Alpine CDA 9833
JL 10 W7
JL 500/1

all I need now is speakers

I was thinking MB Quart PCE 216

or

Boston acoustics Pro60

and JL 300/4

what do you think? Is there any other speakers that are good?
Old 09-14-2004 | 09:54 PM
stu46

I'd go with BA Pro. I've heard their new ones and they sound really good.
Old 09-15-2004 | 01:03 AM
OgreDave

So many options, so lil time

Boston Pro's are great, some say they're bright.
Focal Utopias are the same comments .. and cost even more
DynAudio gets awesome reviews too, but more natural, laid back sounding.
DLS Iridiums -- same, natural/laid back.
CDT HD/Eurosports -- Similar reviews to the DLS/Dyn, cheaper price. [I can point you to a dealer w/great prices on the CDT line]

Out of the above I've heard the Focal & the Bostons & some kinda MB Q's. I thought the MB's were a lil bright, but the crossover should have controls, and I'm not sure how it was setup. I had the CDT CL 3ways but when I got the Utopias ... ok the CDT's had to go.

I'm not a fan of JL, so I'm gonna guess your amp does 75x4 @ 4ohms. Honestly, 75w is not a lot of power for anything mentioned in my post. Everything mentioned, especially the Boston's, loves power. (Hell they're even 3ohm to pull more juice)

If you're intent on using that amp, and all 4 speakers .. might want to go with something more around the 50-75w level. IIRC that's something more like Boston Rally, Infinity Kappas, or CDT CL's.

If you're really looking for 'better' speakers .. consider a more powerful amp. JL amps are overpriced .. not saying theyre bad quality, just that the value is totally lacking.

Also note that SQ is all up to the listener. Some ppl like distortion, are used to it, and prefer it. Buy what you like.
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:58 AM
got turbo?

Thanks OgreDave, I don't know much about car audio.

How about 300/2 to each pair, am going with Focal Utopia 165W

The amp is rated (stereo): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (bridged):300 W RMS x 1 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm

Thank you for helping me out

Last edited by got turbo?; 09-15-2004 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2004 | 12:25 PM
stu46

check out Xtant 1.1 for your components. I'm running them to my Boston Acoustics Z6. even to the stock speakers, they made a huge difference. the only bad thing is they don't have a crossover, you need a hu that has one. by far the best amp i've heard.
Old 09-16-2004 | 02:55 AM
OgreDave

Originally posted by got turbo?
Thanks OgreDave, I don't know much about car audio.

How about 300/2 to each pair, am going with Focal Utopia 165W

The amp is rated (stereo): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (bridged):300 W RMS x 1 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm

Thank you for helping me out
I'm givin my 165W's 200w each @ 4ohm.

Please ask your JL dealer to explain that rating to me .. that is confusing as hell .. 150w at all ohm ratings 1.5 to 4? [edit typo]

I think 150w would be decent .. just depends on person using, really. Personally I prefer to have the extra power & just keep the gains lower.

Are you going JL just to have matching amps? Just curious.

BTW, much much much more info at carsound.com forums, or forum.sounddomain.com .. take a browse & see what others say ..

Last edited by OgreDave; 09-16-2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2004 | 03:30 AM
the7ferret

if your gonna buy the MB quart premium spend a little more on the Morel, much better quality and much better sound.
Old 09-16-2004 | 07:46 AM
got turbo?

Originally posted by OgreDave
I'm givin my 165W's 200w each @ 4ohm.

Please ask your JL dealer to explain that rating to me .. that is confusing as hell .. 150w at all ohm ratings 1.5 to 4? [edit typo]

I think 150w would be decent .. just depends on person using, really. Personally I prefer to have the extra power & just keep the gains lower.

Are you going JL just to have matching amps? Just curious.

BTW, much much much more info at carsound.com forums, or forum.sounddomain.com .. take a browse & see what others say ..
What do you mean by I'm givin my 165W's 200w each @ 4ohm. Are selling them?

I found those rating on their website.

No am not going for matching amps, just that I get good deals on JL stuffs. But if there is another suitable amp, please tell me.

Thanks again

Edit: I just found this amp, is Boss a good car audio company, cause I haven't heard of them before

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BOSC700

Last edited by got turbo?; 09-16-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2004 | 12:30 AM
OgreDave

Originally posted by got turbo?
What do you mean by I'm givin my 165W's 200w each @ 4ohm. Are selling them?

I found those rating on their website.

No am not going for matching amps, just that I get good deals on JL stuffs. But if there is another suitable amp, please tell me.

Thanks again

Edit: I just found this amp, is Boss a good car audio company, cause I haven't heard of them before

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BOSC700
No, Boss is generally not a good car audio company. There was one of their amps that had the same internals as a Lanzar Vibe1200D, and that was a great deal both ways.

I meant I'm giving my Focal Utopia 165W's 200 watt per side. I am not looking to sell my amp [edit typo grr]

If you get good prices on JL, I think you should get awesome JL warranty service as well right? Might wanna factor that in .. warranty & service for stuff can come in handy, vs buying via mail or online. There are tons of amps that are suitable, but you should really choose the speaker system before you choose the amp.

Assuming you go w/the 300/2 JL, I'd consider going with CDT HD62's for 2way & CDT HD642's for 3way. They want about 180watts per side, and you're close enough. They're pretty good midbass wise & not as bright as other speakers. They're generally more affordable than the rest of the speaker systems I mentioned as well, when compared NEW & AUTHORIZED. Bostons are $$$ when bought from an authorized dealer, same w/ Focal, DynAudio, or DLS. If you're willing to go used, then you could pay a little over the HD line (new) for some Focal/Dyn/DLS (good luck getting DLS) used .. Boston Pro's cost the same non-auth'd via eBay (~300-330 + s/h, new) as the CDT HD62's. (300 shipped right now) Just some numbers for you to consider.

You could also go mid-level DLS/Focal .. I'm not very informed when it comes to Dyn's lineup. Focal KP's are preferred by some over the Utopia (more expensive/higher end) setup .. mainly the bright tweeter, IIRC. (negative attenuation on my crossover ) Then there's also DLS Reference .. lots of choices

If you really want to step all the way up to the higher end level, you won't be using that JL amp .. probably something tube'd or by TRU (or Brax, Sinfoni, Audison, blah blah bling bling outta my range) .. and then it'd be basically listener preference .. relaxed vs more live/loud type sound, on or off axis mounting.

Again .. best thing to do is read a lot of opinions & make your decision .. forum.sounddomain.com is currently loving CDT components .. RE / RE XXX comps are nice too, but mounting depth might be a challenge there.