Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Stereo install part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:07 AM
FBlade1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo install part 1

Finally got around to putting a system in my Z. I would like to thank InternetABYSS and SkiDaZZle for some great post on overcoming the nav voice issue.

Components install so far:
Alpine 7894
Metra headunit kit
Alpine TUA-T020XM Satellite radio tuner
Terk TRK-SR2 antenna
JL Audio XR650-CS Evolution Separates (front in stock locations)
Keeping stock speakers in the rear
Kicker 02KX5503 Amp
Lots of Dynomat
Eclipse 3" speaker for Nav voice

Next Tues the 21st:
Two JL Audio 10IB4 Subs (freeair)
The subs are being mounted in the stock locations behind the driver and passenger seats. My installer found out that the storage compartment behind the passenger is removable and is identical to the sub compartment behind the driver. All I had to order (from Courtesy Parts) was a two grill covers and 1 extra sub mounting bracket. All the holes are already their for the additional bracket. I will attempt to post a few pictures of the install so far:
Attached Thumbnails Stereo install part 1-backview-1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2003, 07:09 AM
FBlade1

Default Second Pic

Headunit with metra
Attached Thumbnails Stereo install part 1-headunit-1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2003, 07:12 AM
FBlade1

Default Pic

XM Antenna
Attached Thumbnails Stereo install part 1-z-stereo-pics-033.jpg  
Old 01-16-2003, 07:14 AM
FBlade1

Default another headunit shot

second headunit pic
Attached Thumbnails Stereo install part 1-headunit-4.jpg  
Old 01-16-2003, 07:19 AM
FBlade1

Default Part 2 coming soon...

The sound just with the amp, JL seperates and headunit is incredible! I will post more pictures and give a full review of how the subs and completed system sound next Tuesday.

PS: There are some great looking systems being posted on this forum! Keep it up!
Old 01-16-2003, 08:16 AM
DiverDown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to install my system and was planning on putting my XM antenna in the same place you have yours. What is your reception like? Does it fade if you are travelling certain directions?

Thanks,
DD
Old 01-16-2003, 09:33 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question First off, thanks for posting the pics - I have questions.

First off, thanks for posting the pics. Please keep posting them!

Now on to my question.

I ordered a Z and don't have it yet but I am planning the stereo upgrade. I really like the look of the metra head unit you have (that is the black plastic "radio box adapter" right?)

Do you know if Metra has a box to hold a 1.5 DIN or 2 DIN stereo instead of the 1 DIN like you selected? (1 DIN = normal height or car radio) . If so there are a few 1.5 and 2 DIN stereo that have good power and features that I would like to consider.

Also, where is there room for an external AMP in the Z Dash area? I am trying to decide between an easy install (buying a stereo with decent power built in) and a more painfull install (seperate amp) but more power/quality.

I would like to stick with the stock wiring harness as much as possible to minimize install time and impact on the car. On most cars I have owned I just upgrade the stereo unit and speakers and that is "good enough" but with a convertible and odd speaker placement in the z I might need more power than the typical 25W RMS built in amp.

AndyB
Old 01-16-2003, 09:36 AM
AndyB

Default Re: Part 2 coming soon...

So it sounded good without an external amp?

I am sort of hoping to avoid an external amp if I can so if you tried this with no external amp please post the test configuration and the results.

Thanks!

Originally posted by FBlade1
The sound just with the amp, JL seperates and headunit is incredible! I will post more pictures and give a full review of how the subs and completed system sound next Tuesday.

PS: There are some great looking systems being posted on this forum! Keep it up!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:43 AM
DiverDown

AndyB,

I'm going to install an Alpine 7897 tomorrow with JL Audio components for the front and 6.5 coax's in the rear. This radio has a 50x4 amp built in. It even has a separate power supply behind the unit.

I am expecting great sound without an amp for the four speakers but will let you know as soon as I do.

DD
Old 01-16-2003, 12:47 PM
dczoner

Default Re: First off, thanks for posting the pics - I have questions.

Originally posted by AndyB
Now on to my question.
I ordered a Z and don't have it yet but I am planning the stereo upgrade. I really like the look of the metra head unit you have (that is the black plastic "radio box adapter" right?)

Do you know if Metra has a box to hold a 1.5 DIN or 2 DIN stereo instead of the 1 DIN like you selected? (1 DIN = normal height or car radio) . If so there are a few 1.5 and 2 DIN stereo that have good power and features that I would like to consider.
The stock head unit is 2 DIN, so no adapter would be necessary. And metra wouldn't make a 1/2 din dash kit since so few companies make 1/2 din equipment. However there are pockets available that are simply 1/2 din with some screw adaptors on the side - you basically make your own pocket.

Also, where is there room for an external AMP in the Z Dash area? I am trying to decide between an easy install (buying a stereo with decent power built in) and a more painfull install (seperate amp) but more power/quality.
There really is nowhere in the dash that you can put an amp - I spent all last weekend pulling apart dash panels and trying to find pockets of space, etc. . . The easiest place might be to go under the seats, but those don't have much room at all. . . Next best spot is w/o the Bose system, put the amp in the sub-enclosure area behind the drivers side.

I would like to stick with the stock wiring harness as much as possible to minimize install time and impact on the car. On most cars I have owned I just upgrade the stereo unit and speakers and that is "good enough" but with a convertible and odd speaker placement in the z I might need more power than the typical 25W RMS built in amp.
AndyB
Good luck!
Old 01-16-2003, 05:06 PM
FBlade1

Originally posted by DiverDown
I'm getting ready to install my system and was planning on putting my XM antenna in the same place you have yours. What is your reception like? Does it fade if you are travelling certain directions?

Thanks,
DD
No problems at all with reception. The headunit shows full signal and hasn't faded yet.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:31 PM
FBlade1

Default Re: First off, thanks for posting the pics - I have questions.

Now on to my question.

Yes.

I think dczoner hit the answers to your questions about the metra and amp install. The metra might be able to be configured a little differently because my installer asked me if I wanted the storage pocket. I could ask him and let you know if you would like. I have seen some really nice custom kits on this forum. I couldn't find the post but someone recently made a silver kit with and amber z on it which looked awesome! It all depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I mounted the amp behind the drivers seat in the sub location.

AndyB
Old 01-16-2003, 05:36 PM
gaseous

FBlade1,

Looks like a great setup!

I was wondering, which shop are you using for the install? Also, do they install only their offered equipment? I've only been to 2 or 3 in Rockville, MD and they will only install their own merchandise.

thanks.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
FBlade1

Originally posted by gaseous
FBlade1,

Looks like a great setup!

I was wondering, which shop are you using for the install? Also, do they install only their offered equipment? I've only been to 2 or 3 in Rockville, MD and they will only install their own merchandise.

thanks.
I am using Tweeter in Towson, MD. When I started looking at headunits I was torn between some of the sony models which they don't carry and the Alpine. They said they would install a headunit I brought in. Most of the stuff they carry is pretty high end and they know what their talking about so you may want to check them out. If you have any questions for them my salesman was Frank and the lead installer is Matt. After tearing my car apart Matt has some great ideas for installs. Both were very professional so I would highly recommend them. The number their is 410-339-7210.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:43 PM
aggie300zx

I've always felt amp installs under the seat were nice, if you go for less power, smaller type amps which I did. I have an MTX amp under each seat, so my sub location and storage space is still free. I have a sub in the rear in a hatch box, just waiting to figure out a more permanent home for it.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:43 PM
AndyB

Default Re: Re: First off, thanks for posting the pics - I have questions.

If you get a chance to ask your installer some of these questions that would be cool.

Now that you mention it, having a little cubby up front might be handy though.

ANdyB

Originally posted by FBlade1
Old 01-17-2003, 04:19 AM
Mikey Likes It
Charter Member #44

Where are you mounting the speaker for the Navi? How is it powered? How are you getting the audio to it?

Mike
Old 01-17-2003, 04:20 AM
gaseous

Thanks, I'll drop by the Tweeter store in Rockville and Columbia this weekend to scope them out.

My car doesn't come in till Feb 6th so I have some time.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 PM
FBlade1

Originally posted by Mikey Likes It
Where are you mounting the speaker for the Navi? How is it powered? How are you getting the audio to it?

Mike

The Speaker is mounted in front of the passenger under the dash. The installer used Zip ties to mount it. It's firmly in place, out of sight and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. The headunit has a cellphone mute feature which interrups the music when the nav voice comes on and resumes the music when it goes off. They did need to put a $1.00 6 volt relay in line from the Nav to the radio. This was because the nav unit has such a low output that it wouldn't trigger the mute feature on its own. The functionality of the unit is the same including the Nav voice volume.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:56 PM
FBlade1

Default Re: Re: Re: First off, thanks for posting the pics - I have questions.

If you get a chance to ask your installer some of these questions that would be cool.

Now that you mention it, having a little cubby up front might be handy though.

ANdyB

Talked to my installer today. There are a bunch of ways to configure the Metra kit and you can set it up for a double din. 1 1/2 din is not posible, you would have to get something custom made. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Stereo install part 1