Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Install update NEW PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 AM
HARRYPOTTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i'm pretty pissed off with you tattoo60012, because you made me buy a rollof this, and 4 yards of the foam. YOU will explan to the girlfriend...lol.

I'm not a big fan of adding weight to the vehicle, but this is not as heavy as dynamat extreme, so I'll give it a try and see what happens...i'm sure i'll like it. my interior is already gutted for drifting anyway, so I have most of the work already done

seems like a great product. thanks for the heads up TATOO

Peace

Potter
Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by HARRYPOTTER
well i'm pretty pissed off with you tattoo60012, because you made me buy a rollof this, and 4 yards of the foam. YOU will explan to the girlfriend...lol.

I'm not a big fan of adding weight to the vehicle, but this is not as heavy as dynamat extreme, so I'll give it a try and see what happens...i'm sure i'll like it. my interior is already gutted for drifting anyway, so I have most of the work already done

seems like a great product. thanks for the heads up TATOO

Peace

Potter
Rock and / or Roll...... Glad to help out where I can.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Lancaster

Yea I meant the front carpeting. I ended up just cutting it in half at the center console so I could do one side at a time. But getting it out around the lower air register and hook were pissing me off so I just took a razor to it

I put down a small bit of mat before calling it a night, and even with that deadening in I was amazed how noisy the floor is with the carpet gone Makes me glad I didnt stop with the trunk
Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 AM
tattoo60012

yeah, I did the tink / thump test around the front floor, and was surprised how most of it thumped, the big tink area's were around the seat mounts, so I put raammat there to stop the tink, and then layered 1 piece of ensolite over each side. As far as removal, I have the luxury of not "needing" the car, so I was able to do the whole thing all at once. I did remove the "black box" actually it's silver, but whatever from behind the e-brake handle to assist in getting the carpet out. I know what you mean by the vents giving aggravation, I had to pull pretty hard to get the vent off, and at one point I was pretty sure I was going to break it anyway. I actually tried to remove the center bottom dash panel on the passenger side and broke the center mount for the retainer pin that was located down there. Obviously you don't need to remove that panel, but at the time I was "on a roll" and everything was coming up Millhouse so I figured hells bells let's take everything out. Of course when the plastic breaks, the party is over and I always seem to be the one left holding the check.

I hope that the deadening and ensolite will be enough to get me to where I want to be sound wise in the car, or at least if I can convice myself that it's what I wanted the whole time, then I will be happy. Otherwise Rick over at Raammat will be getting another order, I will be posting more pics, and my girlfriend will be calling the nice people in the white coats to come and talk to me.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Lancaster

pwhew I just spent a few hours laying more raammat down. Even with the passenger floor *BIG TIME* layered and completely covered it still sounds like the right side of the interior is a go-kart Hoping its just because the carpet isn't there. Or maybe all the noise is coming through the door, i dunno. I'm going to throw my roll of ensolite on the floor for the ride home and see if that helps at all.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a first time glasisng job, i would say it turned out pretty darn nice

b
Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
for a first time glasisng job, i would say it turned out pretty darn nice

b
Thank you very much. Overall I'm pretty pleased,I know if I were to do it again there are a couple of things that I would do a little differently, mostly just things to make it easier with the stretching of the fleece, and the stretching of the vinyl around the corners. Who knows I may grow a wild hair in a couple of months and take the panels off and do it again, but for now I really miss driving her, so I am motivated to finish.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by Lancaster
pwhew I just spent a few hours laying more raammat down. Even with the passenger floor *BIG TIME* layered and completely covered it still sounds like the right side of the interior is a go-kart Hoping its just because the carpet isn't there. Or maybe all the noise is coming through the door, i dunno. I'm going to throw my roll of ensolite on the floor for the ride home and see if that helps at all.
How did it sound with the ensolite sitting on the floor? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
How did it sound with the ensolite sitting on the floor? Inquiring minds want to know.
Well I just unfolded the ensolite and put it on the floor, so it wasn't tacked down on the aluminum. Not sure exactly how closed cell works so it might be pointless unless it's right against the sound surface. I think most of the noise was coming through the door(which hasn't been done yet), plus I haven't put the inner weather stripping back around the door (on either side) so that could also be a contributor.

Trunk area seems quiet though I have 1.2 rolls of mat in the car as of this morning
Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
Thank you very much. Overall I'm pretty pleased,I know if I were to do it again there are a couple of things that I would do a little differently, mostly just things to make it easier with the stretching of the fleece, and the stretching of the vinyl around the corners. Who knows I may grow a wild hair in a couple of months and take the panels off and do it again, but for now I really miss driving her, so I am motivated to finish.

thats how we all start brotha

i caught the bug back in 1995, and did about 5 totally different systems in my first truck in a span of a year lol...
Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
thats how we all start brotha

i caught the bug back in 1995, and did about 5 totally different systems in my first truck in a span of a year lol...
So, I should tell my girlfriend that this is more of permanent hobby as opposed to a passing fancy?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:02 AM
tattoo60012

Well I just unfolded the ensolite and put it on the floor, so it wasn't tacked down on the aluminum. Not sure exactly how closed cell works so it might be pointless unless it's right against the sound surface. I think most of the noise was coming through the door(which hasn't been done yet), plus I haven't put the inner weather stripping back around the door (on either side) so that could also be a contributor.

Trunk area seems quiet though I have 1.2 rolls of mat in the car as of this morning
Yeah, the weather stripping makes a surprising amount of difference, and if you have the door panel off, that will also contribute to how loud it is in the car. As far as how the ensolite works, for vibration dampening it would need to be tacked to the surface, but for general noise insulation placing a layer should be almost as good as having it stuck down.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 AM
HARRYPOTTER

so wait....let me get this straight....we are basically getting 2 sound deadner typ materials if you order the Raamat, and the Ensolite?...I ordered both not knowing what I was doing....and I ordered 4 yeards...that's a lot right?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by HARRYPOTTER
so wait....let me get this straight....we are basically getting 2 sound deadner typ materials if you order the Raamat, and the Ensolite?...I ordered both not knowing what I was doing....and I ordered 4 yeards...that's a lot right?
Right, 2 different materials. You lay down a layer or two of matting, and then glue a layer of ensolite on top to finish. As I understand, the mat is considered 'sound deadener' as it cuts down on vibrations in the sheet metal. The ensolite is a straight up noise barrier, so in tandem they're supposed to be pretty effective.

I picked up 6 yards of the ensolite, which is going to be waaay overkill..but it wasn't very expensive and I'm going to pad all the insides of my plastic panels when they go back on
Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

the foam part is wher ei prefer to use elemental designs edead, unlike the foam they give you, the Edead v4 is thicker, and is adhesive backed, so you dont need to spray, just peal and put on

www.edesignaudio.com

b
Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 AM
tattoo60012

Whatever brand you choose, you are essentially looking to kill sound, and much like you have a subwoofer and a tweeter to make different sounds you use 2 different kinds of deadener to get rid of the sounds. The Raammat BXT or Dynamat, Brown bread, whatever you use is designed to add mass to large metal panels and reduce their tendency to make and transmit low frequency vibrations. The foam materials are a lot like insulation where they are designed to block the high frequency sounds like your tweeter would produce. 2 different sounds 2 different types of deadening. Neither one is good enough to do the whole job, but together they make a great team.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 AM
HARRYPOTTER

that sounded like it should have been in car audio magazine...lol....nice...thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Lancaster

pwhew, just finished doing the floors. Mat, foam, and then the carpet back in. I was vvery worried that I was going to see minimal gains on the ride home, as I did last time. Definitely a big difference this time

Before I just had mat down on the passenger floor. Now with mat, foam, and the carpet back in on BOTH sides...well, there's still a lot of noise; but its all coming from either the doors and to a lesser degree the back. Engine is much quieter in the cab reving to 4-5k. Before when I shifted around the gearbox at a stop and could hear it clicking...cant hear that anymore. Felt like I was driving my Audi again So far so good!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:06 AM
tattoo60012

pwhew, just finished doing the floors. Mat, foam, and then the carpet back in. I was vvery worried that I was going to see minimal gains on the ride home, as I did last time. Definitely a big difference this time

Before I just had mat down on the passenger floor. Now with mat, foam, and the carpet back in on BOTH sides...well, there's still a lot of noise; but its all coming from either the doors and to a lesser degree the back. Engine is much quieter in the cab reving to 4-5k. Before when I shifted around the gearbox at a stop and could hear it clicking...cant hear that anymore. Felt like I was driving my Audi again So far so good!
That's awesome, I'm still in installation limbo molding a fiberglass sub box, and figuring out how to mount everything on the glovebox side and still make some kind of glove box out of the leftover space. I can't wait to get my beast back out on the road now, I already ran the wiring for the amps back to the glove box, now I need to do the door wiring, re-install the door panels, finish up the sub box, mount everything to something solid, a quick prayer and away I go. If interested I can post some pics of the sub box, but it's not that interesting really. It's just a box. I'll definitly post the completed pics of the box, which I should have today if all goes well.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 PM
twotonetrack

I just Fat-Mat ed the doors this weekend but not near as much as you. You might want to reconsider the sub location. I dismissed all the threads about how the sound quality was horrible from that location and wasted time and money, eventually tearing it out and putting an under strut bar fiberglass box.

Quick Reply: Install update NEW PICTURES