Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 06:10 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ZLAND...or anyone else.

Any new updates for us in waiting here ? I am only interested in the bottom line cost. I want one of these, but soon and for a fair price. I realize that there is alot of work involved (see below), but it definitely looks like there is plenty of interest in a group buy here. This will be enough work to keep Paul busy for weeks. Since I was one of the first in line, if I order one, and pay once the price is set, I want to be sure that I am one of the first to receive the enclosure. How will the ordering be setup ? I just want to make sure that we don't overwhelm Paul, and scare him into backing out. Yes, if you can't tell, I am impatient, and I don't want to wait until summer is here for this sub enclosure.

In the meantime, I started my own enclosure, of a slightly different design, but located in the same area. I will have pics to post by the end of the week.

Here's what I have done so far...

1. I lined the entire area behind the left rear wheel well with 3/8" foam padding to allow for build-up outside of my mold. This foam lines the entire area, and all plastic panels.
2. I taped the entire area with masking tape to make sure that my liquid form mold (using great stuff) would not leak, and leave me with a huge mess to clean up.
3. Constructed the mold out of low expansion great stuff. This was done in 6-7 layers and built up from the bottom. 4 or 5 hours was allowed for drying time between layers. I used alot of great stuff (2 20oz cans and 2 12 oz cans)...but it works well, IF you allow drying time between layers.
4. After the main mold was constructed, I designed a baffle out of 3/4" mdf. This baffle plate will be the only portion of the enclosure that is seen above the false floor of the hatch. It covers the area from about 3 inches over top of where the false floor ends to the very upper corner of the plastic below the hatch seal. The pictures will describe this better once I transfer them. This baffle pattern was made using a piece of cardboard and painstakingly trimming and cutting it to get a perfect fit into this area. I used the pattern to cut the baffle plate out of mdf using a jigsaw.
5. I made a 3/4" mdf trim ring which will mount to the baffle plate and allow for more mounting depth, and make the speaker look flush mounted. I will feather in some fiberglass pieces to make the baffle plate and trim ring look like one piece and all molded.

I have yet to start the fiberglassing process, but that will start soon, possibly this evening. I hope to have it finished by the weeks end, and have my Z back together. I plan on covering the plate with vinyl, which I have not located yet. I will start looking this week. This enclosure will house a JL Audio 10W6, possibly a 10w6v2, and maybe even a 10w7. I will get the depths measured as soon as I get the enclosure molded.

I would love to use a 10w7, but they are a little steep in price, anyone have a good source for a reasonably priced 10w6v2 ???

Wish me luck with this endeavor...
Old 02-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you took pics as you went along...I'm very curious to see how you did this and what it took along with pics of the finished product. It's hard to visualize with written explaination only. Please post when you can. Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 12:12 PM
RODiculouZ

I'm definitely in!

#1 Charcoal Leather
#2 JL Audio 10W0
#3 not sure yet
Old 02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
ZZtopp

Gotta have one!

Track model, charcoal interior.
Alpine SWS-1041D 10" sub.
Alpine MRV-F450 amp.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:52 PM
chattermark

finally something that I am interested in:

Here is goes:

1. Color of your 350Z's interior.
Frost Leather (plastic panels look beige)

2. Sub drivers you plan on putting in the enclosure.
1-undecieded
Old 02-11-2003, 08:58 AM
oogybgy

I am definitely interested, pending price and timing.

1. sunset orange-orange seats-black interior

2. most likely JL 10w7 or JL 10w6v2-would be interested in what sort of pricing you could give me if I get both from you

3. not sure about the remainder of the stereo-most likely keep the factory unit, definitely replace speakers with some sort of Infinity, MB Quart, JL, or Focals; no idea about the amps yet

4. no real concerns except I am getting my car the first week of April and would like to have the equipment very shortly after.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:25 AM
onecoolee

oogybgy...

This enclosure will not hold a 10W7 or a 10W6V2. The 10W7 sub requires 1.3 cuft of space and 9" mounting depth, and this enclosure barely has .75 cuft of space, according to Paul. I suggested a 10W6, and at this point even that speaker may be somewhat questionable. The 10W6 requires .75cuft and a mounting depth jsut under 5". THe 10W6 v2 requires the same volume, but more depth (7"), so I doubt it will fit without some modifications to the baffle to make the mounting depth 2 inches deeper...

Paul or Jeff will need to verify this for sure, but I think most of you who are considering anything requiring more than 5" in depth, may need to consider using a different woofer...

The custom enclosure I am currently working on, mounts at a different angle, which increases the mounting depth by at least 1-2 inches, but it would be a BIG stretch to fit a 10w7 in there. I heard the 8W7's sound incredible, and they shouldn't be so beefy, maybe my enclosure would work for that. However, I am only considering making one, and after that the mold will be destroyed--not becasue I want to destroy it, but because the way I am building the enclosure, the mold will have to be broken in the process of building the enclosure...
Old 02-11-2003, 10:01 PM
jessegz

Very interested in your product.

1. Carbon cloth/black plastic

2. Sub - JL 10w3. I am also curious as to your price for the sub.

3. Head unit – Pioneer DEH-P840MP
Focal components polykevlar 165k2
Not sure on the amps yet

4. Concerns - Timeframe and cost.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:49 AM
oogybgy

Thanks for the info onecoolee. I didn;t realize this box couldn;t handle that size sub. I may have to rethink this one. I would like to try and stick to JL.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:14 AM
mikersoft

I'm interested..

1. Interior - carbon cloth/black

2. Sub - don't know yet

3. System - don't know yet. maybe just stock head unit w/new amp and speakers

4. Concerns - I'm not in a hurry to purchase, but I just want to get my name in the mix so I don't miss out.

-Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 05:31 AM
aggie300zx

oogybgy,

You can stick with JL, just not at the top end because of the volume those subs need. I have been running a JL 10W3 for several years now and love the output it produces. And based on the dimensions and volume we have received thus far this sub should work perfectly for the box (.75 cu). Just wanted to let you know you could stay with JL if you really wanted to.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:22 AM
topeewala

#1- Super black with black interior

#2- stock head unit w/new amp and speakers
( dont know SUB YET, probabl a JL 10 w 7 or 10 w3)

#3-Only concern is that my inquiry is over looked
wanted to get my name in the mix
Old 02-13-2003, 07:58 PM
cobf32

I want one!!!!

Black (graphite) interior

Using a JL audio 10W1-4 (requires 5" or slightly less mounting depth)

Front speakers: JL audio XR650-CSI all powered by JL 500/5 amp
stock HU for now... upgrading soon.

pricing and time frame??

Great work

Silverstone performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 02-15-2003, 07:18 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default just waiting

Hi guys, I spoke to Paul this week and he said he plans on posting prices for the sub enclosures on about the 20th of Feb.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2003, 07:38 PM
MacGuru

Thanks for the update. Will he also provide date of delivery? Will the boxes come pre-cut for speaker size?
If the price is right I may get 2, left and right rear. I'm currently commited to (1) enclosure. Which side is recommeded for install of a single woofer, left or right rear? Does it even matter? I'm thinkging of going with a JL and single (not sure which) amp to power it.

Looking forward to 20th of February.
-m
Old 02-16-2003, 12:21 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine is on the driver side. The problem with the passenger side is it has a tool kit in the way he said but i think he will address that issue later. so, if only one, go for driver side.

Speaker holes will be precut, ready to screw in the speaker. Paul will give you recommendations of amps to use when you place your order.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2003, 03:23 AM
onecoolee

ZLAND...

What is the time frame on this...I am getting anxious.

Please let me know when Paul will be starting his production line...you can PM me if necessary.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:25 AM
mytalon

I'm lucky I found this thread in time, I am interested also.

1. Black Carbon fiber
2. JL Audio 10w3v2-d2 one on right/left
3. JL Audio 300/2 250/1
4. good price and the quality in zland's car
Old 02-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Ludecrew

1. Black Leath/ Int
2. JL Audio 10W6v2
3. JL Audio 300/2 500/1

also already emailed paul same info
Old 02-19-2003, 09:01 PM
ZilverZ

Yes! I want one.
1. Carbon black cloth
2. JL Audio 10W3 V2
3. JL Audio 300/4

Let me know when you think this will be done. I'm putting MB Quart PSD216 in front and still planning the rest of the system. This looks like a very clean way to go.

Quick Reply: my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?