres no room in there.At least thats what they told me.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 PM
lawnmore

Default Antenna location

I am aware of this location. Do you know if the mini XM antennas will hook up to the stock XM tuner and give acceptable reception. Remember I am trying to add a stock XM tuner to my Stock bose HU.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:08 PM
dczoner

lawnmore, I get what you're saying - first off here's a link for the product: http://www.leeauto.com/parts/350z.html

But if you're talking about splicing the antenna I'm pretty sure you ought to be able to do it just fine. Just get a Terk antenna and splice the wires off it to your OEM sat kit. I've never seen this done however. You might want to ask about it on http://www.xmfan.com

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:51 PM
lawnmore

Default Your Help

Originally posted by dczoner
lawnmore, I get what you're saying - first off here's a link for the product: http://www.leeauto.com/parts/350z.html

But if you're talking about splicing the antenna I'm pretty sure you ought to be able to do it just fine. Just get a Terk antenna and splice the wires off it to your OEM sat kit. I've never seen this done however. You might want to ask about it on http://www.xmfan.com

Good luck!
Thanks for careful reading and the great links and splicing idea !!!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 PM
ddang1

Default Re: Your Help

Originally posted by lawnmore
Thanks for careful reading and the great links and splicing idea !!!
The splicing thing is not recommended even if you get it to work because its not just like vehicle antenna wire which is easily able to splice. the XM antenna is a coaxial and a very small one at that if you try to slice it open you are bound to just snap it. If you can wait till november XM Direct will be out and you can use the universal tuner to hook up to your Bose unit from an adaptor plus you can use Terks mini mirco antenna which is tiny. Gonna cast about $150.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:22 PM
lawnmore

Default Re: Re: Your Help

Originally posted by ddang1
The splicing thing is not recommended even if you get it to work because its not just like vehicle antenna wire which is easily able to splice. the XM antenna is a coaxial and a very small one at that if you try to slice it open you are bound to just snap it. If you can wait till november XM Direct will be out and you can use the universal tuner to hook up to your Bose unit from an adaptor plus you can use Terks mini mirco antenna which is tiny. Gonna cast about $150.
ddang1; Yes I can wait until Nov.,however you have peeked my curiosity, where can I get further info on this idea ? Thats the exact antenna I was hoping to use. Thank you for your thoughtful reply!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Zracer03

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Sirius you cant put the antennae there.I wanted mine there and was told theres no room in there.At least thats what they told me.
I have Sirius, and I had it there. So they lied to you I have the kenwood sr-22 antenna I believe. Works fine for me.