Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Pioneer Nav system parts pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 02:30 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, good idea, but I really want to hard wire it. I think that running the LCD, Nav, FM modulator and cell phone off the rear outlet would look very odd.

As to covering up the screw holes, what if you just cut the rubber bottom trip so that it fit?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:14 PM
abz123

That will probably work if you secure it. The smaller piece could get tossed out with a little spirited driving. It's just rubber and you can probably get a piece like it anywhere.

Originally posted by rouxeny
Hmm, good idea, but I really want to hard wire it. I think that running the LCD, Nav, FM modulator and cell phone off the rear outlet would look very odd.

As to covering up the screw holes, what if you just cut the rubber bottom trip so that it fit?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:25 PM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, rouxeny. Looks very good so far.
Make me want to go and order the parts and start on it myself...
I think at the rate it's going, I'll probably end up doing the exact same config, and with your write up, I should probably be able to install it myself.

Anyways, thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:47 PM
rouxeny

Hmm, a problem has arisen. The brackets that I was hoping to use only come with the CD changer. I'm not sure if Courtesy will be willing to separate them, I hope so.

I may have to put the nav unit in the cubby hole...which I broke.

Hmm, we'll see.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:16 PM
qirex

you mean the cubby where the stock nav goes?
cant you fix it?

is it worth $500 yet?

btw you said the car was undrivable? do you have another ride? or just on call all week?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:29 PM
rouxeny

It's a character building process! Well, now I'm actually interested to see if I can do it, not to mention I'm learning a lot about the car and AV setup.

Luckily, I have my other car to drive. The Z isn't undrivable, it's just missing the center console still.

I think this bracket problem is surmountable. There's a U shaped bracket which holds up the cubby hole, the Nav fits on it pretty well, I'm sure there is a way to jury rig something, I might even be able to use the Pioneer brackets. I don't think I'll be able to tell until I take the rest of the car apart.

Oh, I tried the nav unit inside the cubby hole, it doesn't fit.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:09 PM
rouxeny

So, I haven't had any time to do anything to the car, but I've read and re-read the multiple threads posted here on installation and I have to say, they're very helpful. Somebody should get them all together and make them a sticky. I'm pretty sure that in addition to the threads I linked to earlier, I can find the ones which describe the taking apart of the ABS (Area Behind Seats), along with the detailed threads on how to take apart the front door panels.

I do have my broken cubby hole inside the house and I'm trying to think of ways to secure the nav unit.

I'm going to stop at my local Nissan dealer and see if they have any spare brackets sitting around.

Here's a pic of the unit and the broken cubby. As has been previously posted, the correct way to remove the cubbies is to the push up and pull simultaneously. It's supposed to be easy, obviously, for me, it wasn't.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-broken-box.jpg  
Old 02-05-2003, 07:13 PM
rouxeny

Somebody earlier managed to get an Alpine nav unit to sit within the cubby, I'm not sure how they did it as you can tell the Pioneer is way too tall to go in. An interesting way of installing would be to cut the back of the cubby so that it became essentially a trim piece with a floor. I'm pretty sure it would still remain secure within the mail box slot. You could then attach the nav to the floor of the cubby, slide the cubby back into the slot, and call it a day. Seeing as my tools consist of a screwdriver and a single wrench, I'm not sure how I'd accomplish cutting it. But, seeing as I now have a broken cubby, I'm not adverse to a little experimentation. I do have access to an unlimited supply of #10 blades, I bet I could make it through with a few of them.

Again, I think I'm making this part out to be more of a problem than it has to be, but keep in mind that I'm pretty much a total beginner at car audio. Those of you interested in doing your own installs, if I can get this done, it pretty much means anybody with opposable thumbs will too. I'm still worried about the electrical wiring. I've splinted a bunch of times, splayed a few times, but never spliced. Basically, I'm still not sure where to hook various things up to. Specifically, I don't know where the LCD, NAV and RF mod power wires should go. They all require 12 volts, obviously, I think it'd be best for there to be a fuse between them and the battery. Will I need to run something directly from the battery, or will I be able to use something internal, perhaps by the fuse box or by the rear outlet? I may end up needing professional help for that part.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-doesn-t-fit.jpg  

Last edited by rouxeny; 02-05-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:53 PM
qirex

dude...get prof help...

please.

at least find a buddy who has clue...the last thing you want is an electrical failure=$$$$$
Old 02-05-2003, 08:01 PM
rouxeny

Hang on hang on, I know I'll probably need help with the electrical bit, I've been saying that forever. The physical installation is not that difficult. Obviously, there are some unexpected obstactles, but they can be worked out. I'm doing this as a learning experience, and hopefully so that the various people on this board who are contemplating the same thing have some idea of what's required. Is experimenting on the Z kind of scary? Yes, but I don't anticipate doing anything that's unreversible or foolhardy. It's also more scary to leave your car in the hands of somebody who knows NOTHING about it and has absolutely no idea where to start when pulling panels. Admitedly, it's not that hard, which is why I'm attempting it, but I haven't had too much confidence in any of the installers I've met. I'm more than smart enough to realize my limitations and if and when (good chance I will) I reach them, I'll go to the pros.

I'm looking for a buddy that has a clue, that's why I'm bothering to post all these problems up here.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I'm looking for a buddy that has a clue, that's why I'm bothering to post all these problems up here.
Andrew, as Victor had mentioned a while back, you should call (603-382-1801) or PM Nazar with your questions. I have met him quite a few times and talked to him on the phone even more and he is always happy to help. I know that he went away to Florida (?) until Saturday the 8th, but he should be back at work on Monday (or maybe even on Sunday). Just mention you are from this board and in the same breath mention you are planning to drive up there from CT in April and you'll be all set. Hopefully someone will read your pleas for help before then, but if not, with a couple of 350Z installations done (with screens), he's your man...uhhh I mean Buddy. BTW great job (and information) on your install! Almost makes me believe I could do it, although I agree the electrical portion is the most intimidating.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:55 PM
rouxeny

This is the final update for a while. I got sick of not driving the Z, and the weather was almost decent today (32 degrees) so I decided to put the car back together. I took off my fiber optic attachment, as it's got nowhere to go and I put the center console back in. Please note, putting this back where it belongs is not as easy as taking it out. At least, I didn't think so. Of course, I had the whole thing just about screwed in and I realized I hadn't plugged in the 3 meters at the top. Oops. The whole thing fits back together with no gaps, once you get it positioned right.

I try to start the car, and the starter goes, but the engine doesn't crank. Uh oh! All I can think about is, "Damn that qirex, I hate it when other people are right! " I've got battery power, and all meters and switches work. The engine just doesn't crank. I pull out all my manuals and start looking for some explanation. I look at all the fuses, nothings blown. Great. I'm starting to think I'll have to break out the tow hook to get the car to Nissan. I try unplugging the battery for a while, do a OBD diagnostic routine, nothing.

Finally, after a bit, I give up and take a break. When I come back, I notice that the rpms go up, by just the slightest bit. I give her some gas, and the engine starts. Thank god!

To summarize, I don't think this had anything to do with my amateur console dissection. It's probably more due to some fuel line error, possibly related to the freezing weather and almost 9 days without driving.

The lesson learned, this installation is probably too much for me. Number one, I don't have the knowledge, number two, I don't have the time to fiddle with the car, number three, it's too damn cold to be outside playing around.

Hopefully, Nazar is open on Saturday, and I can make it up there for an install. I'd like to see the shop sometime.

Thanks for everybody's help, I couldn't have gotten this far without all of you.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:16 PM
vicmar90

Andrew, good effort. You are doing the right thing. You'd get really upset if something went wrong during the wiring stage and you lost one of your components.

I am looking forward to meeting Nazar as well. I think some of the cars he has installed systems in will be at the spring meet and I am looking forward to seeing them. Although I have no plans for a stereo upgrade this year, I probably will next year.

If you want a companion on your trip to Nazar let me know as I'm normally home bored on Saturday's, otherwise, keep us updated on how things go.
Victor
Old 02-12-2003, 08:04 AM
WebToker

Andrew,

I want to personaly thank you for not only posting th picutres and comments of what you are going through but being brave enough to be one of the first to do this. I am going to start ordering my parts and it will in fact be my first mod after tint of course.

Thanks again...
Old 02-12-2003, 03:19 PM
rouxeny

So, I've talked to Nazar and I'm thankful to him for managing to accomodate me fairly soon (March 1). I've ordered the brackets used to hold the OEM nav system in. I think they should fit any aftermarket DIN sized item. I've also ordered the faceplate, both from my local Nissan dealer. Unfortunately, one or the other is on backorder and it may take up to a week to get. Luckily, I have two weeks.

I'll try to take lots of pics when the install gets done.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:08 PM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I've talked to Nazar and I'm thankful to him for managing to accomodate me fairly soon (March 1). I've ordered the brackets used to hold the OEM nav system in. I think they should fit any aftermarket DIN sized item. I've also ordered the faceplate, both from my local Nissan dealer. Unfortunately, one or the other is on backorder and it may take up to a week to get. Luckily, I have two weeks.

I'll try to take lots of pics when the install gets done.
If possible, can you document the wiring details during your install for us potential DIYers?
Old 02-14-2003, 06:46 PM
MacGuru

I'll try to take lots of pics when the install gets done. [/B]
I admire your determination, battling your way through the unchartered waters. Like many others, I look forward to seeing your Z at one of the many meets come spring. Come spring time, a road trip to Boston sounds nice. I’m on the fence about doing it myself or having it done professionally. Thanks to my fascination with electronics throughout my childhood, I’m experienced in electrical, stereos, amps, and all that encompasses. Basically, I’m a little bit neurotic, and when I do things I do it RIGHT. For someone else to do the install, it would have to be extremely well done (stock/stealth) and a complete professional install. At the end of the day, it’s really about making the ‘time’ available. Maybe when warmer temps comes around I’ll have more time to play. Who knows, maybe I’ll take the bull by the horns and do the install myself.

Good luck with the rest of the install. Look forward to seeing more pics.
Peace. -m
Old 02-24-2003, 05:46 PM
rouxeny

Default Install - Act II

Alright! March 1 is coming up quick, but not quick enough for me. My plans have changed somewhat in terms of the install. I've purchased the Farenheit DVD-5F from Crutchfield ($179.99). Obviously, it plays DVDs, but it also plays MP3 CDs. I figure this way, I can watch DVDs without having to switch the nav disc, and I'll be able to play my illegally obtained MP3's in the car. One 800MB CD-R has got to hold a lot of songs.

I also bought a FM modulator through them, it's some Jensen unit, which was fairly cheap. We'll see about the quality. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have skimped on this, but I'm hoping that I'll eventually replace the HU and that I'll be able to get a direct AUX in and do away with the FM mod altogether.

I also have 2 sets of OEM nav brackets. Both the Pioneer nav and the Farenheit DVD have fairly DIN sized measurements. The Farenheit is 7 1/16" wide. I'm not sure if either will be able to use the stock brackets, but it's a start.

LOTS of pics on Sunday, maybe Saturday night, depending on when I get back.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:23 AM
WebToker

Default Re: Install - Act II

Alright! March 1 is coming up quick, but not quick enough for me. My plans have changed somewhat in terms of the install. I've purchased the Farenheit DVD-5F from Crutchfield ($179.99). Obviously, it plays DVDs, but it also plays MP3 CDs. I figure this way, I can watch DVDs without having to switch the nav disc, and I'll be able to play my illegally obtained MP3's in the car. One 800MB CD-R has got to hold a lot of songs.

I also bought a FM modulator through them, it's some Jensen unit, which was fairly cheap. We'll see about the quality. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have skimped on this, but I'm hoping that I'll eventually replace the HU and that I'll be able to get a direct AUX in and do away with the FM mod altogether.

I also have 2 sets of OEM nav brackets. Both the Pioneer nav and the Farenheit DVD have fairly DIN sized measurements. The Farenheit is 7 1/16" wide. I'm not sure if either will be able to use the stock brackets, but it's a start.

LOTS of pics on Sunday, maybe Saturday night, depending on when I get back.
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics!
Old 03-16-2003, 05:46 PM
KJ-350

This is just the fiber optic cable. If anybody wants pics of the actual setup, I'll get some.

if you could that would be great!!

Quick Reply: Pioneer Nav system parts pics