Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Purchasing OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Deceit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing OEM nav

Hey guys,

Did a search, but I couldn't find any conclusive answers. Was just curious where I could buy the OEM Nav package for Z's without the Nav installed. I'd assume there would be some suppliers online that would sell it under retail price.

Shane
Old 09-24-2004, 12:52 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd need a new wiring harness and other components that would cost over $4,000. Then you can only play Navigation disc DVDs. You can buy an aftermarket 7" LCD that fits perfectly and a modded Xbox for under $500. It'll let you play mp3s, dvds, games, etc.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Deceit

4 grand !!!

Wow, I knew from the dealer the package was about 2g's, but 4!? Jeez. I thought for the most part it'd be plug-n-play and a little modding here and there
Old 09-24-2004, 01:16 PM
NismoKid

Plug and play? No way. You'll have to do a lot of wiring. And I think it's pointless because it'll only offer a Navigation feature. You can get a Pioneer Avic-N1 that has that, Mp3, dvd, and OBD II info. I know you probably prefer the stock look (as do I), but there are other options.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:23 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your best bet to keep the stock look would be to get a 7 inch monitor for the nav compartment and either an in car computer or xbox modded to be used as a computer. that will allow you to use navigation + so many things that the stock nav can't do. and it is a much cheaper and easier to install option.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Deceit

Yeah, I do prefer the stock look. I only really wanted it for the actual nav anyway. Looks like i'll have to piece together a system
Old 09-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Deceit

Also, will 7" fit no problem, or will I need to (make) a custom enclosure?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
NismoKid

If you have a 2003 (or 2003 cubby), you just have to remove the faceplate off the LCD (depending on which model you buy) and it will fit right into the compartment from behind.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Deceit

Oh Okay.

Reason I ask is because hopefully i'll have my Z soon, and it will most likely (95% sure) it'll be an 03.. and also most likely without a nav.

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking around for some nice cheap high res screens and nav setup
Old 09-27-2004, 02:29 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the farenheit t7001 is supposed to fit perfect and be a nice screen. they are hard to find now though because they aren't made anymore but you should keep your eye out for one.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:30 PM
neil350z

Default Re: Purchasing OEM nav

Another possibility is to get the Pioneer AVIC-N1. It replaces the stock double-DIN HU with a single-DIN (the screen flips out and up when needed) and you get both the top cubby and lower DIN slots for storage. Plus you get NAV, a better radio, etc. They sell for about $1500 on eBay and installation is ~$150-200. It ends up being less obvious and much better than OEM.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:28 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by Deceit
Oh Okay.

Reason I ask is because hopefully i'll have my Z soon, and it will most likely (95% sure) it'll be an 03.. and also most likely without a nav.

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking around for some nice cheap high res screens and nav setup
If you haven't gotten a Z yet, you could find one with the Navigation option installed from the factory, which will save you a lot of money since you only want that feature. Just shop around some more. I know that the majority of Navis went into the Touring model.

If you're getting a Z for sure without navigation. You can get a 7" screen by Lilliput (sp?) off of Ebay for a good price or go the pricey route with Xenarc. Here's a thread about installations: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=cheaper+vga
Old 10-01-2004, 01:16 PM
LOU

Where do you get a modified X-box?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:38 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by LouZer
Where do you get a modified X-box?
Just buy an Xbox and download Avalaunch or XBMC (Xbox Media Center) for free. You have to use a router to do ftp file transferring between the Xbox and your PC. After that, you can play DVDs, MP3s, rip games onto the Xbox, put emulators to play SNES, Genesis, NES games, etc. You don't need to buy a "mod chip" and have someone install it for $80.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:53 AM
zorrocar1

Originally posted by NismoKid
Just buy an Xbox and download Avalaunch or XBMC (Xbox Media Center) for free. You have to use a router to do ftp file transferring between the Xbox and your PC. After that, you can play DVDs, MP3s, rip games onto the Xbox, put emulators to play SNES, Genesis, NES games, etc. You don't need to buy a "mod chip" and have someone install it for $80.

Where do you find the router what is it? Where to you get XBMC or Avalaunch? Thanks for your help
Old 10-03-2004, 12:39 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by zorrocar1
Where do you find the router what is it? Where to you get XBMC or Avalaunch? Thanks for your help
You can get a router from Best Buy, Circuit City, or any place that sells compturer stuff. It's what people use if they're setting up a newtork for computers. It allows multiple computers to use the internet connection.

I'll have to ask my bro about XBMC and Avalaunch since he does all that stuff. He read about it on some Xbox forum and I think got it from there, too.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:43 PM
zorrocar1

Originally posted by NismoKid
You can get a router from Best Buy, Circuit City, or any place that sells compturer stuff. It's what people use if they're setting up a newtork for computers. It allows multiple computers to use the internet connection.

I'll have to ask my bro about XBMC and Avalaunch since he does all that stuff. He read about it on some Xbox forum and I think got it from there, too.
Thanks alot. I would like to do that to my XBOX. Any info would be great. Or if your brother could do it to mine I would be happy to pay him.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:50 PM
NismoKid

Ok, my brother said he got Avalaunch on IRC. From server: irc.efnet.net #xbins He then said "you have to ftp to the ip they give you in the change when you type in a command" (whatever that means, I'm not good with comptuers). I don't know how you'd want him to mod your Xbox unless you ship it and he's in Orlando, FL.

Also, the standard Xbox has an 8 gig hard drive (different drives with the largest being 4 gigs), which isn't much for storing Xbox games. NES, SNES, Genesis games fit easily (10 kb for NES vs. 1-4 gig for Xbox). You can just download games and save them on your comptuer and ftp them when you want to play.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 AM
zorrocar1

Thanks I will give it a shot. If I am not successful I would be willing to ship my XBox. All I would want are the ripping games and dvds. Other than I think I would be set. Do you think he would mod it for me if I sent it to him.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
NismoKid

My brother would charge $50+ for the modding and shipping would tack on even more (+ insurance since you never know what the heck USPS does). I suggest trying it yourself, not only to save money, but you'd also eventually have to buy a router to ftp games and movies to the Xbox (you'll also become familiarized with how to setup games, etc).

The one problem is the stock HD. It's only about 8 gigs, but it has separate drives with the largest being 4 gigs. Xbox games I suggest not saving onto the Xbox since they range from 700mb-4+ gigs (PGR2, which wouldn't fit). NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis all fit easily (emulators and games). If you want to upgrade the HD, I don't know how to do that.

Also, if you have Xbox live, you can't play online with the software modding installed because you'll get banned from Live. With the router, you can send all the info on the Xbox back to your PC and play on Xbox Live. You can save all your games on your PC and send them over whenever you want to play them, too.

Quick Reply: Purchasing OEM nav