Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hurry up and finish your audio install so I can do my first "aqua" colored conversion.

-Acree
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Just was able to acquire a piece that has been eluding me for some time now...

I FINALLY got my hands on a brand new Mcintosh CD-Changer. This thing has been discontinued and luckily I was able to find one brand new. THis will be going in the car with some other interior goodies soon after we finish the motor swap.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice changer there Kwame. I gotta come up your way some time to see your system in person!!! And Adam's too.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

That's sweeeet. Can't wait to see it installed.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Kwame

Default Update!

My stereo shop gave me a call today to let me know that I WILL be replacing my current Morel Elates with this:

Morel released info on their new Limited Edition Elate system. The LE system is designed for those with a passion for perfection (and a large wallet). The woofer features a carbon fiber composite sandwich cone and "enhanced magnet system" for improved power handling and improved frequency response. The system also includes a redesigned version of the amazing MT-23 tweeter offering improved frequency response, soundstage, and accuracy. The LE's crossover features true audiophile components and impressive flexibility. The 3-way system has an MSRP of $2499, and the 2-way will set you back $2199.

Press release and some close up photos after the jump.

Morel Press Release
Morel’s Elate Limited Edition Series to deliver the definitive sound experience
Just 500 2-way and 3-way systems worldwide will pamper the lucky few

Ness Ziona, Israel; February 1, 2008 — Morel, a worldwide leader in car audio speaker components and systems since 1975, debuts its first-ever limited edition series - the Elate Limited Edition 6 2-way and 3-way systems. Developed by Morel’s illustrious R&D engineers, the Elate LE is targeted at “those unique few who settle for nothing but the best.“

“The Elate Limited Edition system represents the ultimate in technological savvy to deliver the definitive sound experience. Engineered to capture the magic of a live performance in your car, the Elate Limited Edition will put your favorite performer in the front seat, with all of the clarity and immediacy imaginable,” says Morel’s President and founder, Mr. Meir Mordechai.

The Elate LE 6.5" woofer features a newly developed carbon fiber composite sandwich cone, substantially increased Xmax and enhanced magnet system, which delivers higher power handling while maintaining a well balanced, astonishing dynamic range.

Morel’s renowned “sweet and warm” sound comes to the fore even more in this Limited Edition – featuring a newly designed, updated version of Morel’s MT-23 tweeter, with a lower resonance frequency and super-powered neodymium magnet. Its dynamics and sound characteristics produce a uniquely broad vertical and horizontal soundstage, with accurate image for extraordinarily precise and authentic sound reproduction.

The CDM-88 midrange was specially optimized to align with the new Elate LE woofer and tweeter sound qualities, with improved acoustical parameters and enhanced overall dynamics and clarity.

The Limited Edition spares no cost in the top-grade crossover components (such as Mundorf capacitors on the 2-Way), offering a variety of customization capabilities: frequency slope selection, level attenuation for all of the components, bi-wiring and bi-amping. In addition to the increased overall power handling, the Elate LE assures optimum adaptability of the speakers’ performance to any car environment.

To top it off, the Limited Edition has an attractive, chic finish and is delivered in an impressive, high-end gift box.

Due out in late March, those who act fast can be among just 500 others who will enjoy these Elate Limited Edition speakers for years to come.

We also have some additional tricks up our sleeve for the next batch of upgrades that will further improve the bada$$ness of my sound system in my opinion. Stay Tuned, updates to follow as soon as everything is in!

I know, I know I'm a nutcase.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Renfri

Those look badarse! Morel FTW!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Kwame

Yes sir. The Morel fanboy within me is really excited to get my hands on this set.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i saw them in january at CES and snapped a pic

but knowing you, why not go supremo?

b
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
QdotJ

Kwame, I've got first dibs on your "old never seen the road" speakers when you get your new ones...
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
yeah i saw them in january at CES and snapped a pic

but knowing you, why not go supremo?

b
I would have done the Supremo during my initial install last year but the Supremo 3-ways were not available at that time. The Supremo in my opinion is a more accurate speaker than the Elate. However, the Elate is much more versatile when it comes to playing different types of music.

I heard that the engineers at Morel basically took the best qualities of both speakers and created one "super speaker" set with these Morel Elate Limited Editions. I bet this speaker set will absolutely kick a$$ with amount of power I am sending to my current set of Elates (400W to the 6", 100W to the 4" and 100W to the Tweets). Bing if you have anymore inside info on these please send it my way.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 PM
KelekonaKustoms

its sooooooooo purty!!

Congrats on the new speakers, id love to hear how they sound!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I would have done the Supremo during my initial install last year but the Supremo 3-ways were not available at that time. The Supremo in my opinion is a more accurate speaker than the Elate. However, the Elate is much more versatile when it comes to playing different types of music.

I heard that the engineers at Morel basically took the best qualities of both speakers and created one "super speaker" set with these Morel Elate Limited Editions. I bet this speaker set will absolutely kick a$$ with amount of power I am sending to my current set of Elates (400W to the 6", 100W to the 4" and 100W to the Tweets). Bing if you have anymore inside info on these please send it my way.
Man 400W to your 6", I really need to get another amp for my 10" Elate woofer. It REALLY struggles down low and I'm pretty sure its because of the lack of power. I also want to step up from my Integra Ovations but I still autocross the car and weight is a premium.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Upgrading already?? LOL Wish I was closer so I could hear this thing.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
Upgrading already?? LOL Wish I was closer so I could hear this thing.
You might be able to. I might come out to your coast for a month when this car is done soon. I need a vacation, I can see myself spending a month out in Cali with the car. Of course I will keep you informed.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

^ Cool.... Invite's open ended. I'm sure Michelle would love to tell you what kind of woman you should be with. HA HA HA!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
^ Cool.... Invite's open ended. I'm sure Michelle would love to tell you what kind of woman you should be with. HA HA HA!
Mike you CRAZY!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Kwame

Soo... old thread new update.

I eighty-sixed the idea of going with the limited edition Elates that I posted I was purchasing above. After hearing them in person I like the ones that I have currently much better. They sound was "tight" but in a bad way so to speak I think its due to the use of the carbon fiber cone.

In any case I'm currently in the market for a line driver and a 30 band parametric equalizer. I'm not currently having any noise issues, I'm just trying to get more out of my setup. I have an idea of what products I am going to purchase but I am willing to entertain suggestions.

***I might just wait for the JBL MS8 for those that know about it. Then again who knows when that will come out.***
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Soo... old thread new update.

I eighty-sixed the idea of going with the limited edition Elates that I posted I was purchasing above. After hearing them in person I like the ones that I have currently much better. They sound was "tight" but in a bad way so to speak I think its due to the use of the carbon fiber cone.

In any case I'm currently in the market for a line driver and a 30 band parametric equalizer. I'm not currently having any noise issues, I'm just trying to get more out of my setup. I have an idea of what products I am going to purchase but I am willing to entertain suggestions.

***I might just wait for the JBL MS8 for those that know about it. Then again who knows when that will come out.***
i hear that man if it ever comes out lol.

Im gonna start a thread about mine tonight or tomorrow and get some pics up i gotta clean up the interior first though i havent cleaned it just been listening non stop haha. Im satisfied with the control through my drz9255 for now but im sure in 6 months to a year ill be ready for some better controlling.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
i hear that man if it ever comes out lol.

Im gonna start a thread about mine tonight or tomorrow and get some pics up i gotta clean up the interior first though i havent cleaned it just been listening non stop haha. Im satisfied with the control through my drz9255 for now but im sure in 6 months to a year ill be ready for some better controlling.
Honestly, who wouldn't want this? I hope the hype is real. I mean I wouldn't leave everything up to the bitone since my ears are my ears but its damn sure going to help with **** I can't get to sound just right.

I'm also looking at the Audison Bitone.

I've received lots of PM and a bunch of questions about how this thing will work, so this is more for informative purposes than a shameless plug for our product...For those of you who may be wondering about this thing, Here's a description:

MS-8 comes with the pre-amp/amp, a small display, a wireless remote control, a binaural microphone and a setup CD.

MS-8 will have 8 speaker level inputs, 8 line level inputs and an iPod input. The inputs are summed to provide a full-range 2-channel signal. If 6 or fewer inputs are required, then the last 2 can be used for an additional aux input.

There are no digital inputs. Why? Because the real benefit of digital input is "no noise". The downside to providing one is that for 99 percent of users, it's more hassle than it's worth and will cause a great deal of confusion. Not too many people understand that the connector doesn't determine the signal. What I mean is, if we put a toslink input and a user hooks up a toslink output, it will only work is the signal is compatible. DVD-Audio isn't available on a digital output, DVD signals are 48k, PCM is 44.1, home-made digital audio can be anything. The signal from tuners is often only output on the RCAs. For the vast majority of users, there is no benefit and too much opportunity for disappointment. As far as noise goes, our inputs are differential, so the commoon mode noise rejection is super high. There won't be any noise.

There are 8 input channels, so the 8 speaker level inputs and 8 line level inputs are basically in parallel. You can use any combination.

Once the signals have been combined and un-EQed (for a flat 2-channel signal), the signal is processed with Logic7. That provides signal steering for a center channel (if you have one--if not, no problem) and processing for side and rear channels. L7 works on any 2-channel source and is our version is written for cars rather than live-in rooms, so it sounds MUCH better than any of the encoded formats in a car. The 2-channel downmix of any encoded DVD or DVD-A disc will play back in full surround. If good-old 2-channel is what you want, L7 is defeatable and the channels are fully configurable (there are 8 output channels and they can be pre-amp channels or powered channels--20W x 8 at 4 ohms, 30W at 2 ohms). You can have 3-way front, a center and a sub, 2-way front, rear and a sub...whatever you want to do.

The electronic crossover that's built in is fully configurable. You can assign any channel to be anything and it includes an EZ setup mode and an advanced mode. In EZ setup, you tell each channel the speaker location (front right, for example), then you tell it what speaker is connected (6" full-range). It sets the crossover point. In advanced mode, you tell the channel the location (right front) and then assign a filter type (HP, LP, BP) and then you set the filter frequency (you can assign any value between 20 at 20kHz) and the slope (1st-4th order).

After the crossover setup is completed, you move on to the EQ. You put on the microphones (they look like airline headphones but contain mics instead of speakers) and insert the CD. The display will give you some instructions to sit in the driver's seat and look at the left mirror and press "go". the unit will make a quick sweep of all 8 output channels. Then it will ask you to look forward and will make another sweep. Finally, it'll ask you to look to the right--another quick sweep. You can measure only the driver's seat or up to 4 seats. After the measurements are made (takes about 5 minutes) the unit will calculate the frequency response, level and arrival time for all 8 channels in each seat and crunch some numbers (another 30 seconds or so). It auto-tunes the car with 48 measurements per seat (up to 4 seats). It will output a tuning optimized for the driver, passenger, compromise between driver and passenger and one for the rear seats. If you use a center channel, both front seats will sound the same and the image will be great for rear seat passengers too.

After the auto-tuning is done, it will allow you to change the target curve. You can call up a 31-band EQ tool and make whatever changes you want. Unlike a regular EQ, you don't have to find an RTA and tune the car with the EQ, you just draw the curve you want to hear and press "go" and it does the work in implementing your curve. Then you can switch back and forth between your curve and the automatic one and continue making changes until you're satisfied. The curve you draw will always be adjusted in level so that the maximum number of bits are available to describe the signal (optimized for dynamic range). Once you save the curve, you can access any of the settings optimized for any seat using the remote control and the display.

You can turn Logic7 on and off, adjust the level of the center channel, use a balance control, fader, 3 or 11-band graphic EQ or adjust the level of the bass. THe bass control isn't a gain control for the subwoofer output, it's a filter that works with the crossover and applies the right amount of bass to ALL channels so the illusion of bass up front isn't destroyed when you turn up the bass.

Answers to some likely questions:

1. You don't have to use the unit's volume control. You can use the one in the head-unit if you want to.
2. Maximum input voltage on the RCAs is 2V and 15V on the speaker level inputs. The signal is converted directly into digital after the preamp buffer, so a high signal level is far less important in this device than in conventional ones. The input is fully differential, so there won't be noise. I suggest speaker level connections because they are COMPLETELY isolated from ground.
3. The automatic EQ isn't exactly parametric or graphic. It's a very powerful algorithm that works on the impulse response to adjust both time and frequency response. It's amazing and does in about 30 seconds what I can do with an 80 band parametric EQ, crossover, time alignment and a serious analyzer in about 3 days.
4. The display doesn't have to be mounted. If you don't want iPod control or the ability to adjust after setup, you can unplug the display and use MS-8 as a "black box".
5. The unit is small--about 8.5" x 11" x 2.5"
6. Price will be about $800...TBD
7. The software is updatable via USB and a PC.

It does what all other OEM integration tools do and what every other DSP (EQ, Crossover, Time alignment, 7.1) processors do, but it sounds better, is easier to use, is less expensive and is far more advanced in terms of DSP power. Best of all, it's a tool you can be successful with, rather than a whiz-bang collection of filters and adjustment possibilities that require a PhD in acousitcs to use.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Get_Zwole

man just read that and it got me excited haha. They need to hurry the hell up. Im eager to see if it works as well as they claim. As long as its taken i hope so.

Quick Reply: High-End Audio Build Complete!!! (McIntosh, Morel, Seas Lotus Inside)