Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkemtp
No problem man, it's all good. I'll post pics when I do the install in Violet's 'Burb. Nothing fancy on the install front, but I'm pretty much decided on the Kenwood gear up front, Alpine headrest monitors for the rear seat passengers.
I appreciate your participation, and value your input and comments.

I can tell you from personal experience that you will really like the Alpine headrest monitors. The display is about the best I’ve seen (great color balance, sharpness, and terrific image).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 03-24-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
The “bezel/LCD mount” in the pic looks very nice. I assume this is a custom fabrication. It certainly solves the recurring question constantly asked about how to mount LCD’s in later year Z’s.

Could you provide more detail on this LCD mount?

--Spike
Sorry, as for now all I have is this picture. If I get any more information I will share it with the community.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Sorry, as for now all I have is this picture. If I get any more information I will share it with the community.
No problem. Any respectable shop doing fabrication should be able to do this easily. Your great picture shows what the fabricator needs to do.

As long as we are on this topic, I would like to ask you more about your company. I keep seeing your posts and would like to know about the services you offer.

I am always interested in the Vendors on my 350z.com since the Vendors here consistently offer the best products, advice, and solutions for our members. My decision is to buy only and everything from our Vendors.

The problem I see is that there is no dedicated area (subform?) here where the Vendors can identify them self and fully describe their services and products. It seems to be mostly a disjointed advertising situation.

--Spike
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
No problem. Any respectable shop doing fabrication should be able to do this easily. Your great picture shows what the fabricator needs to do.

As long as we are on this topic, I would like to ask you more about your company. I keep seeing your posts and would like to know about the services you offer.

I am always interested in the Vendors on my 350z.com since the Vendors here consistently offer the best products, advice, and solutions for our members. My decision is to buy only and everything from our Vendors.

The problem I see is that there is no dedicated area (subform?) here where the Vendors can identify them self and fully describe their services and products. It seems to be mostly a disjointed advertising situation.

--Spike
We are strictly a mail order parts outfit. No installs except on our own shop cars. We try to show our face on this forum as much as we can to show our support for the community.

Is this what you are looking for?

https://my350z.com/forum/showgroups.php

If you want to see what a sponsor's specific services are I do suppose you could always click on their respective screennames' and view their signatures. I know most of us either have a link to our website or something related to what we offer to the community.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Spike100

^^ Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate our Sponsors and their participation since they support this Site and provide great information, solutions, and products.

--Spike
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
bluezup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sup spike, it took a while but i finally got all my kenwood stuff in.

i got the chance to meet THEDUKE after he sold me a new kenwood backup camera, hes gonna help me with the installs this weekend. really cool guy.

i post up my results when i can.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Spike100

^^ I’m looking forward to seeing your audio-build. Please post lots of pics.

For sure THEDUKE commands a great deal of respect. His posts are great and accurate. Everyone who knows him says he is a quality guy.

--Spike
Old 07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
boostshakalaka

would it be possible to subsitute the KNA-G510 and DDX7019 for the DNX7120 and end up with the same results?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

yes..
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike100

Your question…
Originally Posted by boostshakalaka
would it be possible to subsitute the KNA-G510 and DDX7019 for the DNX7120 and end up with the same results?
…and ncparamedic’s response…
Originally Posted by ncparamedic
yes..
ncparademic is correct. In fact separating your navigation device from your double-din device is wise. Here’s why:
  • DVD players, LCD screens, USB connections, etc. are all stable technology. That’s not the case with navigation devices which are continually evolving.
  • If you purchase an “all-in-one” device (one that does everything including navigation), you can expect the navigation component to be outdated before the rest of the device’s features need replacement.
  • The Z’s interior with its many and well-positioned “cubbys” is ideal for mounting separate components. This is especially true for navigation devices. A great position for a remote navigation “black box” is the upper/small cubby spaces behind the driver and passenger seat. You can easily put your remote navigation device in one of these slots, and connect this to either a Double-Din LCD device, or go another step an install a LCD screen in the upper/forward cubby position (which is best for viewing navigation).
  • If you go the “component navigation” scenario, your choices are Alpine, Kenwood, or Garmin. Any of these solutions are great, and they all allow scalable solutions. I am currently using a Garmin device, and that is actually the same as Kenwood except that Kenwood supports touch-screen operation.

No company matches the versatility you have when installing a Kenwood KOS system. The Kenwood KOS system is scalable and supports all current technology (including stock/OEM H/U’s) with built-in capability to support future devices. Kenwood KOS is pretty amazing for a lot of reasons.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-10-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:49 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

To update..I have recently acquired the following and it is waiting on me to come home
1. DDX 812
2. KNA G510 Navi
3. KOS L702
4. Extra cubby for 07, so i can tinker with it to see if i can get the L702 to fit like the 03's..
5. Nazar's glove box enclosure with JL Audio 10w3v3 sub
6. Alpine type R component speakers for the rear/doors
7. Dash kit / harness's

Still not purchase but will within the next few days..
1. JL Audio 300/4 & 500/1 Amps
2. KOS V500

I cant wait to see how this is all going to go..though i am a little intimidated..lol
Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Crap..i just realized looking at that..i will need an alarm...

add it to the list
Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Spike100

You have selected a great list of components. Please take lots of pics during the installation-process This will certainly be one of the better installs we have seen on my350z.com.

Your installation is fairly stealth, but I understand (and agree) that it’s worth protecting with a good alarm system.

--Spike
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

will do..i will have about 11 days once i get to houston..need to plan on a few days with this...
Old 07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Default Quick question...

Ok I just purchased my 2 amps and speakers so here is my list..

1. DDX 812
2. KNA G510 Navi
3. KOS L702
4. Extra cubby for 07, so i can tinker with it to see if i can get the L702 to fit like the 03's..
5. Nazar's glove box enclosure with JL Audio 10w3v3 sub
6. Alpine type R component speakers for the rear/doors
7. Dash kit / harness's
8. JL Audio 4/300 and 1/500 amps.

Right now i am going to hold off on the KOS v500 until i figure out how to make the L702 fit in the 07 cubby.

My question is this. What will i need as far as the install on my amps. I also want to do a rewire on my door speakers and rear speakers. What size wire would you suggest?

Suggestions are appreciated.

S
Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

I also forgot to ask...how much dampening material would you suggest?? I want to dampen the glove box the sub goes in and the speaker areas..what else would you suggest for a ZR..
Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Dee Singh

Default Hey

Im new on here man i just joined to found out more about my Z...i Have a 350Z base and i wanted to install a carputer in it...since i have lots of computers layin around home nd i wanted a screen in my car anyway...i was wonderin how hard it is to install a carputer in a Z nd how do i put the 7 inch screen above the sterio where the navi is in the tourin Z...It will help BUNCH thanks!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Spike100

^^ The 350 Z is perfect for a CarPC. That is because the Z has a numerous cubbies where you can install a plethora of components.
  • The two large cubbies (glove box behind the passenger seat and Bose SubW compartment behind the driver’s seat) are cavernous and hold a lot of stuff.
  • The upper-rear cubbies are great to hold small components that you frequently access.
  • The upper/forward cubby is the perfect spot to place your CarPC’s RGB 7” monitor.
  • That still leaves you with the double-din slot to place additional electronics.
my350z.com is the best site for everything about the Z, but if you want very specific advice about installing a CarPC into the Z, there are sites that have more information on this. You find these sites by Googling “Car PC + 350Z.”

A tip: If you do go onto any sites that are specific to CarPC’s, spend hours searching before you start a thread or ask a question. The CarPC guys are “animals,” and they will ding you hard if you have not spent time searching.

--Spike
Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Mikey-Z

Since it's slightly OT, i'll make this short.

Check out www.mp3car.com for carputers. Search "350z" and quite a few installs will come up.

My own install is on here as well:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...kicks-etc.html

03-05 Zs, screen mounting is super easy, later models a little harder, stock parts a little bit more expensive. Hardware & connections are the easy part, it's the software install, integration, front end, and putting everything together seamlessly is what could cause problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Spike100

^^ Good post/msg. You are not OT at all since this thread is meant to present things such as two screens for better information-delivery, and a teaser for future products. And… the rest of my message is OT about CarPC’s.

I’m very sure that we are going to see sophisticated systems in the near future (within a year or two) that are simplified versions of a CarPC. The merger that XM and Sirius are requesting will certainly present an entirely new paradigm. When this merger happens, you can expect a new generation of GPS guidance blended with current features such as road conditions, traffic reports, etc. The subscriber will have live voice guidance, traffic and road conditions, and instant map and route updates; all delivered via satellite instead of the stored mapping database that we have now. Stored mapping data suffers from constant changes as cities continually add new roads. And, this merger blends the GPS stuff with entertainment channels broadcasted from XM/Sirius, along with internet access.

This is the reason I like the Kenwood KOS system. It’s scalable, meaning that you can install either of the KOS Controllers, and use this to feed the next generation of devices into your car’s CES. The KOS system is a structured connection system meant to go far into the future without suffering any limitations. You will simply add devices (LCD screens, GPS, satellite radio, HD radio, Internet, etc.). Its design and intention is meant to be simple and easy to use. For example, the current arrangement will run the entire CES using either a touch-screen monitor or a handheld IR remote.

CarPC’s do pretty much all this now (except for the satellite features… the current ones and the future additions, but you can add GPS using the Internet with a CarPC), but a CarPC is a sophisticated system that requires a lot of effort installing the hardware and software, and lacks an easy and clear instruction-set for the installation and operation.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-23-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)