Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:34 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)

just got this baby done, its a 2005 G35 coupe, featuring Stillen Supercharger and Stillen Full exhuast.

The goals for the system is:

1. loss of NO trunk space at all, completely hidden

2. Superb Sound quality, Imaging and staging

3. Avic-D1 navigation unit into the dash

4. a little bit of flash meshed with a clean looking install

so...here is what hte system comprises of:

Headunit: avic-D1 via double din dash kit
Front Speakers: DLS Ultimate UR6S 6.5" component set in custom fiberglass kickpanels
Rear Speakers: Infinity Kappa 6.5" three way component coaxials
Subs: TWO image Dynamics IDQ10v2d2 subwoofers
Amps: Alpine MRV-F545 4x100 amplifier plus MRV-M605 600 watt mono amplifier

so..lets get started:

using the double din kit,the avic is flush mounted to the opening, new mounting points were made so the unit sits flush with the opening and a piece of abs plastic was sanded down to ensure a completely flush fit with the unit's housing

Here is the custom kick panels housing hte DLS UR6s compset, due to the fact that the G35 has a parking brake pedal versus a handle, this is the best way to mount the kick. in a Z, it would be mounte further against the firewall Here the kicks are show with the heavy duty snap on grill off

here are the kicks with the grilles in place

now, onto the trunk, here is waht the trunk looks like normally, with the seats folded down and with the trunk open, as you can see, the floor was not raised at all, and its a completely stock look

here are the goods when you first pull off the carpet. the two subs are under protective heavy duty mesh grilles. its hard to tell from the picture but hte flush trim around the sub is suede. A raise Infinity logo is in the panel behind the subs, and the two DLS crossovers are slightly sunk into the floor. the floor panel is done in vinyl.

and here is the system in full show mode. the snap on grilles are lifted showing hte subs, and with the panel cover removed, the two alpine amps sit in a suede lined well, under 1/4" plexi, the alpine has built in fans and there are vents around the well for ventilation. all the wires are passed through grommits in the floor.

overall, i think it sounds excellent, another Z forum member had the chance to hear it before it was tuned, and perhaps he can shed light on how it sounds as well.

now before the bombardment of questions starts about "hey doesnt your leg block the sound and doesnt it sound like its coming all from your feet area?"

I would like to answer: NO! to both questions plain and simple, sound stage is dash level, and moving your feed infront of it doesnt change the sound at all, again, this can be verified by another unbiased listener. hehe

anyway, questions and comments welcome.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Rasengan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if that were my car, i'd never put that carpet back on...it would be an absolute insult the gorgeous work done
Old 02-08-2006, 11:46 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hehe, but then your trunk would be somewhat useless and each time you open the trunk, thieving eyes may catch a glimpse hehe
Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
GQ 350z

Well, where do I start?

I actually had the pleasure of hearing this car in person and boy, even with my extensive experiences with car audio I was BLOWN away.

A couple of things:

1) The install is done no justice in the pictures--it truly is a work of art in person

2) The kicks/speaker choices are AWESEOME. Me and 16psi actually tried putting our legs in front of the speakers to see if what people were saying was true. There was really no effect.

3) The workmanship and quality is bar none some of the best I have seen. I really like the way all the components and types of equipment flow together.

It is important to note that this setup sounded great with alll kinds of music genres. Bing (the installer) had many types of music--we demo'd Movie soundtracks, techno, my hip-hop, and even my Indian music, and I was VERY impressed.

Needless to say if anyone needs car audio anywhere in the U.S. the best option would be to go see Bing. This guy is awesome, friendly, and most importantly likes what he does. Me and him got along great, and for sure you guys will be seeing *ahem* something soon...

Awesome install, awesome sound, awesome equipment, awesome person.

What else can you ask for?

I'm very impressed.

Ravi
Old 02-08-2006, 11:57 AM
visionboy

wow, looks great and clean install. i bet it sounds great too. only thing i don't is that the kick panel sticks out and takes up space. My legs/feet get a little claustophobic when there are things around, hehe. but good job overall though
Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hehe

as for foot space, over the years i have prolly built well over 50-100 pair of kicks for people, and many of them ask about foot room. i tell them this:

give yourself 10days to adjust, if in 10days, you still cant get used to them, come back, i will refund you the money and put the sepakrse where ever you want. and i have never gotten anyone to come back.

the human body adjusts itself over time, sorta like when you get into a new car, at first, everytthing seems weird, your sitting position, wheel, pedals, but with in a few days, you become acustomed to it.

kicks it he same way, with in days, your leg automatically adjusts for them, and they rest in a new way, and you dont even notice it anymore and they are sturdy enough for you to kick and hit without having to worry about killing it...but of course, non of this would matter if it didnt offer night and day difference in sound versusthe stock location.

of course, like i said, with 350zs and the lack of a parking brake pedal, you can build kicks that take away much less foot space than these
Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent!!

You guys have a wire shroud for around the amps?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

not right now, but that is an excellent suggestion hmmm...when he comes back for the video portion of hte instll, i will see if i can built him something!

waht do you think, a secondary flush panel lined in suede so only the amps show?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:08 PM
GQ 350z

Is he getting an external dvd player or what?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:09 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yup, the stupid warehouse shipping it wrong, so its not here in time...

but its prewired, there will be a half din dvd player in the upper glovebox with its own flush panel, and two headrest monitors...prolly in a week or so hehe
Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
sq40

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
not right now, but that is an excellent suggestion hmmm...when he comes back for the video portion of hte instll, i will see if i can built him something!

waht do you think, a secondary flush panel lined in suede so only the amps show?
Sounds like a great Idea that would match well, Something Easily Removable.. Even Sued over Precision Cut Soft Foam?

Looks perfect IMO, I would love to hear it in person, too bad you folks are soooo far away.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hehe i used to be close to you, in Pittsburgh, unitl about 6 months ago my wife went to school in marshall so i used to drive down 79 every coupla weeks, fun drive for sure...

there is no us folks, its just me haha

Last edited by 16psibrick; 02-08-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
350z_this

looks super clean... not feeling the speakers in the front... maybe b/c i have the 6mt
Old 02-08-2006, 12:41 PM
NissanBlack350Z

not feeling the speakers in the front but the screen is very cool
Old 02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
sq40

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
hehe i used to be close to you, in Pittsburgh, unitl about 6 months ago my wife went to school in marshall so i used to drive down 79 every coupla weeks, fun drive for sure...

there is no us folks, its just me haha
Small World, Im 2 miles off of I79...

Ever Compete USACi? Maybe we have ran in to each other and didnt know it?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
danny8ng

That is one clean and stealth-looking installation -- great job!
Too bad your shop is not locally here in San Diego area, I would have you re-customized the audio system in my Z.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hehe, no sweat ont he manual and kicks, with in a coupla weeks, i willbe doing kicks in a manual Z, i will show the pics then

i did compete in iasca, just local events, but that was like 5-7 years ago, never had the time to do it seriously, took home a few trophies, a few cars i have built did do well as well...but nothing like a national championship or anyhting..

san diego? i am having someone drive up from there in a few weeks to have me do his car and i get guys from LA a lot, I am quite a bit cheaper than the high end install shops in their area (sometimes up to 50 percent) and i make sure everything is done rigth. i even fly down and pick up and drop down cars hehe
Old 02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
05-Z

Very clean! I'm sure it sounds excellent, I've yet to hear DLS speakers.

ID 10's are almost legendary now. You should start mass producing Z kicks, like the Nazaar pods and retire soon.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

hahaha, mass production is not for me, i may do it on a by car basis, but i spend a lot of effort into the kicks, fully dampening and sealing each one, and its really not all tha tenjoyable of an experience hunched over in the wheel well haha and its built to each speaker...

mass production kicks owuld mean say injection molded, and to me, they dont sound right hehe

b
Old 02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Jamaica2G

WAY TO GO BING-O!!!!!! (aka 16psiBrick)

Your install is nothing less than expected. A+ all day!

Good friend, good guy, good work...

Adrian

Quick Reply: 2005 G35 Coupe Sound Quality Install -- Lots of pics :)